Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Natural Disaster
Hurricanes 49 31.82%
Tornadoes 32 20.78%
Wildfires 9 5.84%
Blizzards 9 5.84%
Earthquakes 37 24.03%
Flooding 16 10.39%
Volcanoes 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 06:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Having to replace your roof doesn't count as significant damage? Being without power for a week and trapped for 3 days in your house seems like a pretty big deal imo.
I wasn't even in a hurricane zone when that happened. We are very far inland. VERY far. It was a fluke.

Quote:
113 direct and indirect deaths have been reported in the US, including 85 in Texas (18 direct), eight in Louisiana, one in Arkansas, two in Tennessee, one in Kentucky, seven in Indiana, four in Missouri, two in Illinois, two in Michigan, seven in Ohio and one in Pennsylvania.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/AL092008_Ike.pdf

The places I bolded are very far inland and not typically considered "hurricane prone areas."

I was talking about living in areas that are generally impacted by hurricanes - I should have clarified that.

We live at least five hours from the coast - this was Hurricane Ike, and that particular hurricane wreaked havoc in areas that are usually not affected at all.

That is why I would be more worried about hurricane damage than tornado damage.

What I was referring to though is the flooding and absolute catastrophe that hurricanes can cause - think New Orleans or Houston. But you're right - I should have been more specific. That is though, why I said I prefer living in an area that is generally only at risk for tornadoes vs hurricanes.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 06-26-2019 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 06:25 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Hurricanes come with advanced notice, often up to a week giving people more than time to flee. The biggest issue is the aftermath where it can take a few days, week, few weeks or longer for essential services to be restored. Also depends where direct impact takes place, where you live and how influential/important your neighborhood is. During Irma, water from the bay was flooding Brickell Ave in Miami but power was restored in many buildings that same day. Then again, during the mid 2000’s friends of mine in uber wealthy Palm Beach were without power for more than a week but had a generator in their home.

I wouldn’t downplay the effects of earthquakes—I lived in CA when impactful ones took place in Loma Prieta/San Francisco, Northridge and Whittier.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:29 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Flooding, large wildfires, hurricanes, and tornadoes are huge turn offs for me. No waterproof home exists and water causes too much damage and power outages. Fire is a horrible thing, but if a place with small wildfires away from civilization exists, then that's not a big deal. Hurricanes are terrible, because power gets knocked out and homes get destroyed. Tornado is a guaranteed destruction.

My dad's biggest turn off is earthquakes. My mom is from California and my dad is from NJ and when they married, my dad said he did not want California, because he would prefer snow and hurricanes over earthquakes. My mom moved here, because my dad was already settled with a house anyways and my mom was moving out of her parents' place.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Flooding, large wildfires, hurricanes, and tornadoes are huge turn offs for me. No waterproof home exists and water causes too much damage and power outages. Fire is a horrible thing, but if a place with small wildfires away from civilization exists, then that's not a big deal. Hurricanes are terrible, because power gets knocked out and homes get destroyed. Tornado is a guaranteed destruction.

My dad's biggest turn off is earthquakes. My mom is from California and my dad is from NJ and when they married, my dad said he did not want California, because he would prefer snow and hurricanes over earthquakes. My mom moved here, because my dad was already settled with a house anyways and my mom was moving out of her parents' place.
LOL tornadoes are definitely NOT "guaranteed destruction." I mean, I guess if you are in the very narrow, direct path of one, maybe. But those odds are actually very low.

Personally for me it's either wildfires or hurricanes - because of the flooding. Really, any place that is prone to flooding is a turnoff to me. Turnoff, what am I saying? An absolute NO GO.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:30 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I wouldn’t downplay the effects of earthquakes—I lived in CA when impactful ones took place in Loma Prieta/San Francisco, Northridge and Whittier.
Nobody was downplaying the "effects" of earthquakes. More that it's an odd thing to worry about so much given how rare and random they are.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:28 AM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Where in the NY area are you?

I know in many places in Suffolk County, especially where there is new construction, they are building power lines underground now.

I live in Nassau County, was here when Sandy came around. We are not immune to hurricanes. Power lines above ground are definitely a big issue for sure.
I live in Westchester County, in a townhouse development. The townhouse development's lines are underground, not an unmixed blessing, especially when the salt used to de-ice the roads causes outages. On Sandy Day, October 29, 2012 our power went out around 5:30 p.m., after flickering for a while. Power came back in November 2, 2012 around 6:00 p.m. The rest of my municipality came back days later. The state road lines were restored first and, with underground power our electricity came back immediately thereafter. The other developments, with above-ground lines, about four or five days later.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:29 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Flooding
After losing our last home to Sandy, flooding would be on top of our list

Old 06-27-2019, 08:19 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL tornadoes are definitely NOT "guaranteed destruction." I mean, I guess if you are in the very narrow, direct path of one, maybe. But those odds are actually very low.

Personally for me it's either wildfires or hurricanes - because of the flooding. Really, any place that is prone to flooding is a turnoff to me. Turnoff, what am I saying? An absolute NO GO.
In the Midwest and the South it would be a guaranteed destruction, but here in the Mid-Atlantic, flooding and tornadoes mean NOTHING to us, because tornadoes never destroy NJ and only coastal NJ gets flooded. Nobody in my family owns a shore house, so we have no worries about flooding in NJ.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
In the Midwest and the South it would be a guaranteed destruction, but here in the Mid-Atlantic, flooding and tornadoes mean NOTHING to us, because tornadoes never destroy NJ and only coastal NJ gets flooded. Nobody in my family owns a shore house, so we have no worries about flooding in NJ.
I have lived in the South nearly my entire life of 57 years. I have been actually IN the vicinity of tornadoes, SEEN funnels, etc. I hear the tornado warning sirens just about every year where I live now. Never in my life have I had the slightest damage from a tornado, and certainly no injuries. Not only that, I don't know anyone who has suffered any ill effects from tornadoes.

I did however, lose my roof and get trapped in my house for days via flooding, five hours inland from when Hurricane Ike struck.

Just for some perspective.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:06 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have lived in the South nearly my entire life of 57 years. I have been actually IN the vicinity of tornadoes, SEEN funnels, etc. I hear the tornado warning sirens just about every year where I live now. Never in my life have I had the slightest damage from a tornado, and certainly no injuries. Not only that, I don't know anyone who has suffered any ill effects from tornadoes.

I did however, lose my roof and get trapped in my house for days via flooding, five hours inland from when Hurricane Ike struck.

Just for some perspective.
I mean, tornadoes can be more destructive than many other natural disasters, including flooding. It can rip a house apart in seconds, literally turning it from something into absolutely nothing, depending on how strong it is. EF2's might not be too extreme, but EF3-EF5's can devastate an area. As you said in another post, they affect a much narrower path than say a hurricane, but within that path they can do much, much more damage than a hurricane.

Sounds like you've never seen a powerful tornado before.

I'm not trying to downplay hurricanes/flooding, but I just think it's misleading to say that because you personally "haven't seen extreme damage from a tornado", that tornadoes overall are not threatening or disastrous. They absolutely can be and are.

Last edited by CCrest182; 06-27-2019 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.