Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:54 AM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times

Advertisements

Economic opportunity, and the fact that other young people are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
For me personally...

1. LGBT scene/general acceptance
2. Nightlife and restaurants
3. Large festivals/cultural events

Old 06-20-2017, 11:56 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I'm perhaps not so young now. Turned 33 today actually

When I was younger I experienced both big city living and smaller city living, both in the burbs and in the core. I much preferred the urban core and the big city. For your question, I see those items as two separate considerations.

Big city living: This attracts me because I love all the amenities available. Not just the big attractions but the little niche things as well. But mainly, and I understand this is not universal but it's certainly not too unique to me, I love the energy that comes with dense, vibrant, settings and efficient public transit, etc. It just gives me an extra boost when I am going about my day.

Urban core: In Jax I have lived in the urban core for about 3 years now. Jax does not boast of a vibrant or energetic core like many other midsized cities. Yet the difference for me, even in Jax, is stark. Being where we are we love to walk to restaurants, theaters, stores, and parks and we do so several times a week. On top of that, we just go for walks (with our little kid) once or twice a day and it is so much more enjoyable to do it in our neighborhood where we will generally see hundreds of other people out and about. When we are at my parents' gated community in the burbs we still like taking him for his walks but it's not at all as exciting.

Anyway, now that I am married and have a young toddler I do sense that my preference for big city or urban core living (though still strong) is less than it used to be. If we were struggling financially I think it would become far easier to opt for comfort in a cheaper area than toughing it out in a more exciting setting.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:18 PM

106 posts, read 96,086 times
Follow the Money.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:21 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
I do not know but Nashville is full, take your hipster scene to Austin TX and Seattle.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:39 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
For some people their identity is tied to the 'prestige' of where they live. For them living in a big or well known city makes them feel better about themselves. You see it on here all the time.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:40 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I do not know but Nashville is full, take your hipster scene to Austin TX and Seattle.
All three are full but they keep coming like there are no other options.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:06 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Jobs and $$$

Old 06-20-2017, 01:55 PM

11,101 posts, read 7,159,415 times
They're drawn to cities because they are immortal and fearless (like the big city), and want "stuff to do". Small towns are for the other end of the spectrum (retirement, etc.)

Old 06-20-2017, 02:10 PM

60 posts, read 72,615 times
I enjoyed reading all the replies, I think the majority of these can be summed up pretty easily:

1. By far, the most popular response was jobs/money. I can understand this as I actually have a job in the city (and 'live' there Monday-Thursday as a consultant), but again, what is the huge issue with working in the city and travelling outside the city to live?

2. The second most popular seemed to be "things to do". I see none of what was mentioned that can't be done in the burbs, but to each his own...

3. A good number also reaffirmed my own hypothesis, that many people move to the city to follow the crowd/look impressive to friends/family, etc. This seems crazy to me, but again, everyone is driven by different motivations.

I guess a good follow up question would be, how many young people (as in a percentage of those graduating college, maybe to around the age of 30 or so) ARE actually living in cities. Is it really all that many, or is it much lower, and just that those who do live there are always talking about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.