Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:46 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,922 times

Advertisements

Lakota do not have a history of mixing with blacks so i don't know why people are going on about black natives in this thread. If he "looks" black it's probably coming from his "white" parent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 09:37 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Lakota do not have a history of mixing with blacks so i don't know why people are going on about black natives in this thread. If he "looks" black it's probably coming from his "white" parent
Also, this is essentially what I call a "hit and run" thread. The OP hasn't been on here since.....

Old 06-18-2017, 12:07 PM

33 posts, read 48,676 times
This is because what's been labeled as "African-American" in this united states is incorrect.

We are not African-American. Everything we've learned about the slave trade is a lie. Everything really happened in reverse. Modern "African-Americans" are actually the indigenous people to north and south America. The true story is actually simple. Columbus came to the Americas, where he found indigenous americans, took these slaves back to Europe, then sold indigenous americans to Africa as commodity. From Africa, they were shipped back to America and re-labled as African slaves. there was a small percentage of actual Africans mixed in along with them, which were usually prisoners of war from other tribes etc. Years of mixing down diluted this history...

from another viewpoint, most black people can trace the native American tribe that they came from but cannot trace an African ancestor directly from the continent of Africa. theres no actual pictures of slaves on a slave ship. also many of todays African americans look like doppegangers to old pictures of native americans. you can youtube some of these videos.

yes the worlds population comes directly from Africa but from a more direct and recent stand point. black people of today are the real native americans. and just like any race, different tribes of natives had different looks. most of the African American looking native americans are the east coast, south and southwestern natives while the mongoloid looking native americans were Alaskan and sprinkled across the northern americas

Old 06-19-2017, 06:25 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Black= 90+% Black African ancestry from Sub Saharan Africa (which is West, East, Central, & South). Black IS a race.
Well if this is true, being "only" 71.2% of African ancestry, I guess I'm not truly black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not black, and I don't want to whitesplain, but I just don't see how you can say that Halle looks like the typical black woman. I mean, I've dated black women before - dark black women - and it feels kind of weird to me you're just leaving them out of the equation of what a black woman looks like.

Here's a face morph someone did of the average black American woman

Here's Halle

The skin tone is not really that much lighter, but Halle's facial features are way more European. I've seen Italian women with tans who look like her.

Looking around online, Halle's father is pretty dark skinned for an African-American, which might explain why she looks a bit on the darker side for someone who has one African-American parent.
The problem here is that you assume people are ignoring that there are dark skinned black women...and yet, via your own "face morph", which you stated is what the typical black woman looks like, Halle's skin tone is much more similar to that image than a dark skinned black woman. So then, per your own image, it would be consistent with saying she looks like a "typical" black woman, no?

Also, you are aware that there are dark skinned blacks with European features? Then again maybe you aren't, as you don't seem to have a very large or diverse personal sample size of blacks, since you believe Halle Berry doesn't look "typically" black...

I wasn't aware Halle even had a white parent until maybe 2010. From Boomerang to Baps to every early role she played. And not that it was a secret (it obviously wasn't), but she's not somebody one can look at and instantly say "she has a white parent!" unless said somebody(ies) have a very narrow view of what black women are "supposed" to look like. Which exposes insensitivities and prejudices, whether you mean them to be or not...

I shared this thread with my girlfriend last night and she just found out, via my sharing this thread with her a few hours ago, that Halle has a white mother...

The even more troubling, underlying theme here is the unspoken one: all three of Halle, Mariah and Vanessa Williams self-identify as black women, and on here and in real life, it seems people have a real problem with these "mixed" people not identifying as "mixed" or white. And Mariah's past is sketchy--we know it WAS kept publicly secret that she had a black father for years, and she didn't publicly self-identify as black until the '00s (though through her own statements she claims she's identified as black her entire life, so who am I to know?)--, but both Halle and Vanessa, who've both been in the public eye for the better part of 30 years, they've ALWAYS identified as black women. And that seems to be what you guys truly have an issue with...

@ck, this definitely was a race bait thread, the kind that is common in other forums if City-Data. I'm okay with that, though, because it always exposes somebody!

Old 06-19-2017, 06:47 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,162,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Well if this is true, being "only" 71.2% of African ancestry, I guess I'm not truly black?

The problem here is that you assume people are ignoring that there are dark skinned black women...and yet, via your own "face morph", which you stated is what the typical black woman looks like, Halle's skin tone is much more similar to that image than a dark skinned black woman. So then, per your own image, it would be consistent with saying she looks like a "typical" black woman, no?

Also, you are aware that there are dark skinned blacks with European features? Then again maybe you aren't, as you don't seem to have a very large or diverse personal sample size of blacks, since you believe Halle Berry doesn't look "typically" black...

I wasn't aware Halle even had a white parent until maybe 2010. From Boomerang to Baps to every early role she played. And not that it was a secret (it obviously wasn't), but she's not somebody one can look at and instantly say "she has a white parent!" unless said somebody(ies) have a very narrow view of what black women are "supposed" to look like. Which exposes insensitivities and prejudices, whether you mean them to be or not...

I shared this thread with my girlfriend last night and she just found out, via my sharing this thread with her a few hours ago, that Halle has a white mother...

The even more troubling, underlying theme here is the unspoken one: all three of Halle, Mariah and Vanessa Williams self-identify as black women, and on here and in real life, it seems people have a real problem with these "mixed" people not identifying as "mixed" or white. And Mariah's past is sketchy--we know it WAS kept publicly secret that she had a black father for years, and she didn't publicly self-identify as black until the '00s (though through her own statements she claims she's identified as black her entire life, so who am I to know?)--, but both Halle and Vanessa, who've both been in the public eye for the better part of 30 years, they've ALWAYS identified as black women. And that seems to be what you guys truly have an issue with...

@ck, this definitely was a race bait thread, the kind that is common in other forums if City-Data. I'm okay with that, though, because it always exposes somebody!

Well said !

Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:

Mariah Carey may have self identified as black but she emerged in an era that if you were not the correct race for your genre of music the initial album covers would not have your picture on them until you were a proven hit maker. In the beginning it was said that she had stage fright and the entertainment media wasn't as large as it is today Being on the pop side of the pop/R&B fusion her husband at the time definitely shielded her background.

I remember a Richard Pryor movie The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings where his character while trying to break into the segregated Major League Baseball tried to pass himself off as a Latino and as a Native American in a failed attempt to pass as other than Black. People with darker skin, from South Asians to African Americans, and I guess in the OP's case a darker Native American would never know where they would be slotted when an informal paper bag visual test was applied to them by a representative of the American majority

Old 08-05-2017, 11:53 AM

22 posts, read 30,176 times
Quote:
I don't know. Halle Berry doesn't look as if she should have a white parent--she looks "typically" black by many standards.
You are far from alone who thinks so.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:28 PM

22 posts, read 30,176 times
Quote:
The even more troubling, underlying theme here is the unspoken one: all three of Halle, Mariah and Vanessa Williams self-identify as black women, and on here and in real life, it seems people have a real problem with these "mixed" people not identifying as "mixed" or white. And Mariah's past is sketchy--we know it WAS kept publicly secret that she had a black father for years, and she didn't publicly self-identify as black until the '00s (though through her own statements she claims she's identified as black her entire life, so who am I to know?)--, but both Halle and Vanessa, who've both been in the public eye for the better part of 30 years, they've ALWAYS identified as black women.
When I first saw Mariah, I could tell she was mixed. To me, Vanessa's coloring (skin, eye and hair) reflect her European roots more, but I think she has discernible African features.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:48 PM

793 posts, read 1,112,540 times
My mom is full Native American and my dad is mostly European with some Native ancestry, and I've never been seen as black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.