Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 09:53 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,233,649 times

Advertisements

I'm 23. With the exception of three years spent living in the Lehigh Valley in PA, I've spent the vast majority of my life living in the Philadelphia area--both within the city proper and the surrounding suburbs (specifically, Delaware County). I'm planning on staying in the metro for the rest of my life, except I won't be moving out to the suburbs ever again! I love mostly everything about Philly with all my heart: the architecture, the food, the hustle and bustle, the job opportunities, the skyline, the history, SEPTA (our public transit system), and many more. I decided to attend Temple University due in large part to my desire to stay in the city. A few months after graduation, and I have a well-paying job in finance and my own large apartment in West Philly. I love this place, and I want to raise a family here one day!

Also, let me elaborate on something that's often stated about the Philly area, but is deeply appreciated: proximity to everything! I'm about an hour and a half from the Jersey Shore (about 2 hours from DE and MD beaches), 2-3 hours from the scenic mountains of Northeast PA (Delaware Water Gap is one of the prettiest places on this planet), 2 hours in either direction from NYC, Baltimore, and DC, and not too far from other cities--Boston, Toronto, Chicago, etc.--via flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 10:06 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
About 30% of my life has been spent residing exclusively in the Bay Area. As it is now I'm in Switzerland and Brazil a lot. When my kids start school in a couple of years I'm staying put in Piedmont permanently so they can have consistency and be near family.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:15 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
They don't have to be large. Maybe medium-sized something like Madison, Wisconsin or even La Crosse Wisconsin.

I don't think you want to go too small, because more likely than not, people who lived and were raised in very small cities or towns most likely have moved at some point.
The largest town I've lived in, minus the summer I got suckered, I mean talked into trying to sell bibles in Roanoke, Va.,is where I live right now, with a little over 10,000. I've never moved more than 90 miles from here and moved back after 40 years. Never had a need to move anywhere else. Plenty of things to do and plenty of friendly people here in western Kentucky.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:21 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,468,122 times
I've spent over 70% of my life living in the Miami area. Though by the time I moved out, it had been 90% and 100% of anywhere I had a memory of.

I moved, specifically at the time I did, because I got into a long distance relationship. Went out to the middle of nowhere West Texas. But aside from that, I hated living in Miami. Was tired of it. I'm glad I got out when I did. I visit, but would never move back. Definitely my least favourite major city.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:11 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,523,945 times
I lived a year in Orlando, a year in Columbus, and a year and a half in the Boston/Cape Cod area. All of the other 53 years of my life I've lived in the town I grew up in outside of Charlotte (Gastonia). I was raised here. My wife and I absolutely love it. Plan on never leaving again.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:16 PM

155 posts, read 149,078 times
Just wondering?

Doesn't living in one small part of the world give one a very limited view of the world and all it's diversity?

With the only contact with the world outside the US (or a town or a city or a state) through a very polluted press?

Old 02-08-2019, 01:23 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post
Just wondering?

Doesn't living in one small part of the world give one a very limited view of the world and all it's diversity?

With the only contact with the world outside the US (or a town or a city or a state) through a very polluted press?
No. That's why people travel.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:18 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
No. That's why people travel.
This is true, but there is something to be said for living in a different place too. Visiting and living in a place are two different things.

Visiting gives you a taste of that culture and its people. Living immerses you and can change you and your perspective of things in life.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:56 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,523,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post
Just wondering?

Not really. I'm 53 and have traveled a lot my whole life. I lived a year in Orlando, FL and Columbus, OH and a year and a half in Boston, MA. Other than that, I've spent the other years of my life in the metro area where I was raised (Charlotte, NC). I live here now and never plan to leave again. We love it here so much, we see no reason to. Having said all of that, I've learned that I can enjoy and appreciate people and places of all types without having to actually move there. Close family ties and roots are very important to me. Those are where my goals in life lie. My wife, our 4 young adult children (23-28), 2 granddaughters, other family, close friends, my local church, no debts, paid off home, the things we love to see and do here as locals, the ability to travel pretty much where we want, etc. I couldn't do those things spending lots of money moving everywhere. The only limits one has for learning and appreciating others and other places are self-imposed for the most part. Living abroad won't necessarily change that. This is not to put down or "judging" other's decisions to move. I'm not here to make others decisions and others aren't here to make my decisions. It's just my personal take on life, one my parents instilled in me and my 2 brothers, we all instilled in our kids, and it's worked well for all of us. We all love traveling and have been greatly blessed by all we've seen and learned. We're all richer for that. But there's something in us that always calls us "home". The security. The peacefulness. The bond. For us, we wouldn't have it any other way. But everyone has their way of experiencing the World. I respect and appreciate that.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:04 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
45% in Inland Empire, CA
33% in Denver metro, CO
8% in NE Kern County, CA
7% in Orange County, CA
6% in Seattle/King Co./Everett, WA
1% in Spokane, WA/Post Falls, ID
Born in Los Angeles County, CA

I'm so glad I've been around a little bit. Most of one half of my family would have their Orange County at over 90%. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.