Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 02:07 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
The suburbs connect...trains run back and forth between Milwaukee and Chicago 7x daily...and they're adding 3 daily runs. I'd say that's a connection. Maybe you made the post with this in mind...city proper, only. City proper usually doesn't mean anything, unless the OP restricts it to that. I've lived in Milwaukee and Chicago, and trust me, there's a huge connection. Also, people are saying Minneapolis borders WI, it does, but it's the suburbs that do.
This thread is about cities legal borders butting up to states. Hence Chicago-Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 02:12 PM

885 posts, read 624,546 times
Some posters have noted that Chicago borders Indiana. Chicago, Cook Co., and IL share a border road with Hammond, Lake Co., IN. All you need to do is cross this street, State Line Rd., and you leave one and enter the other.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:33 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
The suburbs connect...trains run back and forth between Milwaukee and Chicago 7x daily...and they're adding 3 daily runs. I'd say that's a connection. Maybe you made the post with this in mind...city proper, only. City proper usually doesn't mean anything, unless the OP restricts it to that. I've lived in Milwaukee and Chicago, and trust me, there's a huge connection. Also, people are saying Minneapolis borders WI, it does, but it's the suburbs that do.
First of all I am the OP. As I stated, this thread is exclusive to city limits. Also this isn't about connection, this is about being the city proper bordering another state. I think you are missing the point of the thread.

And just FYI I live in Chicago and have lived here for 30+ years, so I am well aware how connected Chicago is to Wisconsin, but you are missing the point of this thread entirely.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:36 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
Some posters have noted that Chicago borders Indiana. Chicago, Cook Co., and IL share a border road with Hammond, Lake Co., IN. All you need to do is cross this street, State Line Rd., and you leave one and enter the other.
That's gotta be so weird. That let's say your house is right on that road, and your neighbor's across the street are in another state. For example, next year when recreational marijuana is legal in Illinois, if you live on the Indiana side you can just cross the street smoke up out in the open and it be legal, but then cross the street and it's illegal when you go back to Indiana? I find that so weird.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:01 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
That's gotta be so weird. That let's say your house is right on that road, and your neighbor's across the street are in another state. For example, next year when recreational marijuana is legal in Illinois, if you live on the Indiana side you can just cross the street smoke up out in the open and it be legal, but then cross the street and it's illegal when you go back to Indiana? I find that so weird.
Conversely, on the Chicago side you can step right across the street and get fireworks, discounts goods/lower taxes on almost everything, gambling, sports betting.... It would actually be interesting to live over there. It's an interesting dynamic as you have an expensive, world class city on one side, and basically a free for all haven for everything you can't get in Chicago/Illinois all on the other side. Don't think many other major cities have this advantage. At least comparing to NYC/LA/SF

Old 09-26-2019, 03:18 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Lake Tahoe is half in Nevada.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:33 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Toledo borders MI

Louisville borders IN

Huntington WV borders OH

Danbury CT borders NY

Nashua NH borders MA

Old 09-26-2019, 06:27 PM

1,168 posts, read 777,404 times
I think Detroit, Buffalo and San Diego deserve honorable mention, since they border regions not included in their respective states. El Paso has been mentioned already

Old 09-27-2019, 01:12 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Here is one out of left-field. Lewiston, Idaho and Clarkston, WA border each other on the confluence of the Clearwater and Snake Rivers. These are the two closest cities between WA and ID, (just a bridge apart) though Post Falls, ID up north is a close 2nd.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:55 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Cincinnati's been mentioned, but it's the one that never registered with me much until I had to start travelling for work.
It was interesting to me that so much of the metro is in Kentucky.
I guess I always envisioned it being more solidly "northern" (I'm from the south).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.