Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:53 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,884,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
White people there can have Mexican lite accents. Not like Dallas where they sound kinda Midwest and not like Houston where they talk with Southern drawls. In San Antonio even the Whites have taken on a sort of Spanish influenced speech pattern. At least from what I have noticed. Met a Nordic looking lady of German descent and she sounded like a Latina who learned English later in life. Her husband was also a White guy.
Although in Houston, there are so many people from all over the world that the Southern influence on accents is fading away as generations pass on. Most of the kids, including white kids, don't have Southern accents except in some lower income areas of the city. That's not meant to be a criticism; just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 09:29 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,518,561 times
Default San Antonio and New Mexico

I have visited both, and most people there are Hispanic or Latino born in the USA.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:56 AM

633 posts, read 581,465 times
Weston Florida is Spanish

Old 10-05-2016, 08:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Very interested to see white this would go. I am looking to see if there are majority Hispanic (or plurality) cities where the following is true:

Moderate to low crime
Moderate to low obesity levels
Low incidence of gang violence
High incidence of college degree completion

My thoughts on this probably:

San Diego
San Francisco
Tampa
New York
Boston
To search for Hispanic cities that are NOT the "bad things" would suggest to me that the presumption is that majority/plurality Hispanic cities are presumed to be the bad things.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:46 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
To search for Hispanic cities that are NOT the "bad things" would suggest to me that the presumption is that majority/plurality Hispanic cities are presumed to be the bad things.
I can't claim to know how Cuban or Puerto Rican neighborhoods are, but Mexican and Hispano neighborhoods tend to (more often than not, unfortunately) have more of these bad things OP speak of.

I grew up in a Mexican (67.3%) neighborhood (74.6% Latino): http://www.city-data.com/city/Home-G...alifornia.html.

and we had high crime (burglary, theft, and many of the requisite bars on windows to prevent said things)
fat people
gang violence (shootings, drive-bys)
and people had a hard enough time finishing high school, let alone college

along with a lot of teen pregnancy, drug use, alcohol problems, poverty, language isolation, and a lack of services (unincorporated county area, e.g. no park to play in, no library until recently, all shopping in adjacent cities).

Many of these "bad things" are cultural. Vestiges of the old countries. Still a better life in America though, and the children of newly arrived immigrants don't always appreciate how good they have it. Education isn't always a priority, and things like crime, gang violence, and cyclical poverty sprout up out of that.

In urban California, Latinos who are better off don't segregate themselves into rich little Latino enclaves. They live where rich people of all kinds live. Which is how it should be tbh.

In California's Central Valley, and farm towns in Oregon and Washington, these places were founded on agriculture, and have little more to offer than farm towns in other states, and some of them turn out like the neighborhood I grew up in (but occasionally with less crime), but also contain no more upward mobility (again, cultural).

In Colorado and New Mexico, the Hispanic/Latino neighborhoods have less of an excuse. They more often than not are Americans, they more often speak English, but yet these places still have many of the same problems with achieving upward mobility. My hypothesis is cyclical poverty in many of the cases within these states.

Also, to a much greater extent than California, Colorado's Hispanic/Latinos do tend to segregate themselves more (both rich and poor), and if there is a "better to do" Hispanic/Latino community (as OP describes) within Colorado, it would be the northern half of the city of Thornton, and the surrounding area (Reunion, Dacono/Frederick/Firestone, Brighton, etc). This area is still not majority or plurality Hispanic/Latino, but is no less than 25%, and middle class+, but also not necessarily elite by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:03 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,575 times
Quote:
White people there can have Mexican lite accents. Not like Dallas where they sound kinda Midwest and not like Houston where they talk with Southern drawls. In San Antonio even the Whites have taken on a sort of Spanish influenced speech pattern. At least from what I have noticed. Met a Nordic looking lady of German descent and she sounded like a Latina who learned English later in life. Her husband was also a White guy.
I have noticed some African American's who have moved from Cali to DFW with a Mexican "chicano" accent recently. Not widespread but some.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:57 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I have noticed some African American's who have moved from Cali to DFW with a Mexican "chicano" accent recently. Not widespread but some.
Heck, it happens in NYC sometimes when Blacks hang around a lot of Puerto Ricans. Rare but it does happen.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:02 PM

431 posts, read 521,516 times
Quote:
Heck, it happens in NYC sometimes when Blacks hang around a lot of Puerto Ricans. Rare but it does happen.
lol Or they could just be Puerto Ricans but you assumed they were African American..

Old 10-05-2016, 12:21 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
lol Or they could just be Puerto Ricans but you assumed they were African American..
No. I knew some who were not Latino. I know Latino isn't a race and Black Ricans exist.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:54 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Blacks influenced Nuyorican speech way more than the other way around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.