Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:23 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,989 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, i tried to post this in the general U.S. section earlier because i wanted everyones opinion, not just of those who are on the music board so i'm going to try again!! I've asked around in specific city boards, but i'm just going to try it this way: Which city (or cities) has the best metal scene(mainly Death metal, Brutal Death Metal, Technical Death metal, Black Metal, etc etc.)?? This includes local bands, local musicians looking for bands, amount of shows and how many metalers you see around the city. I wanted to know what city has the most metal feel, like there is a sizable presence of it that anyone could notice. Tampa has long been though of as the Death metal capital of the U.S., with bands like Diecide, Obituary, Morbid Angel, etc but i've heard that its not as big as it used to be in the Metal Department. Other parts of the U.S. also have been known for metal, but i would like to know what cities you all have found to have a significant metal scene!! Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 01:00 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Awesome question! Most of the brutal death metal is coming out of the northeast and Florida, however there is good stuff coming out all over. The Bay Area and Seattle are rich with Sludge/Doom Metal, Denver has Cephalic Carnage, the south has lots of good stoner/sludge metal.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:16 AM

Thanks Toughguy, always great to see you around metal threads! I know of course Florida has been a breeding ground for great metal, and the northeast as well, California also. Any info on specific cities with vibrant metal scenes would be awesome! Cephalic Carnage is awesome btw, love the song Lucid Interval! Always been one of my favorites

Old 03-12-2008, 01:18 AM

6,559 posts, read 12,054,379 times
My guess would be San Diego, L.A., or Chicago.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:26 AM

I know of L.A. and Chicago's metal scenes, but after posting and asking around on San Diego forums i haven't found much out. Do you know much about the San Diego metal scene? Thanks!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:24 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Hey guys, i tried to post this in the general U.S. section earlier because i wanted everyones opinion, not just of those who are on the music board so i'm going to try again!! I've asked around in specific city boards, but i'm just going to try it this way: Which city (or cities) has the best metal scene(mainly Death metal, Brutal Death Metal, Technical Death metal, Black Metal, etc etc.)?? This includes local bands, local musicians looking for bands, amount of shows and how many metalers you see around the city. I wanted to know what city has the most metal feel, like there is a sizable presence of it that anyone could notice. Tampa has long been though of as the Death metal capital of the U.S., with bands like Diecide, Obituary, Morbid Angel, etc but i've heard that its not as big as it used to be in the Metal Department. Other parts of the U.S. also have been known for metal, but i would like to know what cities you all have found to have a significant metal scene!! Thanks guys!
I would say Tampa has a great history with death metal, Obituary is one of my favorites, another great band Lamb of God is from Conneticut. Houston unfortunately doesn't have alot of good metal bands, although there are alot of fans here. Overall though I agree that Seattle has a good scene and I have also heard Detroit has alot of local bands as well.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 AM

719 posts, read 2,666,792 times
Oslo and Gothenburg.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:04 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Birmingham has a great deal of iron ore and any number of steel mills. In fact, Sloss Furnaces is a national historic site.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:46 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Also, see where you can find a disproportionate number of 14- to 17-year-old boys. That seems to be the audience for metal.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:34 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Isn't Cattle Decapitation from S.D.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.