U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2017, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Tampa - St. Louis
1,090 posts, read 1,626,102 times
Reputation: 1508

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I have a close friend who is mostly Lakota but also a little bit black. She doesn't look black at all, more like a darker version of the other native people you see in Minneapolis but with curly hair. Sometimes people think she is Arab or Colombian.
I often question what this means? What is looking black? Afro-Americans have probably largest phenotype diversity in the United States. We come in a large range of colors and hues, different facial features, hair textures etc. and any Afro-American will tell you that they probably have somebody in their family who is damn near white and somebody in the their family that is dark as night. That's just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2017, 05:34 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,209 posts, read 2,823,898 times
Reputation: 4494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Vanessa Williams and Halle Berry don't look typically Black
The ignorance in this thread peaked here and could only be spoken by someone who isn't black. This was a rather prejudicial statement as well, assuming "typically" black means what you're alluding to. Describe to me what is typically black?

I don't know about anybody else, but I've known plenty of women who self-identify as black who carry similar features as Vanessa or Halle. The fact of the matter is that nearly all "blacks" are MIXED, so there is a wide, wide, wide range of physical characteristics of people who look and self-identify as black. You can't look "mixed", when we all ARE mixed, but I guess you mean, look as if you have one white parent? Again I'd say that's a very narrow view...

I found out through 23andMe that I'm over 26% European, and no one would look at me and say I'm "mixed". But I was raised with a countenance to understand racial history and identification, so while I was surprised to see it as high as 26%, I knew I would have double digit European ancestry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2017, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,209 posts, read 2,823,898 times
Reputation: 4494
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where my mother is from, the Lumbee are in the next county over in NC(Robeson County) and there are certain surnames that are common among the Lumbee(Sampson, Lowry, Revels, etc.), with one them being common within that side of the family. They even have a university(UNC-Pembroke) that is viewed as being a historically Native American institution. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...na_at_Pembroke


https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/co....asp?ID=199281
Your mom is from the Pee Dee, correct? A good grip of blacks in the Pee Dee/Lower Sandhills (Robeson/Scotland) have native ancestry through the Lumbees/Pee Dees, and just as you mentioned, the Lumbees historically had much black intermixing...

The Lumbees are a lost tribe that is even difficult to ascertain their status, though NC recognizes them. When I lived in Fayetteville I worked with and/or knew many people with Lumbee ties (southern Cumberland County, and East Fayetteville tend to have a high proportion of Lumbees). I would say half of Lumbees look as if they are white, the other half look yellow-to-redboned black (but black nonetheless)...the only Lumbees I ever saw who look Native are at the pow wows, where they magically find some old people who look Native. The Lumbees "look" is demonstrative of their complicated history...

Most of the Lumbees I met who looked black acknowledged blackness, and most of them had black family who wasn't necessarily Lumbee. I knew one girl my age who looked black, who denied any hint of blackness and said her lineage was directly from Jesus Christ. She's also the only Lumbee I met who denied any black history within the Lumbees, which was odd because it isn't something that can be denied. And she looked black for certain, what most blacks would call high yellow, with thick, beautiful, coarse hair....

Most of the Lumbees who look white have racist streaks. There is colorism within the Lumbee community...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2017, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
3,295 posts, read 1,647,912 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyaevans View Post
Just curious as to why people see me as black. My birth mother is full blood Irish and my birth father is full blood Lakota (Sioux) American Indian. I do not have any African features and there is no African blood anywhere in my family. Despite that people automatically assume I am african american and compare me to people like mariah carry, vanessa williams and halle berry. I was born with blond hair and blue eyes from my mother and now I have brown hair and blue green eyes. Once I tell people what I am they usually see it but most of the time they say I look black.
Not sure why you posted this in this section, and if this is one of the many fake CD posts, but I'll bite....
As you already know "people" don't usually view American Indians as black. You may have some features that share similarities with blacks. I have an East Indian colleague who is often mistaken as being African American before people see her name. That's the obvious answer. You may be seen as black because of certain features, but overall American Indians aren't.

-btw growing up and until it was actually mentioned, I never knew Mariah Carey had any black heritage in her. I always thought she was white/ Hispanic mix lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2017, 04:15 PM
 
Location: SE Pennsylvania
368 posts, read 268,425 times
Reputation: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I often question what this means? What is looking black? Afro-Americans have probably largest phenotype diversity in the United States. We come in a large range of colors and hues, different facial features, hair textures etc. and any Afro-American will tell you that they probably have somebody in their family who is damn near white and somebody in the their family that is dark as night. That's just the way it is.
Hispanics probably have blacks beat. Especially Caribbean Hispanics (Puerto Ricans/Dominicans) they can come in white to black and anything in between, all in the same family too, thats very common too. They are a very mulatto group, rainbow families are very common. Mexican families can have brown looking native americans to white a55 spaniards, but usually not in the same family like a rainbow mulatto PR family.

In response to OP, never seen a person thats 80%+ Native American and looks black. Native Americans typically dont look black, if anything they look more white. Halle Berry and Mariah Carey arent even fully black they are mixed mulatto (black and white), so they are not good refrences to support ya arguement. And most Natives dont even look like them, unless they are mixed with black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2017, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,209 posts, read 2,823,898 times
Reputation: 4494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Hispanics probably have blacks beat. Especially Caribbean Hispanics (Puerto Ricans/Dominicans) they can come in white to black and anything in between, all in the same family too, thats very common too. They are a very mulatto group, rainbow families are very common. Mexican families can have brown looking native americans to white a55 spaniards, but usually not in the same family like a rainbow mulatto PR family.

In response to OP, never seen a person thats 80%+ Native American and looks black. Native Americans typically dont look black, if anything they look more white. Halle Berry and Mariah Carey arent even fully black they are mixed mulatto (black and white), so they are not good refrences to support ya arguement. And most Natives dont even look like them, unless they are mixed with black.
"Mulatto"...whats with the Jim Crow terminology in here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2017, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Reputation: 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Your mom is from the Pee Dee, correct? A good grip of blacks in the Pee Dee/Lower Sandhills (Robeson/Scotland) have native ancestry through the Lumbees/Pee Dees, and just as you mentioned, the Lumbees historically had much black intermixing...

The Lumbees are a lost tribe that is even difficult to ascertain their status, though NC recognizes them. When I lived in Fayetteville I worked with and/or knew many people with Lumbee ties (southern Cumberland County, and East Fayetteville tend to have a high proportion of Lumbees). I would say half of Lumbees look as if they are white, the other half look yellow-to-redboned black (but black nonetheless)...the only Lumbees I ever saw who look Native are at the pow wows, where they magically find some old people who look Native. The Lumbees "look" is demonstrative of their complicated history...

Most of the Lumbees I met who looked black acknowledged blackness, and most of them had black family who wasn't necessarily Lumbee. I knew one girl my age who looked black, who denied any hint of blackness and said her lineage was directly from Jesus Christ. She's also the only Lumbee I met who denied any black history within the Lumbees, which was odd because it isn't something that can be denied. And she looked black for certain, what most blacks would call high yellow, with thick, beautiful, coarse hair....

Most of the Lumbees who look white have racist streaks. There is colorism within the Lumbee community...
IIRC a recent genetic study of the Lumbee found their genetic breakdown was essentially identical to Puerto Ricans. That is to say, mostly of European descent, around 15% Native American, with the remainder coming from Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 09:27 PM
 
13,570 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Reputation: 4592
The Lumbees are mixed-raced (black and white). They have a similar genetic ancestry to the Melungeons.

https://abagond.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/melungeons/




It became "advantageous" for both groups to call themselves Indians because of the horrific anti-black racist history of the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Tampa - St. Louis
1,090 posts, read 1,626,102 times
Reputation: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Hispanics probably have blacks beat. Especially Caribbean Hispanics (Puerto Ricans/Dominicans) they can come in white to black and anything in between, all in the same family too, thats very common too. They are a very mulatto group, rainbow families are very common. Mexican families can have brown looking native americans to white a55 spaniards, but usually not in the same family like a rainbow mulatto PR family.

In response to OP, never seen a person thats 80%+ Native American and looks black. Native Americans typically dont look black, if anything they look more white. Halle Berry and Mariah Carey arent even fully black they are mixed mulatto (black and white), so they are not good refrences to support ya arguement. And most Natives dont even look like them, unless they are mixed with black.
I would agree that Caribbean Hispanics do have a large variety of skin tones and phenotypes. With that said, in traditional American culture (pre-Civil Rights Act of 1964) most Caribbean Latinos would be considered "black" or of African descent. Also it is important to make the distinction that Latino is also not a "race" it is a culture/ethnicity, much like Afro-American.

Halle Berry is still Afro-American, despite having one white parent, because Afro-American is a culture/ethnicity and not a race. Also the vast majority of Afro-Americans are not full "black", which I'm assuming you mean of full African lineage, because it is a mixed race ethnicity that has it's origins in the United States. There are no Afro-Americans in Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Tampa - St. Louis
1,090 posts, read 1,626,102 times
Reputation: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The ignorance in this thread peaked here and could only be spoken by someone who isn't black. This was a rather prejudicial statement as well, assuming "typically" black means what you're alluding to. Describe to me what is typically black?

I don't know about anybody else, but I've known plenty of women who self-identify as black who carry similar features as Vanessa or Halle. The fact of the matter is that nearly all "blacks" are MIXED, so there is a wide, wide, wide range of physical characteristics of people who look and self-identify as black. You can't look "mixed", when we all ARE mixed, but I guess you mean, look as if you have one white parent? Again I'd say that's a very narrow view...

I found out through 23andMe that I'm over 26% European, and no one would look at me and say I'm "mixed". But I was raised with a countenance to understand racial history and identification, so while I was surprised to see it as high as 26%, I knew I would have double digit European ancestry...
Exactly. I live in South Florida and people always ask what I am or if I'm mixed, often assume I have at least one Hispanic parent. I tell them I'm Afro-American. They say really, you don't look like an American black. I guess to be "really black" you have to look like Wesley Snipes. People that have limited contact with the Afro-American community have no idea how phenotypically diverse the community is. I have cousins with green eyes, my mom has sandy brown hair, my dad is dark brown with straight jet black hair (people think he is Ethiopian), my wife has lose curls and stereo-typically Asian eyes (she is full black).

What I think people fail to realize is that Afro-Americans are the result of not only a large mixing of different Western African ethnicities, but also a large mix of different Western European ethnicities, all with their own unique looks.

My wife looks almost like the Fulani Woman from West Africa. Definitely not stereotypical "black features".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top