Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 01:32 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,952 times

Advertisements

I agree that regional differences has dilluted greatly over the past decade. Gen Z is growing up in a homogenous America where things are less culturally segregated than they were 20-30 years ago. I still think Culture diversity still exist but in a more lifestyle choice rather than a regional thing. Many Southerners aren't getting married and going to church like they were in decades prior whereas in the Northeast is very common for kids to listen to trap music and use Southern slang. Just 15 years ago Northeasterners (specifically New Yorkers) made fun of everything that came out of the south now they celebrate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 10:22 AM

89 posts, read 59,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Like every other summer day in Texas, I had to get in my blazing hot car (its dash thermometer reading over 115) in the uncovered parking lot at work, and drive off while my a/c tried to catch up and cool the car, taking almost as long as all the way home. One time I sat in my hot car and didn't realize there was loose change on the seat. I got a dime-sized burn blister on my leg. And its hot like this, day after day after day after ...

Winter days in Boston have a wide range of conditions, its not always windy and icy. I'd much rather walk in the blustery cold (wearing appropriately warm clothing and and proper shoes) for the few days a year that actually are windy and icy, than literally burn my ass in a parking lot in Dallas daily for week after week.
I mean a car will got hot enough to burn in basically anywhere in the US in the summer if you're parked in the sun. Whereas I don't care how many layers you have on, when it's 15-25 degrees out and windy it still sucks and you can't escape that. Trudging through snow or having stinging ice/snow pellets hitting your face gets old quick. It's more than a few days a year as well.

But I digress - RE: the OP, I do agree that cultural differences can get exaggerated to help people feel like they belong to a community or are different. That being said, I do notice plenty of differences when I travel somewhere, it's definitely not just carbon copies out there.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:28 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantstofry View Post
I mean a car will got hot enough to burn in basically anywhere in the US in the summer if you're parked in the sun. Whereas I don't care how many layers you have on, when it's 15-25 degrees out and windy it still sucks and you can't escape that. Trudging through snow or having stinging ice/snow pellets hitting your face gets old quick. It's more than a few days a year as well. .
Agreed.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:33 AM

403 posts, read 295,865 times
I disagree. The south and northeast have very little in common. Sure you are not in a foreign country, but there are very much notable differences.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:58 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I agree that regional differences has dilluted greatly over the past decade. Gen Z is growing up in a homogenous America where things are less culturally segregated than they were 20-30 years ago. I still think Culture diversity still exist but in a more lifestyle choice rather than a regional thing. Many Southerners aren't getting married and going to church like they were in decades prior whereas in the Northeast is very common for kids to listen to trap music and use Southern slang. Just 15 years ago Northeasterners (specifically New Yorkers) made fun of everything that came out of the south now they celebrate it.
Agreed. You have people in the Northeast listening to trap music and people in California saying "facts" and "deadass".

Old 12-29-2020, 12:14 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantstofry View Post
I mean a car will got hot enough to burn in basically anywhere in the US in the summer if you're parked in the sun. Whereas I don't care how many layers you have on, when it's 15-25 degrees out and windy it still sucks and you can't escape that. Trudging through snow or having stinging ice/snow pellets hitting your face gets old quick. It's more than a few days a year as well.

But I digress - RE: the OP, I do agree that cultural differences can get exaggerated to help people feel like they belong to a community or are different. That being said, I do notice plenty of differences when I travel somewhere, it's definitely not just carbon copies out there.
I think the winter aspect is exaggerated here though. It doesn’t happen like that and even in places that get a lot of snow, it just doesn’t stick around like it used to or you may get hit with bursts of snow. It was in the 50’s on Christmas in much of Upstate NY for instance.

I do agree that while not strict, there are still cultural differences and this can occur within the same state to some degree.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:45 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
I disagree. The south and northeast have very little in common. Sure you are not in a foreign country, but there are very much notable differences.
Yep or Seattle vs Miami......totally different.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:25 PM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I'd much rather fry while walking across a Kroger parking lot in Dallas than freeze my ass off walking through the wind tunnels in Boston while trying to dodge patches of black ice.
This is why the mid-Atlantic is the best.

Not too hot, not too cold. Goldilocks zone.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:12 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
I think people overestimate differences due to differences in the natural environment. Of course a place in the tropical swamps of Florida will feel different than a place in the Rockies etc.

But remove all that..step into a mall, a grocery store, a chain restaurant..and then you'll probably notice much starker difference between the relative socio-economic and demographic status of the place than where it is located in the country. A Whole Foods in L.A., D.C., Philly or Seattle..there's no notable difference in the crowd really.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:15 PM

403 posts, read 295,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I think people overestimate differences due to differences in the natural environment. Of course a place in the tropical swamps of Florida will feel different than a place in the Rockies etc.

But remove all that..step into a mall, a grocery store, a chain restaurant..and then you'll probably notice much starker difference between the relative socio-economic and demographic status of the place than where it is located in the country. A Whole Foods in L.A., D.C., Philly or Seattle..there's no notable difference in the crowd really.

I disagree. I mean I can tell a difference of place just going across the bridge from Pennsylvania to New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.