Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 08:50 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times

Advertisements

Sorry to be blunt, but you’re gonna need to make concessions, learn new skills (and/or a second job), or marry someone making good money. With your weather and hiking requirements, along with needing to be in/near a city for work there’s only three places that truly fit that, Coastal Southern California, the Bay Area, and Oahu. But then again I guess those places are out too (regardless of money) because you don’t want to deal with traffic either. I wish you luck with your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 08:57 AM

35,073 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Why not just move up the road to WNC?

Old 09-13-2019, 11:17 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Why not just move up the road to WNC?
The last winter nearly killed him, so I don't see him going anywhere north of Landrum!

Old 09-13-2019, 05:10 PM

994 posts, read 968,129 times
We got over 10 inches of snow with 1 storm up in Landrum last winter. Knocked trees/powerlines over and destroyed my Porch awning. No power for a week. Not wanting to go through that anymore.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:28 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
hose are areas and ones I would love to be for the moderate climate. But the OP is actually in SC now and wanting to move somewhere warmer...s/he isn't coming from up north. And if Phoenix is too chilly? A previous poster suggested Mexico - that's probably the best suggestion if the temperature gauge really is "Phoenix is chilly". Or maybe Costa Rica or Belize.
Oh I missed that...... I thought the OP is up north. Yes South Carolina is obviously the same climate as the other three states I mentioned. In the US the only option warmer with mountains other than Arizona would be Hawaii or Puerto Rico. Sounds like the OP needs the tropics....PR and HI are the only American options there.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:50 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Oh I missed that...... I thought the OP is up north. Yes South Carolina is obviously the same climate as the other three states I mentioned. In the US the only option warmer with mountains other than Arizona would be Hawaii or Puerto Rico. Sounds like the OP needs the tropics....PR and HI are the only American options there.
Or the US Virgin Islands which was going to be my recommendation. St John USVI has three mountain peaks around 1,200 feet which while not considered tall, decent hikes if considering a start point at sea level.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/us-virgin-islands/st-john

Old 09-14-2019, 09:03 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Or the US Virgin Islands which was going to be my recommendation. St John USVI has three mountain peaks around 1,200 feet which while not considered tall, decent hikes if considering a start point at sea level.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/us-virgin-islands/st-john
Don't forget the part about finding an IT job as well. While I'm sure many self-employed/contract IT geeks work remotely from the USVI, Hawai'i, American Samoa and PR, I don't think the OP is in that position yet!

I also think popwar would probably get "island fever", of course if it's only for 3-4 months, maybe not.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:07 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,269 times
Here in Las Vegas I can hike in Red Rock or Lone Mountain on most winter days in a T-shirt and/or light jacket. It’s almost always sunny which helps it feel warmer when hiking. Mt Charleston certainly has snow in wintertime but with a jacket and long pants you can hike many trails up there in the sunshine as well. Our winter daytime highs here are usually 50s-60s.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:15 AM

994 posts, read 968,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Here in Las Vegas I can hike in Red Rock or Lone Mountain on most winter days in a T-shirt and/or light jacket. It’s almost always sunny which helps it feel warmer when hiking. Mt Charleston certainly has snow in wintertime but with a jacket and long pants you can hike many trails up there in the sunshine as well. Our winter daytime highs here are usually 50s-60s.
I am submitting for jobs in Vegas and Phoenix. Phoenix is nicer and I have spent a good amount of time there, not much in Vegas. I would rather give Vegas a spin , as long as I have a job lined up .

Old 09-19-2019, 04:02 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
In the southwest during cooler months, the sun shines bright on most days. Also, the air is usually very dry, not damp like in South Carolina or anywhere else in the southeast region. This makes huge difference in how a temperature feels. If hiking at elevations below 3000' - 4000' during mid-day or afternoon hours in AZ, the sun can often feel pretty intense. Maybe the official temperature in the shade says 65 F, but when hiking uphill in the sun, most people are thankful it is not much hotter. This is why December to March are peak tourist season in Southern AZ. Go to places like Saguaro Nat'l Park, Tucson Mountain Park, Catalina State Park or Sabino Canyon and the parking lots are full and there are loads of people out hiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.