Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 11:12 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,214,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
DC/Baltimore isn't one city; it isn't even one metropolitan area.
It also is not ON the east coast. Trust me. I live on the east coast and they spend hours in traffic getting here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 01:22 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
How? The east coast is all the states that border: the eastern Atlantic coast. Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Miami, and Virginia Beach are east coast cities just as much as New York, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia.

For one thing, the cities I named are literally on the Atlantic Coast. DC is over 120 miles away. Baltimore is not on the Atlantic either. Philadelphia is not even in a coastal state.

It doesn't get any more "east coast" than the I-95 corridor. Any state that borders the Atlantic Ocean (plus Pennsylvania, Vermont, and W Virginia imo) is true "east coast."

I'm not exactly sure why the southern half was left out.
Philly is literally on the NJ border, so I think that makes it OK that's it's not in a coastal state. Also its MSA includes Delaware and most of South Jersey + its influence extends all the way to the shore.

I don't know if state lines are the best way to do this. Philly is definitely east coast, but it seems like a stretch to call Western PA by the Ohio border east coast too. Also Places in Western NY like Buffalo.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:39 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Philly is literally on the NJ border, so I think that makes it OK that's it's not in a coastal state. Also its MSA includes Delaware and most of South Jersey + its influence extends all the way to the shore.
I said that Philly is okay. My point was Philadelphia can't be considered "east coast" if Charleston, Jacksonville, and Miami aren't, when those cities are literally on the Atlantic Ocean, unlike Washington, Baltimore, and Philly.

Pennsylvania still counts. The entire I-95 corridor counts. Miami to Maine.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:54 PM

74 posts, read 60,963 times
Once sea-levels rise, Philadelphia will become truly coastal, so don't worry.

Philadelphia is as East Coast as East Coast gets. The big three cities that rule East Coast culture are NYC, Philly and Boston.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:12 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I said that Philly is okay. My point was Philadelphia can't be considered "east coast" if Charleston, Jacksonville, and Miami aren't, when those cities are literally on the Atlantic Ocean, unlike Washington, Baltimore, and Philly.

Pennsylvania still counts. The entire I-95 corridor counts. Miami to Maine.
Miami a and Jacksonville are southern. When people say "east coast" they are referring to the ne coast. Not literally the whole east coast.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Miami a and Jacksonville are southern. When people say "east coast" they are referring to the ne coast. Not literally the whole east coast.
No, they're referring to the entire eastern seaboard. The Northeast is the Northeast, just like how the Southeast is the Southeast.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:57 PM

969 posts, read 2,072,564 times
Miami is capital of the east coast

Old 11-24-2016, 06:09 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Not trying to know you Jman but this is incorrect. Just look at what you typed "ne coast" (Northeast). If there is a Northeast then there has to be a Southeast. And the Southeast does have a coastline on the Atlantic Ocean - does it not?

I do not how this incorrect geography started, maybe because 100 years ago most people lived in the Northeast so people starting thinking of the East Coast as just the Northeast but it is incorrect. And geographers agree, the US East Coast is from Maine to Florida.

East Coast Map, Map of East Coast, East Coast States USA, Eastern US (East Coast Map)
Map of the East Coast - East Coast Tours & Travel Vacation Packages - USEastCoastTours.com (another East Coast Map)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_C..._United_States (East Coast of the United States)

The East Coast of the United States is the coastline along which the Eastern United States meets the North Atlantic Ocean. This area is also known as the Eastern Seaboard, the Atlantic Coast, and the Atlantic Seaboard. The coastal states that have shoreline on the Atlantic Ocean are, from north to south, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_1 (US Route 1)

U.S. Route 1 (US 1) is a major north–south U.S. Highway that serves the East Coast of the United States. It runs 2,369 miles (3,813*km), from Fort Kent, Maine, at the Canada–US border, south to Key West, Florida, making it the longest north-south road in the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95 (Interstate 95)

Interstate 95 (I-95) is the main Interstate Highway on the East Coast of the United States,[2] running largely parallel to the Atlantic Ocean and U.S. Highway 1, serving areas between Florida and New England inclusive. In general, I-95 serves metropolitan areas such as Boston, Providence, New York, Philadelphia, Wilmington, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C. in the Northeast down to the Mid-Atlantic, and Richmond, Fayetteville, Savannah, Jacksonville, and Miami in the Southeast.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:34 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Not trying to know you Jman but this is incorrect. Just look at what you typed "ne coast" (Northeast). If there is a Northeast then there has to be a Southeast. And the Southeast does have a coastline on the Atlantic Ocean - does it not?

I do not how this incorrect geography started, maybe because 100 years ago most people lived in the Northeast so people starting thinking of the East Coast as just the Northeast but it is incorrect. And geographers agree, the US East Coast is from Maine to Florida.

[url=http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/east-coast-usa.html]East Coast Map, Map of East Coast, East Coast States USA, Eastern US[/url] (East Coast Map)
[url=http://www.useastcoasttours.com/east-coast-map.html]Map of the East Coast - East Coast Tours & Travel Vacation Packages - USEastCoastTours.com[/url] (another East Coast Map)

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Coast_of_the_United_States[/url] (East Coast of the United States)

The East Coast of the United States is the coastline along which the Eastern United States meets the North Atlantic Ocean. This area is also known as the Eastern Seaboard, the Atlantic Coast, and the Atlantic Seaboard. The coastal states that have shoreline on the Atlantic Ocean are, from north to south, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_1[/url] (US Route 1)

U.S. Route 1 (US 1) is a major north–south U.S. Highway that serves the East Coast of the United States. It runs 2,369 miles (3,813*km), from Fort Kent, Maine, at the Canada–US border, south to Key West, Florida, making it the longest north-south road in the United States.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95[/url] (Interstate 95)

Interstate 95 (I-95) is the main Interstate Highway on the East Coast of the United States,[2] running largely parallel to the Atlantic Ocean and U.S. Highway 1, serving areas between Florida and New England inclusive. In general, I-95 serves metropolitan areas such as Boston, Providence, New York, Philadelphia, Wilmington, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C. in the Northeast down to the Mid-Atlantic, and Richmond, Fayetteville, Savannah, Jacksonville, and Miami in the Southeast.
Yes. Geographically I know geographers say the east coast is literally the whole east coast. Isn't that common sense. People know what a coast is and what direction east is. I clarified in my last post what people were actually referring to when talking about the east coast.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:34 PM

Who are these "people?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.