Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:33 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Not one character on Breaking Bad actually talked like they were from Albuquerque, nor at any point did anyone exclaim "A la machina!" or similar.

Anna Gunn is actually an ABQ native.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 12:44 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Not a regional accent, more a nationality thing, but I notice lots of American TV shows make all Hispanics sound the same, even when speaking Spanish. I remember watching an episode of Archer that involves a gay Cuban man, and his accent did NOT sound Cuban lol it sounded more like proper Castillian Spanish. A real Cuban would have spoken much faster and cut off the Rs

The Texas accent is often overdone, unless played a Texan. There's also a difference between a Texas accent, and a general Southern accent. Hard to explain, but it exists, and they fail to make the distinction, many times. To hear more authentic Texan accents, even when the actor isn't from Texas, watch King of the Hill. The accents are pretty accurate. But the show takes place in Texas and actually tries to accurately portray Texas. Any show thats set somewhere else and involves the characters going to Texas, or a character from Texas (especially if they got a cowboy get up) will have an awful and exaggerated accent.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:44 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
The southern accent. Most of the time it sounds like someone from the Civil War speaking a "I'm from Chaaaallllston, SC" accent.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:51 AM

105 posts, read 90,814 times
Philadelphia. They make it sound too much like Jersey.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:43 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There's no other city that gets more misrepresented than New Orleans when it comes to accent. Philly is definitely similar to NYC to me, and the New Orleans accent is closest to NYC but they always end up using a typical southern accent.
I don't see this.

Knowing a lot of people from both cities, being close to both urban cultures, I'm not hearing the resemblance to be honest.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:13 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
That old clunker Laverne & Shirley was set in Milwaukee and everyone had NY accents!
Love Actually...my favorite movie... I get a kick out of how they gave a few of the girls from Milwaukee Texas accents.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:54 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,140,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Wow, the Philly accent almost sound like a country southern accent. I would not have been surprised if he said in the clip "I gonna warsh ma car." instead of "I'm going to wash my car."

Old 05-05-2017, 11:59 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Wow, the Philly accent almost sound like a country southern accent. I would not have been surprised if he said in the clip "I gonna warsh ma car." instead of "I'm going to wash my car."
No. That bradley cooper accent sounds nothing like a true urban Philly accent. That bradley cooper accent video sounds like an exaggerated suburban Philly accent with an weird outside of the area twist.

This is an true and natural urban (city proper) Philly accent, which sounds Northeastern to the core.

https://youtu.be/DsKyqsSmyqk

Old 05-06-2017, 12:22 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
I don't know if any of you remember that mini-series from the mid-80s, "North and South" starring Patrick Swayze, but everyone in it who was supposed to be from the South sounded like Foghorn Leghorn.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:47 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I cringe every time someone makes a joke about me being from "New Joisey". For some reason people seem to think everyone in the state has a Jewish 1950's Newark accent lol.
Lol, I posted about that yesterday on another thread. I am 58 years old, have lived in NJ all my life, and I've yet to meet a person from NJ who says Joisey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.