Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 04:29 PM

101 posts, read 91,662 times

Advertisements

Houston, no zoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 04:39 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Phoenix has always been described as libertarian. A very "live and let live" culture.

But pretty much any liberal area in a conservative state is decent for libertarians. They keep each other in check.

Most Texas cities are not very libertarian, the taxes are way too high, especially property taxes.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:09 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Oklahoma is not libertarian lol
I second this. Oklahoma City is the buckle of the Baptist Bible Belt. Very right-wing authoritarian here.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:13 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
But in reality Austin is Democrats who smoke weed.
I would agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Why would Republicans who smoke weed vote for Hillary? I mentioned welfare state because you called Austinites "republicans," so I thought you thought they were anti-government services (libertarian).

Austin was the only county in Texas where the white vote went to Hillary. She is the opposite of libertarian, polar opposite.
This was before the election. And I didn't check the voting patterns of Austin when I made that post. Nor did I even think about it. I didn't call them that, I said they seemed like that to me when was there. My short interaction with Austinites isn't proof that they are anything that I perceive them to be, it's just me expressing my observation.
To me, Austin seems like a place that's very live and let live and that also agrees with Republican economic policy. Which is why I simplify them down to Republicans who smoke weed.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:57 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedean1878 View Post
Houston, no zoning.
That's a new one, wasn't aware that no zoning was a core principle of libertarianism

Edit: I guess in a way it is. Buy land build what you want is part of the free market.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:06 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
I'd say 2/3 of the people who label themselves "libertarian" are basically "conservative-light". They pretty much always vote republican but don't want to be labeled Republican because it's more trendy and makes an individual look less bias therefor "more informed" to call themselves "libertarian"

One of the most annoying groups of ideological groupies. There are copious amounts of them everywhere. I'd imagine no area of the country can claim monopoly.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 08-30-2017 at 10:17 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 10:15 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
I do not know any major cities that are not liberal but Vegas would be close to libertarian if you think libertarian is all about a free wheeling society/lax government officials/rules. I once passed drunks passed out on the street and asked the police if you are going to arrest them and they said nope the jails are too full.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:46 PM

623 posts, read 958,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I'd say 2/3 of the people who label themselves "libertarian" are basically "conservative-light". They pretty much always vote republican but don't want to be labeled Republican because it's more trendy and makes an individual look less bias therefor "more informed" to call themselves "libertarian"

One of the most annoying groups of ideological groupies. There are copious amounts of them everywhere. I'd imagine no area of the country can claim monopoly.

Not sure I've ever seen a more ridiculous and uninformed post on this site.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:33 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

A lot of self described libertarians are regular conservatives who will disagree with mainstream Republicans on 1 or 2 issues (like foreign policy) but always vote Republican anyway. The "Being Libertarian" page on facebook is a great example of this.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:43 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I've been on a lot of Libertarian forums and what not. A lot of Libertarians support the stance on just about everything but open borders. The main reason is that open borders have been proven to fail in Europe. Having strong defense is also important to the Libertarian stance. Having completely closed borders or strict immigration policies is obviously anti-libertarian though.
Actually, I think the idea is that open borders are fine as long as there's no welfare state to deincentivize overimmigration. And yes, a strict anti-immigration stance is not libertarian. And I think open borders can mean lax immigration policy rather than literal open borders.

The anti-immigration, socially conservative "libertarians" are known as "paleolibertarians", which to me are the same thing as paleocons except they favor free trade instead of protectionism. Justin Raimondo is an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.