Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 06:17 AM

311 posts, read 314,316 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts? If so, what are the likeliest options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 06:25 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
At this point in history, it seems there's enough monetary investment in most state capitals that I can't see the economic rationale for moving a capital in its entirety, save for some disaster that would make it necessary.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:28 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
It's been 107 years since a state capital changed locations. I don't see that streak ending any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
At this point in history, it seems there's enough monetary investment in most state capitals that I can't see the economic rationale for moving a capital in its entirety, save for some disaster that would make it necessary.
I can see some rationale for places like Chicago and New York becoming the capitals of their respective states because they are the center of their state's populations in their metropolitan areas and much of the states' business is already conducted in those cities with the relevant existing facilities already there. When each state established their capitals, it wasn't at all clear that they would have one city, or metropolitan area at least, grow to nearly monopolize the state's population. When Springfield was chosen as the Illinois capital, Chicago was still a barely inhabited swamp.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:32 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Ever is a long time. But I don't see any moving any time soon.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:50 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It's been 107 years since a state capital changed locations. I don't see that streak ending any time soon.

I can see some rationale for places like Chicago and New York becoming the capitals of their respective states because they are the center of their state's populations in their metropolitan areas and much of the states' business is already conducted in those cities with the relevant existing facilities already there. When each state established their capitals, it wasn't at all clear that they would have one city, or metropolitan area at least, grow to nearly monopolize the state's population. When Springfield was chosen as the Illinois capital, Chicago was still a barely inhabited swamp.
That's actually a clear argument against them becoming capitals. Only 17 capitals are actually the largest cities in their states--the rest are not. Besides the prohibitive financial cost of relocating a capital, there's the political one. Republicans would never stand for the capital moving to a large, Democratic stronghold, which nearly all of the largest cities in our states are.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:55 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Republicans would never stand for the capital moving to a large, Democratic stronghold, which nearly all of the largest cities in our states are.
Precisely!

Old 05-10-2017, 09:53 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
That's actually a clear argument against them becoming capitals. Only 17 capitals are actually the largest cities in their states--the rest are not. Besides the prohibitive financial cost of relocating a capital, there's the political one. Republicans would never stand for the capital moving to a large, Democratic stronghold, which nearly all of the largest cities in our states are.
Well if you include capitals that are part of their state's largest metro area (like St. Paul and Nashville) or others that are among the major economic and cultural hubs of their states (Richmond, Raleigh, Baton Rouge, Austin, etc.), that gives you roughly half of all state capitals. But I completely agree with your overall point, especially the political one.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:22 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
The particulars of Chicago and New York are not just the fact that they are the largest city in their respective states, but that they, or at least their metro areas, house a huge majority of the state's population. Like I mentioned earlier, a great deal of the state's business is already conducted in those cities -- in fact I wouldn't be surprised of more state employees work in and around CHI and NYC than Springfield and Albany -- along with all the facilities where that work is done that it's almost redundant to have the capital elsewhere.

Meanwhile, I don't think Republicans in either state have enough clout to stop the Democrats from doing much of anything, at least not in the long term.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:48 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
If any capital city would move it would be Alaska, Juneau isn't even connected by road to the rest of Alaska, or continent for that matter. Plus it come up in the ballot boxes from time to time
Capital Move History

However with the internet, the location of a capital city isn't as important as it was 50 years ago, plus it would be a vey costly endeavor to move the capital, and would negatively affect Juneau. The only other instance of seeing a new capitol is if we see new states form, for instance SE Alaska becoming it's own state.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:51 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
If any capital city would move it would be Alaska, Juneau isn't even connected by road to the rest of Alaska, or continent for that matter. Plus it come up in the ballot boxes from time to time
Capital Move History

However with the internet, the location of a capital city isn't as important as it was 50 years ago, plus it would be a vey costly endeavor to move the capital, and would negatively affect Juneau. The only other instance of seeing a new capitol is if we see new states form, for instance SE Alaska becoming it's own state.
^this & this alone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.