Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 06:49 PM

68 posts, read 115,054 times

Advertisements

I would live 100 miles from civilization I could, but health needs require me to stay within an hour or less from an excellent medical system. I'm up for moving ANYWHERE in the US (would be anywhere in the world, but I don't have the funds or income level to emigrate). Please post your suggestions!

My wish list (I realize I won't find a city with EVERYTHING on this list, but this is the goal. I don't mind driving 30-60 minutes in either direction to check off as many things on this list as possible):

Excellent medical facilities.
FARM-FRIENDLY! Chicken and goat-friendly zoning (not a full-on mini farm, just a few small livestock for personal use).
CHEAP! Affordable property costs to afford yard for said chicken and goats.
TRAILS! Plenty of hiking trails.
TREES! Proximity to national or state parks/forests. Or metro parks that allow camping.
SCIENCE! Museums, science centers open to the public.
A decent economy (i.e., not Detroit or other empty rust belt towns/cities).
Not too hot, not too cold (55-80 most days is my fantasy), snowfall not measured in feet.
Moderate or liberal politically. Environmental regs a plus.
Not in a cultish-Christian region where every song on the radio is about Jesus and every social activity is sponsored by a church.
Proximity to public higher education institutions
Manageable traffic. Cities with chronic all day, everyday, congestion are just not do-able with my health condition.

Note: I'm from the midwest, so my idea of "affordable" is 80-90K or less for a quarter acre (or more), and a habitable (doesn't need to be recently updated, new, or "modern") 2-3 bedroom.

I don't care about:
Night life
Authentic ethnic foods
Public transportation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 06:18 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
You can look into some of the more rural areas of Chatham Co. NC. It's the county that's west of Raleigh and south of Durham and Chapel Hill. You'll be within 30-60 minutes of Duke Medical Center and UNC Hospitals, on the edge of a community of scientists, educators, technologists and researchers centered around three large universities and Research Triangle Park. You'll have access to science museums in both Raleigh and Durham, university resources and you'll live among moderate to progressive population with a slight hippy vibe (in Chatham itself). You'll be in a moderate to progressive mostly rural but suburbanizing county (toward its far north and east mainly) that votes blue. You'll be living basically in a forest in a moderate climate for most of the year with Summer being, well, Summer.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:59 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
I think Little Rock would be perfect for you. The city itself is liberal, though outside the city limits it gets red fast. It has a low cost of living with lots of "exurban" living options available. Lots of trails and natural recreation in the area.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:47 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You can look into some of the more rural areas of Chatham Co. NC. It's the county that's west of Raleigh and south of Durham and Chapel Hill. You'll be within 30-60 minutes of Duke Medical Center and UNC Hospitals, on the edge of a community of scientists, educators, technologists and researchers centered around three large universities and Research Triangle Park. You'll have access to science museums in both Raleigh and Durham, university resources and you'll live among moderate to progressive population with a slight hippy vibe (in Chatham itself). You'll be in a moderate to progressive mostly rural but suburbanizing county (toward its far north and east mainly) that votes blue. You'll be living basically in a forest in a moderate climate for most of the year with Summer being, well, Summer.
I agree and would add Alamance County(west/southwest of Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro) around places like Snow Camp or Saxapahaw.

Saxapahaw, NC

Old 02-28-2017, 04:46 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Davis, CA

A nice semi-rural college town where you might be able to live even without a car (but you'd want a bike at least.)

You probably won't be able to find something within your budget in the city limits though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammichsammich View Post
I would live 100 miles from civilization I could, but health needs require me to stay within an hour or less from an excellent medical system. I'm up for moving ANYWHERE in the US (would be anywhere in the world, but I don't have the funds or income level to emigrate). Please post your suggestions!

My wish list (I realize I won't find a city with EVERYTHING on this list, but this is the goal. I don't mind driving 30-60 minutes in either direction to check off as many things on this list as possible):

Excellent medical facilities.
FARM-FRIENDLY! Chicken and goat-friendly zoning (not a full-on mini farm, just a few small livestock for personal use).
CHEAP! Affordable property costs to afford yard for said chicken and goats.
TRAILS! Plenty of hiking trails.
TREES! Proximity to national or state parks/forests. Or metro parks that allow camping.
SCIENCE! Museums, science centers open to the public.
A decent economy (i.e., not Detroit or other empty rust belt towns/cities).
Not too hot, not too cold (55-80 most days is my fantasy), snowfall not measured in feet.
Moderate or liberal politically. Environmental regs a plus.
Not in a cultish-Christian region where every song on the radio is about Jesus and every social activity is sponsored by a church.
Proximity to public higher education institutions
Manageable traffic. Cities with chronic all day, everyday, congestion are just not do-able with my health condition.

Note: I'm from the midwest, so my idea of "affordable" is 80-90K or less for a quarter acre (or more), and a habitable (doesn't need to be recently updated, new, or "modern") 2-3 bedroom.

I don't care about:
Night life
Authentic ethnic foods
Public transportation

Old 03-02-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Davis, CA

A nice semi-rural college town where you might be able to live even without a car (but you'd want a bike at least.)

You probably won't be able to find something within your budget in the city limits though..

Davis looks amazing, but I don't have the funds to afford what houses in CA go for I double checked around Davis, just to be sure). A mobile home would be my only option, per Realtor and Zillow. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think Little Rock would be perfect for you. The city itself is liberal, though outside the city limits it gets red fast. It has a low cost of living with lots of "exurban" living options available. Lots of trails and natural recreation in the area.

Interesting! I had never considered Arkansas. Will check that out!

Old 03-02-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

Thank you for your ideas. I've been looking very seriously at Western, NC (it has the perfect climate for me), but I'm not sure about how religious the area is and lack of access to city amenities. Isn't central and eastern NC really hot in the summer? These humid continental summers don't agree with me.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:55 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammichsammich View Post
Thank you for your ideas. I've been looking very seriously at Western, NC (it has the perfect climate for me), but I'm not sure about how religious the area is and lack of access to city amenities. Isn't central and eastern NC really hot in the summer? These humid continental summers don't agree with me.
It's hot and humid pretty much everywhere in the continental US during the summer months. You can go either higher altitude in the Rockies or Pacific NW as well as down along the Pacific coast if you can't deal with a couple of months of higher heat and humidity.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:44 AM

412 posts, read 509,163 times
Boulder, CO perhaps. It's close to Denver as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.