Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 04:23 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityseekingusa View Post
Bellevue, WA is one...
Where else has a similar feel?
The area around the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City is similar. It's practically KC's 2nd downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 04:48 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
As far as the old moneyed wealth of the city and leafy mansion filled lanes, Mountain Brook Alabama and Buckhead share similarities. Of course Buckhead's skyline is more impressive on its own than downtown Birmingham.
OTOH, Highland Park Village would be a more beefed-up version of English Village in Mountain Brook.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:02 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Face it folks, there is really nothing like Buckhead that combines the wealth, the acred estates with an almost rural character adjacent to high dollar retail and a skyline that many major cities would die for all within the core city as a neighborhood.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:27 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Tysons Corner is much more akin to the northern perimeter areas of Sandy Springs and Dunwoody than it is to Buckhead. Agree with previous posters that Bethesda would be the more equivalent DC area to Sandy Springs.
Tysons is a little bit ahead of Sandy Spring/Dunwoody though, I'd say those are a poor mans version of Tysons at best. I worked in the Dunwoody area when I lived there and it is extremely car oriented. Tysons, while car oriented has 4 metro stations now, they are planning improvements to the street grid and a local bus circulator. I believe the bike share already exists there as well.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:34 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Face it folks, there is really nothing like Buckhead that combines the wealth, the acred estates with an almost rural character adjacent to high dollar retail and a skyline that many major cities would die for all within the core city as a neighborhood.
Yep, merge Central Park with west village, Beverly Hills and A1A in Miami and you get Buckhead.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:58 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Tysons is a little bit ahead of Sandy Spring/Dunwoody though, I'd say those are a poor mans version of Tysons at best. I worked in the Dunwoody area when I lived there and it is extremely car oriented. Tysons, while car oriented has 4 metro stations now, they are planning improvements to the street grid and a local bus circulator. I believe the bike share already exists there as well.
I agree that Perimeter is car-oriented but it has had MARTA stations for several years now and there have also been efforts made to make the area a bit more pedestrian-friendly, including several new TOD projects. I'm not sure if those things you mention make Tysons any more walkable than Perimeter at the present moment.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep, merge Central Park with west village, Beverly Hills and A1A in Miami and you get Buckhead.

aspects of all, not complete for any of them as a comparator

One thing about Buckhead, it doesn't deliver as an urban locale and that is its biggest short-coming for me

It still requires mostly uber or driving to really get to points

Its more a suburban commuter shed with a large commercial segment clustered

It offers fabulous suburban amenities in a pseudo urban form

An urban purist would be disappointed but for most people (urban purest are large minority (maybe not on CD)) its a tremendous location

Old 03-13-2018, 09:57 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
So? They're still surrounded by huge 6-8 lane arterials, parking lots, strip malls, and even car dealerships.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:03 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So? They're still surrounded by huge 6-8 lane arterials, parking lots, strip malls, and even car dealerships.

agreed as Tysons is trying to retrofit crazy dis-jointed chaos of development and literally is boxed in by highways

that said the Metro access is better than any other being discussed

and haven't been to Tysons in a few years and am sure things are changing

but it was a mess not to long ago

I actually want to visit as think KOP in Philly could benefit from some aspects developed there (although even worse in KOP) but are getting multiple HR stops on an extension

Old 03-13-2018, 10:07 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
aspects of all, not complete for any of them as a comparator

One thing about Buckhead, it doesn't deliver as an urban locale and that is its biggest short-coming for me

It still requires mostly uber or driving to really get to points

Its more a suburban commuter shed with a large commercial segment clustered

It offers fabulous suburban amenities in a pseudo urban form

An urban purist would be disappointed but for most people (urban purest are large minority (maybe not on CD)) its a tremendous location
Well just wipe anything in the sunbelt and much of anything outside the core city in the rest of the country off your list if that level of urbanity is the standard. Sorry, but the automobile has dictated growth patterns everywhere for close to a century now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.