Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 04:08 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I know a place where it's always sunny.
Nice and Sunny in Denver most of the year and they get 4 distinct seasons. Some of us really enjoy the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 06:37 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Found this interesting. Not sure how some of the cities in the 20 final could be included.

"John Schoettler, who oversees Amazon’s real estate, provided a few clues while speaking at an event Friday in Seattle. The comments could be interpreted to mean Amazon prefers a more condensed, urban setting similar to what it has in its ever-expanding Seattle offices.

Amazon envisions “a combination of buildings and facilities probably within walking proximity to one another,†Schoettler said at the event, according to a Jan. 19 story in the Puget Sound Business Journal. Schoettler also expressed an aversion to bids that propose spreading 8 million square feet of offices onto several sites, unless those sites can be expanded or somehow connected.

He also indicated Amazon would heavily weigh factors such as availability and cost of housing and proximity to public transportation. “We look forward to cities that are also progressive and are thinking forward and long-term in terms of affordable housing and mass transportation and being able to move people around,†Schoettler said, according to the business journal."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...124-story.html

Hmm... this only affirms IMO that Philadelphia is 100% in the top 3. Schuylkill Yards - Gallery

Old 01-25-2018, 06:48 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
This poll has reached the level of being an ongoing comedy show:

Columbus-14 votes
Indianapolis-11 votes

Los Angeles-3 votes

Old 01-25-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
This poll has reached the level of being an ongoing comedy show:

Columbus-14 votes
Indianapolis-11 votes

Los Angeles-3 votes

Let your ego go. It has nothing to do with the competence of Los Angeles. Do you seriously think a second HQ on the west coast is logical?

No it is not.

I would put money on Columbus over L.A any day.

Again this has nothing to do with what L.A offers. It is called logic.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Let your ego go. It has nothing to do with the competence of Los Angeles. Do you seriously think a second HQ on the west coast is logical?

No it is not.

I would put money on Columbus over L.A any day.

Again this has nothing to do with what L.A offers. It is called logic.
No one has offered a legitimate reason as to why the geographic location would matter, just regurgitation of city data "time zone" conventional wisdom. They could do this in Tacoma if they wanted to.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:03 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
No one has offered a legitimate reason as to why the geographic location would matter, just regurgitation of city data "time zone" conventional wisdom. They could do this in Tacoma if they wanted to.
Being in the Eastern Time Zone lends to significant overlap of the workday with Europe. Also people are much more likely to move within their region than between regions so you open a new, larger labor pool by opening across the continent.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:05 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
Quote:
The Eastern time zone would get you a couple hours of workday overlap with the U.K. And EU.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Being in the Eastern Time Zone lends to significant overlap of the workday with Europe. Also people are much more likely to move within their region than between regions so you open a new, larger labor pool by opening across the continent.
If there was an example of a west coast tech company moving east for the specific reason of being able to be at work for a few hours while people in Europe are, this might be a persuasive point. I can't think of any examples where we have evidence of this.

We might also say that if someone has enough on the ball to get one of these HQ2 jobs, they would be just as inclined to move to a city like Los Angeles than to stay home.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
If there was an example of a west coast tech company moving east for the specific reason of being able to be at work for a few hours while people in Europe are, this might be a persuasive point. I can't think of any examples where we have evidence of this.

We might also say that if someone has enough on the ball to get one of these HQ2 jobs, they would be just as inclined to move to a city like Los Angeles than to stay home.

A basic understanding and background would allow you to understand that Amazon has not really entered the European market on any significant level and this is one of their #1 priorities moving forward. A west coast location would be disadvantageous logistically. It will not be L.A. I hate to break it to you.

Mind you. L.A has a HOST of major issues. Affordability is a key one. The housing cost in L.A is absolutely ridiculous, and for the price premium you do not even live in an urban environment that offers transit access, but still have to rely on a car for most day to day. I mean 400k buys you a house in Compton. You have to be kidding me. Housing cost in L.A are absolutely ridiculous. At least 400k in the NYC metro gives me transit access so I do not need to pay for a car.

I am aware that L.A is working to improve its transit network which I applaud. But in the scheme of things, L.A is not that competitive, the market is very saturated. NYC also ranks very low to give you some comparison.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:25 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
Quote:

How many companies just said we're gonna open up a 2nd headquarters out of the blue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.