Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:23 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times

Advertisements

HHmmm... from a traveling point...

Cleanest: Wisconsin.. by a mile. Followed by Nebraska and Iowa.

Worst: Mississippi. Yea, it's not too bad around the interstates, but get off the beaten path and it's trash city. In NE MS I couldn't figure out why everyone had these big metal container basket like looking things right beside their driveway out at the road. It was their trash container's. Ugh...

New Mexico: Certain parts (ABQ) were actually pretty clean.. but once again.. get away from the interstate.. Trash... blowing trash... I thought Farmington was one of the worst places I'd ever seen as far as trash...

Georgia: The northern section of GA in the mountains is absolutely beautiful. Problem isn't trash per say, as much as it is junk... usually piled up by an old house somewhere. Some people think it adds to the charm... I say it would be much better to see the trees and mountains and the natural beauty...

Personally, I wouldn't even throw an apple core out of my car window... what's so hard about waiting to throw your trash out at the next gas station trash container?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:05 PM

5 posts, read 8,553 times
Dirtiest: PA...especially Philly. MS, most anywhere in the state is filthy. How anyone on here could say MS is clean
must either be blind, or have a very unusual idea of what clean is. The South, in general,
is dirty...what do you think the nickname "The Dirty South" is in reference to?
Cleanest: WI...could practically eat off there streets, I guess high taxes are good for something.

Last edited by MY228; 04-12-2011 at 09:13 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM

299 posts, read 641,845 times
Out of the places I've been to, Faker County and the whole surrounding area of Northern Virginia was the cleanest.

Quote:
MS, most anywhere in the state is filthy. How anyone on here could say MS is clean
must either be blind, or have a very unusual idea of what clean is. The South, in general,
is dirty...what do you think the nickname "The Dirty South" is in reference to?
I'm in the South too and agree with you about MS some areas of this region. But there are a couple of gems out there that are very clean and well kept. I live in such a town.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
I was helping a co-working move his family's stuff down here to Cincinnati last weekend from Pittsburgh and I was shocked how dirty it was. Trash littered the parkway, and heading up along The Waterfront through Munhall (which is depressing enough), and then back up on top of Mount Washington. I was suprised. Now, it is spring and all that snow melted and you have all that trash from winter, but it was suprising.

About three weeks ago I was in Oklahoma in OKC and Tulsa, and was suprised by how much trash was along the freeways and out in the rural areas.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 AM

48 posts, read 131,570 times
I'm surprised that TN performs below average. I find my home state to be very clean with interstates in good and smooth condition.

Cleanest States:

Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Utah, Colorado, and most of New England

Dirtiest States:

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, and New Jersey

Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
SE Pennsylvania hands down. When I lived in Philadelphia I would clean my street twice a week. Within hours it was covered in trash again and would be amazed/disgusted at how much it didn't bother anyone. Now that I'm living in Central Florida, it's more a novelty to see any litter on the ground.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:22 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
25 years ago when Texas started it's massive anti-litter campaign, a lot of non-Texans mistakenly thought these signs http://godfoodwine.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/dont.jpg
were just more blowhard, ten gallon hat braggin'

Little did they know that it was a very effective anti-litter campaign that aroused immediate interest & support, especially when the TV ads used state celebrities to "hawk" the message. In just 4 years the amount of roadside litter dropped by 70%.

The Adopt-a-Highway program has also been very effective as has the use of free "community service" labor (people working off sentences for minor crimes).

Of course there are still some places that still get nasty and a lot of trashy yards here & there. After all, it's a relatively free country, and many citizens have no pride in themselves and their surroundings.

Texas also has an annual litter cleanup program for our 600 miles of beaches by the Gulf of Mexico. Since 1988 over 350,000 citizens have volunteered to pick up more than 7,500 tons of litter that has floated ashore or left behind by tourist slobs.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:15 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewonder View Post
America's Dirtiest States--listed "WORST" in 2011 American State Litter Scorecard
1 Kentucky
2 Louisiana
3 Mississippi
3 Nevada
5 Alabama
6 Indiana
7 Georgia
7 Illinois
7 Oklahoma
10 Montana
10 North Dakota
10 Texas
see America's Dirtiest States
By far, the Deep South, from Georgia to Texas, has most Dirtiest states, followed by the lower Midwest south & east of Chicago.
It's really good to not see California on that list

Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 PM

316 posts, read 560,257 times
Looks like some folks no longer have pride or care for the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.