Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 02:41 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

The most conservative area in the US is actually not the Southern US or Appalachia, rather its the area of the Western Plains from the Texas Panhandle up to the Dakotas. Amarillo, Texas might be a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 04:18 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Maybe Midland or Lubbock or Abilene or San Angelo in Texas.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Oklahoma City, where possession of marijuana first offense = 1 year in jail. Even very Red States don't have those dinosaur-era type of pot laws anymore.

Oklahoma Marijuana

Old 12-31-2016, 07:26 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Oklahoma City, where possession of marijuana first offense = 1 year in jail. Even very Red States don't have those dinosaur-era type of pot laws anymore.

Oklahoma Marijuana
I agree with this. Oklahoma City is hyper-conservative to the extreme. The Baptist moralists pretty much run and control everything. It's hard to believe while other states are legalizing marijuana, OKC is raiding head shops and the state tried to sue Colorado. I will be shocked if it isn't 30+ years before marijuana is legal in Oklahoma. OKC is probably one of the only places where a state legislator can publicly go on rants about how the LGBT community is worse than terrorists and be re-elected two more times. You can't buy real beer at a grocery store and the liquor stores close at 9PM and on Sunday (In Oklahoma they sell watered down 3.2% beer). It's actually a little too right wing here for even a lot of "conservatives" from other parts of the country i.e. those that really support small government.

If the OP aligns with the religious right, they might like OKC. If you are a small government libertarian conservative who doesn't want a nanny-state in their business, I would look elsewhere.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:29 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Oh good lord, every suburb of Kansas City. Please, come, take my spot. My liberal butt is high tailing it to Seattle next year thanks to the Orange One, you can take my place.

I want to be where the people are. But not in the Midwest or much less, the South.

Last edited by Bluefox; 12-31-2016 at 07:40 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Oh good lord, every suburb of Kansas City. Please, come, take my spot. My liberal butt is high tailing it to Seattle next year thanks to the Orange One, you can take my place.

I want to be where the people are. But not in the Midwest or much less, the South.
You have to live in a blue state because of Trump?

Old 01-01-2017, 12:59 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
The most conservative area in the US is actually not the Southern US or Appalachia, rather its the area of the Western Plains from the Texas Panhandle up to the Dakotas. Amarillo, Texas might be a good fit.
Thanks. Not far from where I am now, Albuquerque. I hate it here and don't want my baby boy raised in this state.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Thanks. Not far from where I am now, Albuquerque. I hate it here and don't want my baby boy raised in this state.
Just because of the liberal politics?

Old 01-01-2017, 02:04 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
why dont you like the Land of Enchantment?

Old 01-01-2017, 08:30 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
OP, I wish you would clarify your terms as for what "kind" of conservatism (i.e. politically, religiously, fiscally, etc.) you're looking for, and what size city or town you'd like.

Without knowing your specifics, it's hard to say what you'd like. Here in my own deep-blue state of Maryland, you'd be surprised at just how much of the place is conservative. Garrett County (far western edge of the state) or Carroll County (to the northwest of Baltimore) could hold their own against any red state. If you want a small city that's tucked away in the mountains, but still has interstate highway links to the rest of the world, you could try Cumberland. It's seen better days, that's true, but it has an undeniable charm to it. There's also Frederick, a somewhat larger city with a wonderful downtown and much closer to the center of the state. It's still conservative, though not quite as much as it used to be.

Maryland has been called "America in miniature," and this holds true politically as in many other ways. A substantial majority of the state is conservative, in terms of land area; but the relatively compact liberal areas in the central part of the state are where the great majority of the population resides.

If you want your state as a whole to be conservative, I'd keep looking. But if you want a conservative town or city or county, without regard to the statewide majority, you could do worse then checking us out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.