Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:12 AM

1,257 posts, read 888,538 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived on ... and left ... the Gulf Coast (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas)?

If so, where did you move ... and why?

Do you miss it or regret leaving?

We've been on the GC of Mississippi for 6-1/2 years. Our town was destroyed by Katrina. I'm so tired of living with anxiety about hurricanes 6 months of every year. We are very low lying, we flood with Tropical Storms and Cat 1's, imagine Cat 3 or higher? Anyway ... I want out. I need a stable SAFE climate, 4 distinct seasons, fall leaves, clean fresh water, cooler temps, and no poisonous snakes. That leaves a handful of states I'm looking at.

Last edited by SouthernProper; 08-30-2017 at 12:12 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 12:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
I've only lived in Baton Rouge, Houston, and now New Orleans but I'll be in Denver by January. I'm going to miss everything about New Orleans but nothing about the south or flood water. Gonna hate the snow though. Oh well.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I've only lived in Baton Rouge, Houston, and now New Orleans but I'll be in Denver by January. I'm going to miss everything about New Orleans but nothing about the south or flood water. Gonna hate the snow though. Oh well.
People put up with a lot to live down here. It's too scary for me. The Gulf water has flesh eating bacteria, too. I miss the snow!

Old 08-30-2017, 05:41 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Has anyone lived on ... and left ... the Gulf Coast (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas)?

We've been on the GC of Mississippi for 6-1/2 years. Our town was destroyed by Katrina. I'm so tired of living with anxiety about hurricanes 6 months of every year. We are very low lying, we flood with Tropical Storms and Cat 1's, imagine Cat 3 or higher? Anyway ... I want out. I need a stable SAFE climate, 4 distinct seasons, fall leaves, clean fresh water, cooler temps, and no poisonous snakes. That leaves a handful of states I'm looking at.
The only place in the Lower 48 without poisonous snakes is western Washington state.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
People put up with a lot to live down here. It's too scary for me. The Gulf water has flesh eating bacteria, too. I miss the snow!
That's just normal for us. Why would you get in that water anyway lol.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The only place in the Lower 48 without poisonous snakes is western Washington state.
Michigan has only one, a small rattle snake (shy, non-aggressive and endangered) that is so reclusive people live their entire lives never seeing one. I lived in Mi for 36 years, we grew up in and around woods and never saw one. That doesn't bother me. Water moccasins coming into my yard every day ... that bothers me.

Last edited by SouthernProper; 08-30-2017 at 07:42 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's just normal for us. Why would you get in that water anyway lol.
We live on the Gulf and can't go in ... we can just look at it ... and it's brown. Why bother? The beaches down here are supposed to be the main tourist draw. What a joke.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
We live on the Gulf and can't go in ... we can just look at it ... and it's brown. Why bother? The beaches down here are supposed to be the main tourist draw. What a joke.
The main draw of the gulf? Or Biloxi area? The main draw of the gulf are beaches in Alabama and Florida, and South Padre. People do get in the water in Mississippi but I wouldn't do it again. I'll ride a jetski though.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:17 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
How about the piedmont region?

You get an autumn, temps get low to the point of sweater weather, but no snow. Still get a lot of rain, but don't have to worry much about flooding because you're miles above sea levels, especially if you live in a hilly area. And the location is great, you won't be very from family...

Old 08-30-2017, 09:02 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:

Nort Dakota might fit your bill, as long as you can deal with cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.