Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2021, 08:24 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you and so far so good! I lost power for a few hours one day. Was under a boil notice for water for two days. The pool and pool equipment survived completely. Small leak in something or other - either septic system (but no odor) or sprinkler system way out in the back yard by the fence. I feel very blessed.

We set an all time record for cold here - minus 6 degrees. As long as temps have been being recorded in NE Texas, it's never gotten that cold before. Also, we stayed WAY below freezing for nearly a week, which is also really unusual for this area. It's not unusual for temps to drop below freezing at night but for them to stay below freezing - WAY below freezing - for days on end is very unusual.

Also, we got snow and lots of it (for us anyway) twice in three days - also very unusual. We got more snow in one day than we get in six years! It was insane.

Yea, that was a whole mess.

I had a good time in Texas until the blackouts started happening. Really loved San Antonio and would love to go back when it's not 30 degrees and raining, which admittedly is most the year. Seeing palm trees covered in icicles was pretty sick, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 08:27 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
We had our first thunderstorm of the year today and it was awesome! Opened the windows and turned down the lights and watched some Netflix with the hubby. My cat stood on the windowsill having fun watching the rain until she got splashed through the window screen and knocked down a cup of expo markers lol.

I love when spring comes on time, as it has this year and last. I also wouldn't mind a LITTLE bit more snow as long as it doesn't overstay its welcome. Going to the garden store tomorrow to see about vole treatment, and looking into hydrangeas this year. Also, really excited to see tulips and daffodils come up in about a month. Hope the voles haven't gotten to them!

It's days like today that really make me appreciate the seasonal changes. BTW today's high was 47, yesterday's was 64. Gotta love that March weather!

Old 03-10-2021, 09:43 PM

158 posts, read 156,498 times
I'll do anything to have a change of seasons. And, if it's going to get cold, it better snow sometimes. And rain twice a week.

Nothing worse than a mono-climate that is always perfect all of the time.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:06 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiecd View Post
I'll do anything to have a change of seasons. And, if it's going to get cold, it better snow sometimes. And rain twice a week.

The only type of stable climate I prefer is one that lacks any kind of heat or humidity like Sequim, WA- a cool drier climate. At least there is plenty of snow nearby in the Cascades and Olympic Mountains. Otherwise, four distinct seasons along and north of 43 degree latitude line east of the Rockies is my preferred climate area in the US. There is NOTHING WORSE than the nasty weather belt of the Lower Midwest and Upper South, where you get the worst of both regions weather but none of the positives.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:46 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Quote:

Given that most of the country doesn't have a climate that is perfect all of the time, it would really not be that big a challenge to find a place with a climate that isn't perfect all or even really any of the time. Those places tend to have pretty low cost of living too, so it's real easy to make your wish come true.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:56 AM

135 posts, read 134,674 times
I live in the Pacific Northwest, which is basically a four-seasons climate. However, in a few years, I'm moving to SoCal for a variety of different reasons, one of them being sun. As much as I love 4-seasons climates, I have serious SAD in the winter because of the sun and I've since realized I'm willing to trade a 4-seasons climate for sunshine, for the sake of my mental health.

Old 05-15-2021, 03:25 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:

Oh yeah, I sometimes eat dirt and grass, so that I can appreciate the taste of filet mignon or pizza

/s

Old 05-15-2021, 03:26 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaveMaybe View Post
I live in the Pacific Northwest, which is basically a four-seasons climate. However, in a few years, I'm moving to SoCal for a variety of different reasons, one of them being sun. As much as I love 4-seasons climates, I have serious SAD in the winter because of the sun and I've since realized I'm willing to trade a 4-seasons climate for sunshine, for the sake of my mental health.
I did the same, moved out west from Rochester, NY at age 18 (38 now). I had SAD, and used to have to take prescription anti-depressants from mid October to mid April every year. I quit them cold turkey after moving west

Old 05-15-2021, 06:51 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
I finally found a name for the problems I have had in dealing with heat - dysautonomia - its a condition that causes problems with my autonomic nerve system (ANS).

The ANS is the part of the nervous system that controls involuntary body functions like heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, digestion, body and skin temperature, and many other functions.

I always thought of it as being susceptible to heat stroke or sun stroke, but being in the heat and doing even light physical exertion causes my heart to race, breathing issues, sometimes a feeling that my brain is cooking where I can have difficulty with decision making and clear thought. When doing yard work during much of the year in Texas I had to take breaks often and lie in an air conditioned spot (usually the living room floor) until my functions slow down. I also noticed that even hot showers can sometimes cause this.

This is way more than just "not liking" or being "uncomfortable" in the heat.

Short, cool summers and cool/cold winters are way preferable to me than consistently hot/warm seasons. Living on the 2nd floor with working windows on all 4 sides keeps the house well-lit during the winter days, and a welcoming cross breeze during the warmer months.

Last edited by RocketSci; 05-15-2021 at 07:37 AM..

Old 05-15-2021, 08:16 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Still no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.