Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 02:33 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I don't think you want to go too small, because more likely than not, people who lived and were raised in very small cities or towns most likely have moved at some point.
Yes and no. For rural areas I would consider people who have lived in the same general region/area their entire lives to qualify even if they've moved between towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 03:37 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Curious as to those who have spent most of their lives living in the same city. Also I don't mean city proper, but metro as well. So someone if you grew up LA proper for the first 20 years, then moved to Anaheim, and those are the only two places you have ever lived you would fit the criteria.

if so, what were reasons you have decided to never move? Are you happy with your decision? Any regrets?
I grew up in the DC metro area and have lived here most of my life. It's just the way things worked out for me going through school, college, work and family life. That's been the trajectory.

I've thought about moving to other places for new experiences. But this area has always felt like a "home base" kind of place.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:04 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Quote:
How long have you been living there for? How old are you?
I have been living here for 25 years and I am in my 20's.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:08 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,009,673 times
Not counting college, yeah, I guess I did.

But I don't now. I first moved away from Chicagoland at 23 and I'm 24 now, having lived in two cities since then. There's not much for me back there - when I first left for college, most of my friends evaporated, so I'd only move back if my parents needed me to care for them.

If I can, I'd even like to leave the US.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:13 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
What makes you want to stay there?
Job opportunities, family, friends, NYC, quality schools, proximity to beaches ... lot of reasons.

I grew up here. Ties.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:15 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
About 85% of my life, or close to 60 years in the NYC area. Was born here. Spent from ages 13 to 24 on the west coast during high school and college and graduate studies. Came back to NYC for economic opportunity and stayed for it as well. Got married, raised a family and retired here. We have a nice house and lots of amenities nearby. No longer have the desire I had when I was young for nicer climates, better scenery, exotic locations, travel or adventure. Safety, comfort, access to doctors, and comfortable finances are the priorities.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:05 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
Curious as to those who have spent most of their lives living in the same city. Also I don't mean city proper, but metro as well. So someone if you grew up LA proper for the first 20 years, then moved to Anaheim, and those are the only two places you have ever lived you would fit the criteria.

if so, what were reasons you have decided to never move? Are you happy with your decision? Any regrets?
I have, in a couple areas. Aging parents and knowing they may need my help and not wanting to have to try to find a way to move back when that time comes, plus the expense of moving cross-country (and not having a tie to any specific area to be able to choose where I might want to go) keep me here, as well as the knowledge that more-desirable places probably have a much higher cost of living. I hate it here, but there you go.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:11 PM

118 posts, read 121,877 times
First I lived in the vicinity of Harrison AR, then in the Fayetteville AR area, then in the Springfield MO area. Moved houses a lot. I'm in my early 20s. We'll see where I go next.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:12 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,044,183 times
95% of my life in Cleveland area. Lived for a few years in Dallas, left to come back home to NEO. Wanted to move to CA for a while then decided against it. Travel a decent amount, but always come back home. Will probably never leave. Reasons for staying, in order of priority: Family (parents, kids, grandkids), cultural amenities, parks, COL.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:58 PM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
100% here, sadly. I am 32.5 years old; hopefully in five years I'll be able to respond differently to this question. The location I list on city-data is accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.