Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 04:30 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Not so fast, Northeasterners in my experience do this more than southerners. Northeasterners live in a bubbled, charmed existence in which every place outside of the Northeast is alien and privy to whatever regional designation Northeasterners say they are...
Show us on the doll where the Northeast touched you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 04:35 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,172 times
I just call myself a Midwesterner I suppose. I don’t really refer to myself much wrt to my exact location. I’m not a southerner, but I don’t live in the northern Midwest either. The Midwest is a big place.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:22 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The discussion is not where they ARE, but what they CALL themselves (see OP's title of thread ).
Most people who are natives of Missouri don't consider themselves northerners, but they will often claim they are from the Midwest.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:24 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I just call myself a Midwesterner I suppose. I don’t really refer to myself much wrt to my exact location. I’m not a southerner, but I don’t live in the northern Midwest either. The Midwest is a big place.
The Midwest is a large region, but the vast majority is certainly northern. St. Louis is kind of a Midwest island surrounded by other rural areas that are more southern influenced for certain. Whereas, if you are in other areas of the region it is 100% Midwest and mostly northern- that is a big difference overall.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:23 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
I dont. As mentioned by some...Northerner is not really a regional identity. Its more a term used by Southerners.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:15 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Northerners are those from both the Midwest and the Northeast, i.e. the Union states during the Civil War (minus Oregon and California, which are Western states).

Old 11-28-2018, 01:07 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
The Northeast and the Midwest are collectively the northern United states.

Some far flung corners of the Midwest do drift so far south that they are reasonably more southern; The extreme south of Illinois, the bootheel/Ozarks of Missouri, and perhaps even the southwest corner of Indiana. Those areas are distinctly more southern than, say, 20 miles further north.

However, it is very important to acknowledge that those areas are the exception, not the rule, and are brought on by odd state borders. Overall the Midwest is the larger portion of the north. In fact, if this country were not so obsessed with the east coast, Midwestern culture would likely be seen as the standard for northern American culture.

Geographically the Midwest reaches even further north than the Northeast. New York's northern most point only reaches as far as southern Minnesota (around Minneapolis) and roughly central South Dakota. Minnesota and North Dakota beat out even Maine in northward reach.

If I were to travel in a direct crow-flies line from upstate NY's southern tier, I would find myself passing through Iowa and landing in Nebraska.

As some may point out, in Ohio the Midwest contains a small portion of Appalachia. It is also important to acknowledge that the Appalachians and their variety of cultures therein are not exclusively southern. Arguably, the greater portion of the mountain range is located in the north and Canada (including all geological relations).

Last edited by CookieSkoon; 11-28-2018 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-28-2018, 01:23 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
As an addendum to my previous post; I am from New York and I don't directly call myself a northerner either. Though I acknowledge that I am, in fact, from the north, my choice of regional identity is tied much more to my local experiences.

I am from the Alleghenies. I am an upstater (New Yorker more referring to NYC folk IMO). I am a Twintiersman. I am Appalachian. I am American. Or sometimes I refer to myself as Elmiran (closest well known city) in certain conversations.

I am more likely to call myself northern only in reference to the Appalachian mountains.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:36 PM

557 posts, read 715,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Still fightin' the "War Between the States".
There is a bit of truth to this. I grew up in Wisconsin and never heard anyone refer to themselves as Northerners. Everyone just said they're from Wisconsin or maybe the Midwest. I do think there's more consciousness surrounding the Civil War in the South and non-Southern states like PA where battles were actually fought, which solidifies the use of the terms Northern and Southern in vernacular. We learned about the Civil War in school, sure, but it wasn't made out to be as big of a deal as it is in the South. Like, I rarely ever gave it a thought until I traveled to the South, it just seemed like something long ago and mostly forgotten in WI. How much the average American might think about the War of 1812 is about how much thought I gave to the Civil War growing up.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:10 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Northerners are those from both the Midwest and the Northeast, i.e. the Union states during the Civil War (minus Oregon and California, which are Western states).
True but the northeast and midwest are classified as two distinct regions whereas the South streachs from the bottom half of the east coast to Texas. A person from NC is in the region as someone from Louisiana despite being hundreds of miles apart whereas New York and Ohio are in different regions despite both being in the North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.