Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 08:06 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

Loved living 90% of my life in Charlotte. I wouldn’t mind living there 100% of my life.

I love living in DC. No regrets. It’s great. There’s so many places I would be content living 100% of my life in. Paris, Rio, Madrid, LA, Miami, NYC, São Paulo, Barcelona are some of my top cities I would chose to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 08:56 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
I have spent 52 of my 53 years in rural/small town/suburban NW Ohio/SE Michigan due to the fact that almost everyone in my and my DH's immediate families live in this area, I have very deep roots here (ancestors first settled here back in the early 1800s and never left, there is even a small town named after an ancestor on my father's side), because our elderly parents and adult kids are happily settled in here (that's the main reason), and the people here are remarkably nice and down to earth. I do not love winters here but April-October I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, it is amazing.

We lived that one other year in a popular, growing, Sunbelt metro area and absolutely hated it. I couldn't wait to get back home so I think that now I am just destined to stay here. Apparently this old dog isn't into learning new tricks.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:24 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I have spent about 70% of my life in Jacksonville, FL. Born and raised. Maybe that qualifies as "most" of my life? And that is also only true if we count all the years that I split time between Jacksonville and elsewhere. Eg, I currently consider Jax and Miami to be my home bases, but I'm really only in Jax 20% of the year and Miami about 60%. So yes, Jax is my hometown and I think it will be a "home" for much of the rest of my life, but no I do not spend all that much time in it that I feel stuck or missing out on the rest of the world.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:12 PM

885 posts, read 624,911 times
I'm a city person. Am pushing 70. Have lived in Chicago all my life. Only in the city. Never been tainted by suburbia. I hate traffic and driving, so I walk and use public transportation (L and bus). This fact would limit my choice of cities in US, as I would only live in a place which has rapid transit, not light rail or BRT, and a place which has high walk scores.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:41 AM

229 posts, read 217,635 times
I’ve lived in salt lake area for 22 of my 27 years living. I do like it here but I could see myself moving when I am able to. A grant paid for my grad program, but the requirements make it so I have to stay here an additional 5 years or pay all that money back.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:05 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
70% of my life in Corpus Christi. Should've left much earlier. I know for sure that Clemson isn't home, so looking at OC or Seattle. OC really is cost prohibitive, Seattle is a little better. If I were smart, I'd stay here, move back to Texas or the midwest. COL is just insanely good in those areas.

For the record I've never regretted anywhere I lived, DC, Denver, Texas, Clemson.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:19 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
I've lived in the Lansing, MI metro area for about 90% of my life. The other slightly under 10% was in State College, PA for grad school.

I want to experience living in a bigger city for a while (a few weeks in Detroit proper don't really count in my opinion.) But I wonder how I'd really feel after dealing with all of that traffic for months on end.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:26 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
About 60% in the Columbus and Dayton OH metros, 40% in the SF Bay Area (East Bay). I think it’s good to move away from your home area and broaden your horizons, even if choosing to return later.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:46 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
My hubby and I lived for 40 & 38 years in our hometown in Central California. We considered briefly moving to Minnesota when we were in our early twenties when hubby was offered a job in that state, but it was a huge move, the new job wouldn't help with moving costs, and we were broke, plus all of our family was in California so we passed on the job and stayed.

Then we had kids and it felt so important to have our kids grow up with their grandparents, Aunt's and Uncle's, and their cousins.

As the kids started getting older, and we started wanting out of California more and more, an opportunity to look for a job out of state became available and we jumped on it. After a quick road trip through the Pacific Northwest, we ended up packing up our family and moving to Western Wyoming. We did this two years ago.

All I can say is despite missing our family, we should have made this move years ago. We are far happier here, than we ever were in California. We had no idea how unhappy we were until we went somewhere vastly better.
It was nice to have our kids grow up with their extended family while they were young, but we are oh so glad we moved away when we did,and the kids are old enough now where road trips to visit California are no big deal.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:39 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
My hubby and I lived for 40 & 38 years in our hometown in Central California. We considered briefly moving to Minnesota when we were in our early twenties when hubby was offered a job in that state, but it was a huge move, the new job wouldn't help with moving costs, and we were broke, plus all of our family was in California so we passed on the job and stayed.

Then we had kids and it felt so important to have our kids grow up with their grandparents, Aunt's and Uncle's, and their cousins.

As the kids started getting older, and we started wanting out of California more and more, an opportunity to look for a job out of state became available and we jumped on it. After a quick road trip through the Pacific Northwest, we ended up packing up our family and moving to Western Wyoming. We did this two years ago.

All I can say is despite missing our family, we should have made this move years ago. We are far happier here, than we ever were in California. We had no idea how unhappy we were until we went somewhere vastly better.
It was nice to have our kids grow up with their extended family while they were young, but we are oh so glad we moved away when we did,and the kids are old enough now where road trips to visit California are no big deal.
What changed that made your life so much better in Western Wyoming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.