Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 05:28 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
In the case of Boise, Idaho, most out of state folks expect it to be much more conservative than it actually is (in addition to thinking it is in the Midwest)

On the flip side, many instate folks think it is much more liberal than it actually is.

What you really have is small pockets of very liberal areas and larger moderate areas making the city moderately liberal, but the suburbs make the county as a whole moderately conservative.
I've only been to Boise once, but heading for the city on the freeway I was rather shocked to see this big Mormon temple seemingly to dominate the skyline.

But I did have fun at a very fun Gay bar there one night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 05:39 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I disagree. Oklahoma City has earned its right-wing reputation.
Kanye is correct in a precise manner and you are correct in a more general manner.

How Oklahoma Voted: Interactive Maps with Precinct-Level Results | Oklahoma Watch

Kanye noted that "CENTRAL OKC is liberal and overwhelmingly voted for Clinton". As the link will demonstrate, he is dead on. As you move outwards from the core it becomes tied and then becomes Trumpish which supports your stance.

OKC just hosted the National Atheist Convention last weekend. Just more proof that we are not completely a whole hog conservative community.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've only been to Boise once, but heading for the city on the freeway I was rather shocked to see this big Mormon temple seemingly to dominate the skyline.

But I did have fun at a very fun Gay bar there one night.
The temple on Cole Rd? Not sure I would call that the skyline, that was the edge of town only a few years ago, kinda still is, though I guess it does dominate the ranch houses and super walmart around it. You won't see it in any skyline pictures though since it isn't downtown, its out by the interstate.

My best guess would be that was The Balcony Club on 8th.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:04 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
When it comes to the overall partisan lean of a city, it's important to take into account city limits. Cities with broader city limits (like many in the South and West, and some in the midwest) will take in a large amount of functionally suburban neighborhoods. If those neighborhoods are majority white, there's a fairly good chance they'll be conservative and tilt the overall city slightly to the right.

That said, there are regional differences as well, so it can't simply be boiled down to urban/suburban/rural. I have noticed that southern cities - even walkable ones like Charleston or Savannah - can have wealthy Republican-leaning neighborhoods right in their urban core. This basically isn't seen in northern cities, where even places like the Upper East Side of Manhattan lean to the left.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:16 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
When it comes to the overall partisan lean of a city, it's important to take into account city limits. Cities with broader city limits (like many in the South and West, and some in the midwest) will take in a large amount of functionally suburban neighborhoods. If those neighborhoods are majority white, there's a fairly good chance they'll be conservative and tilt the overall city slightly to the right.

That said, there are regional differences as well, so it can't simply be boiled down to urban/suburban/rural. I have noticed that southern cities - even walkable ones like Charleston or Savannah - can have wealthy Republican-leaning neighborhoods right in their urban core. This basically isn't seen in northern cities, where even places like the Upper East Side of Manhattan lean to the left.
Staten Island went for Trump.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:23 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Baltimore area isn't quite as liberal as people think. Maryland is mostly Democrat because of the DC suburbs and Baltimore has many quite conservative suburbs. Eastern Baltimore County in particular is true authentic Trump Country. The area does seem more Democrat at times because of the black Democrats from the inner city.

New Orleans is portrayed as a very liberal city and its very liberal within the city but the suburbs are more conservative than your typical suburbs elsewhere. For example places like Mandeville and Metairie are more conservative than many of the Pittsburgh or Columbus suburbs. Steve Scalise and David Duke are both from suburban NO.

Colorado Springs is not as conservative as its reputation says it is. Local municipalities in Colorado have the right to opt out of recreational marijuana and not allow dispensaries yet there are quite a few weed dispensaries in the city. Also liquor laws are less strict and bars more numerous than many parts of the Bible Belt.
I echo that. Once you get into the suburbs, the New Orleans area is Deep South, Forrest Gump Country.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:29 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I echo that. Once you get into the suburbs, the New Orleans area is Deep South, Forrest Gump Country.
Ironic how that came to be, given the difference in the white demographic of NOLA compared to other parts of the Deep South.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:44 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Staten Island went for Trump.
The Staten Island neighborhoods that went for Trump are all suburban

Old 04-07-2018, 05:17 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I disagree. Oklahoma City has earned its right-wing reputation.
It would appear your mission here to ensure that no one thinks anything different about it as well.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:13 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
More Conservative than Media Portrayal:

Las Vegas
Sacramento
Austin
Detroit
NYC
Portland

More Liberal than Media Portrayal:

Dallas
San Diego
Houston
Nashville
Salt Lake City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.