Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 03:29 PM

606 posts, read 419,615 times

Advertisements

So I figured it would be better for me to post here because I'd wanted to hear answers from people from different states.

I feel like the past several months after nursing school has been nothing but stress. It's gotten bad to the point where I've had sleep disturbance and burnout issues. I'm a new LPN with about 3 months experience, most being in homecare. But I've had multiple things stressing me out and I'm not sure if these can be attributed to nyc.

1. I've had issues with taxes. I really hate that the more I earn the more I get taxed. And as a single, childess female I get hit hard with that.

2. Health insurance has become a luxury now. Especially with the taxes and student loans coming up. I really want to move somewhere where I can have enough money for savings and everything else and live comfortably.

3. I am constantly feeling overworked. I am an LPN so I think it's unreasonable for me to be working 5-6 days. I'd want to work 4 10 hour shifts ideally or 3 12s. The 2 hour subway commutes each way are also getting old and it's to expensive for me to own a car.

4. I really could care less about the 4 seasons. I really don't like the cold and I enjoy the sun. I don't mind hot weather.

So I guess to sum it up I'm looking for

1. Good place for LPNs. I really really hate nursing homes and I hate that being here I'm limited to homecare (which I love! Especially peds) and LTC. I feel like ny state abuses and limits us at the same time because we are cheaper to hire than the RN (we do most of the same work)
2. Low/no income tax with good pay
3. 75% of the year sunny and moderately warm/hot
4. Reasonable cost of living for a single woman
5. No small towns
6. Metropolitan areas (doesn't have to be massive like LA or NYC but I'd want a place with a good downtown/night life)

I absolutely will not go to the southeast because I've lived there my entire life so I'm looking for something new. The only exceptions would be Florida and maybe Texas.

I'm looking to save up and move in the fall. I just gotta get out of here soon lol. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 04:26 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I wouldn't pay as much attention to taxes as most cities/states aren't going to be anywhere like NYC/NY. Given your desire for a less stressful slower pace of life, an active downtown/nightlife and a reasonable cost of living balanced against a decent salary and fairly sunny climates (200+ per year), cities like St Louis or Kansas City would be my suggestion. The Midwest offers a pretty ideal lifestyle for young professionals given it's favorable economics and better work/life balance generally speaking.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:50 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I think you may have answered your own questions...

Old 12-27-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wouldn't pay as much attention to taxes as most cities/states aren't going to be anywhere like NYC/NY. Given your desire for a less stressful slower pace of life, an active downtown/nightlife and a reasonable cost of living balanced against a decent salary and fairly sunny climates (200+ per year), cities like St Louis or Kansas City would be my suggestion. The Midwest offers a pretty ideal lifestyle for young professionals given it's favorable economics and better work/life balance generally speaking.
Thanks! I will look into the midwest. I've also considered Chicago as well despite it's high crime rate. Nyc's is supposedly high too but I've never felt unsafe. I'm also looking for a strong arts community. Forgot to mention that.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:17 PM

730 posts, read 815,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
4. I really could care less about the 4 seasons. I really don't like the cold and I enjoy the sun. I don't mind hot weather.
Quote:
Thanks! I will look into the midwest. I've also considered Chicago as well despite it's high crime rate. Nyc's is supposedly high too but I've never felt unsafe. I'm also looking for a strong arts community. Forgot to mention that.
You specifically stated that you don't like the cold, so why on earth would you consider Chicago or the Midwest? Have you seen how cold it gets there?

Check out the Tampa area. Wonderful arts community in St Pete, it doesn't get cold, the cost of living is much lower than in NY, and they always need nurses.

I'd also look into Houston and Phoenix.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:05 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Check out the Tampa area. Wonderful arts community in St Pete, it doesn't get cold, the cost of living is much lower than in NY, and they always need nurses.
The issue is as a Florida resident aware of the current situation, the rent to income inequality which is a real problem here. The cost of living is much lower than NYC, but the rent is not proportional to salaries. The OP will see a similar salary in Missouri or Ohio versus Florida, but with rents 2/3 the value of what is seen in Florida.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:18 PM

Thanks all!

I've heard mixed reviews on Florida. I suppose that's where travel nursing for a bit will come into play. I did do google search on some studios and have seen reasonable prices I can afford in some areas.

I have definitely considered Arizona. I've been keeping up with the winter weather there and that's up my alley. I have to skip out on Ohio because the pay may be too low. And I don't know anything about Missouri. I'll have to research

Old 12-27-2018, 07:39 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Thanks all!

I've heard mixed reviews on Florida. I suppose that's where travel nursing for a bit will come into play. I did do google search on some studios and have seen reasonable prices I can afford in some areas.

I have definitely considered Arizona. I've been keeping up with the winter weather there and that's up my alley. I have to skip out on Ohio because the pay may be too low. And I don't know anything about Missouri. I'll have to research
I think Missouri winters might be too cold if you like Phoenix winters a lot.I may be wrong though.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:47 PM

Pretty much anything below 45 I can't really tolerate too well. But even anything in the 50s is too cold if there is high wind and low humidity.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
1. Good place for LPNs. I really really hate nursing homes and I hate that being here I'm limited to homecare (which I love! Especially peds) and LTC. I feel like ny state abuses and limits us at the same time because we are cheaper to hire than the RN (we do most of the same work)
2. Low/no income tax with good pay
3. 75% of the year sunny and moderately warm/hot
4. Reasonable cost of living for a single woman
5. No small towns
6. Metropolitan areas (doesn't have to be massive like LA or NYC but I'd want a place with a good downtown/night life)
Las Vegas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.