Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 12:53 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
It’s the truth. If Amazon wants representation for the overlooked hillbilly population, that’d be the best move. Those are literally the only kind of people who flock there, most of the young talent there leaves. This is not true for Atlanta, young professionals are moving here in droves, this is true for other places as well. Just pointing out how immature the one poster was acting by using Pittsburgh as a metric to minimize Atlanta as country, especially when Pitt is clearly inferior of the two.
If you're referring to me, I never said Atlanta can't attract talent. It's my personal opinion that Amazon will not go to a Southern/conservative state with a conservative state government that enjoys pushing anti-LGBT/anti-women/anti-minority agendas. Which is not a knock at Atlanta at all! I believe Atlanta or Dallas would be in the top of the 20 if this was any other company besides Amazon. They both have plenty to offer a company like this. But Amazon's liberal politics lead me to believe they wouldn't want to risk subjecting their tens of thousands of employees, of which several thousands will likely be minorities, to such a conservative state government. That's where I believe Pittsburgh can leap above Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 03:03 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If you're referring to me, I never said Atlanta can't attract talent. It's my personal opinion that Amazon will not go to a Southern/conservative state with a conservative state government that enjoys pushing anti-LGBT/anti-women/anti-minority agendas. Which is not a knock at Atlanta at all! I believe Atlanta or Dallas would be in the top of the 20 if this was any other company besides Amazon. They both have plenty to offer a company like this. But Amazon's liberal politics lead me to believe they wouldn't want to risk subjecting their tens of thousands of employees, of which several thousands will likely be minorities, to such a conservative state government. That's where I believe Pittsburgh can leap above Atlanta.
I see your point and i disagree slightly, GA as a state is not too far off of PA, but the local cultures between those 3 cities... i’d say Pittsburgh is the most conservative feeling overall. The people there are just very homey and just laid back, Dallas and Atlanta despite being in conservative states, are much more diverse and business friendly metros of 6 million plus ppl. Those policies clearly don’t stop minorities from moving to Atlanta over a place like Pittsburgh.

Not a knock against you all, but Pitt doesn’t have a brand that attracts different kinds of people.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:18 PM

527 posts, read 320,122 times
I don't understand the silly name calling.

ALL of the cities attract diverse people - ALL of them.

The requirement to metro size was being at least a metro of 1 million.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:06 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
It’s the truth. If Amazon wants representation for the overlooked hillbilly population, that’d be the best move. Those are literally the only kind of people who flock there, most of the young talent there leaves. This is not true for Atlanta, young professionals are moving here in droves, this is true for other places as well. Just pointing out how immature the one poster was acting by using Pittsburgh as a metric to minimize Atlanta as country, especially when Pitt is clearly inferior of the two.
Then why does the Pittsburgh MSA have a higher percentage of college-educated young adults than the Atlanta MSA?

25-34

45.3% - Pittsburgh MSA
37.7% - Atlanta MSA

35-44

41.9% - Pittsburgh MSA
40.5% - Atlanta MSA

45-64

36.8% - Atlanta MSA
30.6% - Pittsburgh MSA

65+

28.5% - Atlanta MSA
20.9% - Pittsburgh MSA

College education is more consistent between age cohorts in Atlanta, but has a strong negative relationship by age cohort in Pittsburgh. Older cohorts are more educated in Atlanta than Pittsburgh, but younger cohorts are more educated in Pittsburgh than Atlanta. This illustrates how Atlanta became a boomtown in the last 50 years, and it also exhibits how Pittsburgh fundamentally transformed its economy from blue-collar to white-collar/professional in the last 30 years.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:12 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Pittsburgh has a population that is rapidly gaining higher education levels... but there's just no way that Amazon is going to move to a shrinking city/region. It's already expressed to other cities that lost their bids that the ability to attract the needed people was important. Pittsburgh can't even keep the people it has, and it has probably the worst natural growth rate of any major city in the country.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Pittsburgh has a population that is rapidly gaining higher education levels... but there's just no way that Amazon is going to move to a shrinking city/region. It's already expressed to other cities that lost their bids that the ability to attract the needed people was important. Pittsburgh can't even keep the people it has, and it has probably the worst natural growth rate of any major city in the country.
Well it’s best not to keep people around when they are dead, which is the issue in Pittsburgh since most people leave feet first. If Amazon was so concerned about it, they would have eliminated the city in the first round.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Apparently people are leaving because of a lack of jobs or opportunity as at least large percentage of the total outflow. That's different than leaving because they don't like the place.

On the flip side, Amazon is obviously grading cities on any number of topics, and we have no idea what they are beyond the vague clues. Anyone who claims that a topic is resolved since a city isn't cut isn't getting it.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:01 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineyTodd View Post
Trump only won Georgia by 4%

That really isn't much more than Pennsylvania which is oh so liberal. Goodness the northeast bias of CD is astonishing sometimes.
You know why the margin narrowed? This is why:

1. Pennsylvania Republicans and Georgia Republicans are not the same. There is a strong undercurrent of Ron Paul Constitutionalism in Pennsylvania that the Chamber of Commerce Republicans in Georgia generally consider to be quaint and parochial. During the 2008 Republican presidential primaries, Pennsylvania was one of only eight states that Ron Paul finished second place in, and the next-most populous state to pull that off was Oregon. Meanwhile, Georgia was one of his worst states. In fact, he did poorly all across the South. On a related note, the Ron Paul effect in Pennsylvania is yet another reason why political comparisons of rural and small-town Pennsylvania to Alabama have no basis in reality.

2. In Georgia, the bedrock of Democrat support comes from its large black population. In Pennsylvania, the bedrock of Democrat support comes from its large blue-collar white population. At the national level, the Democratic Party has directly alienated most of the blue-collar white population with its increasing focus on racial identity politics, and indirectly alienated many more of them with its draconian environmental policy, which poses an existential threat to all jobs involving resource extraction. Pennsylvania has a ****load of hydrocarbons underground. Only Texas extracts more BTUs from the ground per year than Pennsylvania does. If one were to overlay maps of every coal and natural gas field on a map of Pennsylvania that illustrates the partisan voting shift by county since 2000, then one would find a near-perfect correlation between the presence of underground hydrocarbons and a shift toward the Republicans.

3. Whatever you think of Donald Trump, his policies on national sovereignty and trade align much more closely with Ron Paul than they do with any Chamber of Commerce Republican. Those policies are also very appealing to much of the blue-collar white population, as is his environmental policy. Wisely, Trump expanded his tent to include them, and one can reasonably argue that the number of blue-collar Democrats he won was greater than the number of Chamber of Commerce Republicans that he lost. He also won the independent vote. Lastly, regardless of Trump's wealth, his attitude and mannerisms are those of an old-school, born-and-raised New Yorker, which is similar to an old-school, born-and-raised Pennsylvanian. Meanwhile, there's nothing that a Southern alpha male hates more than a Northern alpha male.

P.S. Donald Trump won Georgia by 5%, not 4%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Apparently people are leaving because of a lack of jobs or opportunity as at least large percentage of the total outflow. That's different than leaving because they don't like the place.
Job growth has greatly accelerated in the Pittsburgh MSA since January 2017. I will wager that not only will the 2018 population estimates for the Pittsburgh MSA show an increase over 2017, but also that the 2017 estimates for the MSA will be revised upward -- just as the 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 estimates were.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:47 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

On the flip side, Amazon is obviously grading cities on any number of topics, and we have no idea what they are beyond the vague clues. Anyone who claims that a topic is resolved since a city isn't cut isn't getting it.

I guess if people are leaving cause a lack of jobs and Amazon pops a few thousand jobs there people won't need to leave.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:19 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Then why does the Pittsburgh MSA have a higher percentage of college-educated young adults than the Atlanta MSA?

25-34

45.3% - Pittsburgh MSA
37.7% - Atlanta MSA

35-44

41.9% - Pittsburgh MSA
40.5% - Atlanta MSA

45-64

36.8% - Atlanta MSA
30.6% - Pittsburgh MSA

65+

28.5% - Atlanta MSA
20.9% - Pittsburgh MSA

College education is more consistent between age cohorts in Atlanta, but has a strong negative relationship by age cohort in Pittsburgh. Older cohorts are more educated in Atlanta than Pittsburgh, but younger cohorts are more educated in Pittsburgh than Atlanta. This illustrates how Atlanta became a boomtown in the last 50 years, and it also exhibits how Pittsburgh fundamentally transformed its economy from blue-collar to white-collar/professional in the last 30 years.
A few things jump out at me.

1. Tallahasee metro is more educated than NYC metro on this per capita basis , but people recognize size differential. And no business would be fooled by just recognizing the percentages here, still way more talent in NYC than Tallahassee. Not saying Atlanta and Pittsburgh are miles apart like the former comparison, but we are like 2.5 times larger than Pitt, with more educated young adults relocating annually.

2. The quality and relevance of educational attainment. A city with lots of gender studies undergrads isn’t better than city with half the educational attainment, but higher quality post-grad degrees, with lots relevance to field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.