Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2020, 02:39 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
The hipsterization of pretty much every city, as well as the internet's strong influence on the youth is homogenizing the country regardless of location.

The main differences between the cities you listed are weather and racial demographics
Nope. You are overstating it a bit. It depends on one's perception, what they seek out, and their lack of experiences outside of their bubble. Racial demographics and climate are a big determinant of geographic differences and culture. You can't dismiss that. Of course there is a leveling and homogenization going on and no one is likely to suffer culture shock but you overstate the similarity.

The "hipsterization" of cities (which seem to be your focus) mostly involves a sub group and is one part of the urban/rural divide. The perception that rural people have of city life borders on a twisted fantasy because of the cultural artifacts that they see in the media and internet. The same is true to maybe a lesser extent when city people consider rural America.

Everything in rural America is on a slow evolutionary boil. Corporate America largely controls our national culture. They use market research and demographics to work out expansions and marketing strategies. People in the larger cities don't see it as much because they are already saturated. You have to be on the low end to see it.

I lived in a small town of roughly 40K in the Midwest. We had a couple Pizza Huts and a Sonic and McDonalds. When we hit 50K we were suddenly on the map and every 'big-box' and chain store popped up like mushrooms, Barnes & Noble, Red Lobster, Chile's Applebees, Lowes, you name it. Everything was new and shiny and the hometown crowd could not get enough. The downtown went belly up. The former 4H and FFA teen boys could barely keep their pants up and the girls were all Goths or Valley Girls. It was ridiculous. By the time I moved away there was a heroin problem. This all happened in the space of about three years.

Last edited by SunGrins; 12-11-2020 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 04:18 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah the restaurant thing I noticed too. People in New England are far less likely to be loyal to chain restaurants (outside of dunks and 99).

Far more local places than not. Chili's and Applebee's are a vibe in most of America which is crazy to think as a New Englander who ate at the Lynnwood, Town Spa, La Scala el Locale, the Inner and hilltop.

Even as close as NJ people have weird obsessions with chains. I don't get it myself. NYC is less like that (obviously) which I love. But once you hit the NJ border and go west, the local restaurants become less desired it seems
New Yorkers (other than hipster foodies) actually do like chains more than people think. When Chik Fil A opened up, people waited in huge lines to try it out.

Also, McDonald's has been very popular here since at least the 70s.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Nope. You are overstating it a bit. It depends on one's perception, what they seek out, and their lack of experiences outside of their bubble. Racial demographics and climate are a big determinant of geographic differences and culture. You can't dismiss that. Of course there is a leveling and homogenization going on and no one is likely to suffer culture shock but you overstate the similarity.

The "hipsterization" of cities (which seem to be your focus) mostly involves a sub group and is one part of the urban/rural divide. The perception that rural people have of city life borders on a twisted fantasy because of the cultural artifacts that they see in the media and internet. The same is true to maybe a lesser extent when city people consider rural America.

Everything in rural America is on a slow evolutionary boil. Corporate America largely controls our national culture. They use market research and demographics to work out expansions and marketing strategies. People in the larger cities don't see it as much because they are already saturated. You have to be on the low end to see it.

I lived in a small town of roughly 40K in the Midwest. We had a couple Pizza Huts and a Sonic and McDonalds. When we hit 50K we were suddenly on the map and every 'big-box' and chain store popped up like mushrooms, Barnes & Noble, Red Lobster, Chile's Applebees, Lowes, you name it. Everything was new and shiny and the hometown crowd could not get enough. The downtown went belly up. The former 4H and FFA teen boys could barely keep their pants up and the girls were all Goths or Valley Girls. It was ridiculous. By the time I moved away there was a heroin problem. This all happened in the space of about three years.
Only like 15% of the US's population lives in rural areas, though.

And your point about corporations shaping our country is true, but that just proves my point.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
The very word culture itself is tricky too, especially pertaining to the U.S.

One could argue that riding buses/trains in urban/city areas or hunting for food in rural/country areas is more of an adaptation to one's environment rather than a cultural manifestation.

Also, things like politics are very flexible and tricky. Many Democrats in 2016 voted for Trump and many Republicans in 2020 voted for Biden as an example. You also have plenty of socially conservative Democrats and socially liberal Republicans.

Nonetheless, I can see the argument going both ways. There were parts of Texas where I saw more Blacks and Hispanics dressed like cowboys than Whites....lol.
I agree that things like method of transportation aren't exactly culture.

Old 12-12-2020, 01:38 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Only like 15% of the US's population lives in rural areas, though.

And your point about corporations shaping our country is true, but that just proves my point.
Almost 1/4 of the population is rural and a sizable part of the urban population is transitional rural so that population can’t be dismissed. The rural population moving into cities brings cultural baggage that has an impact in the neighborhoods where they settle. Your point has merit but you are overstating it. Once one strays from the coastal areas, where there is considerable homogeneity, you will see more differences even between cities.

Old 12-12-2020, 03:22 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah the restaurant thing I noticed too. People in New England are far less likely to be loyal to chain restaurants (outside of dunks and 99).

Far more local places than not. Chili's and Applebee's are a vibe in most of America which is crazy to think as a New Englander who ate at the Lynnwood, Town Spa, La Scala el Locale, the Inner and hilltop.

Even as close as NJ people have weird obsessions with chains. I don't get it myself. NYC is less like that (obviously) which I love. But once you hit the NJ border and go west, the local restaurants become less desired it seems
Funny that you say Chili's.

I live in Malaysia now and I go to Chili's here (along with Krispy Kreme and McDonalds) more than I ever would back in the States? Why? Because it's the closest I'll get to half way decent "American" food.

Some local places here try to make American food, but they often try to make it gourmet, and far too fancy.

When I visit my mom back home, there are a couple local Chinese restaurants I want to visit, a few local pizza shops, and, of course, the 9s.

Plus, all I want to drink is a Sam Adams beers. Still can't get that over here!

Old 12-12-2020, 10:03 PM

38 posts, read 23,193 times
I kind of agree. I lived in Texas, New York, and California, and have been to many states (Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arizona, Florida, etc.).

There is definitely an American look and feel that let’s you know you’re in the U.S. If you plop a person in a strip mall in any of those states, you might not tell a difference. A lot of cities deal with similar issues, and the whole differences between major cities on the coasts versus all the others is starting to slip away (probably due to the internet and social media).

The biggest differences or ‘shocks’ I’ve experienced have been geography, weather, food preferences, and sometimes racial/ethnic demographics but that usually just influenced things like access to certain foods or markets around where I lived, for example. I guess you could say for the northeast it’s the difference in transportation.

Most Americans from anywhere I have been able to connect with on a normal level (I.e. few language misunderstandings, fashion differences, pop culture knowledge, etc.)

The only differences for me is urban/suburban versus rural, but that can be found in any state.

Old 12-12-2020, 10:17 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemylk View Post
I kind of agree. I lived in Texas, New York, and California, and have been to many states (Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arizona, Florida, etc.).

There is definitely an American look and feel that let’s you know you’re in the U.S. If you plop a person in a strip mall in any of those states, you might not tell a difference. A lot of cities deal with similar issues, and the whole differences between major cities on the coasts versus all the others is starting to slip away (probably due to the internet and social media).

The biggest differences or ‘shocks’ I’ve experienced have been geography, weather, food preferences, and sometimes racial/ethnic demographics but that usually just influenced things like access to certain foods or markets around where I lived, for example. I guess you could say for the northeast it’s the difference in transportation.

Most Americans from anywhere I have been able to connect with on a normal level (I.e. few language misunderstandings, fashion differences, pop culture knowledge, etc.)

The only differences for me is urban/suburban versus rural, but that can be found in any state.
Yeah, it's really the urban/suburban vs. rural divide where the differences are stark.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemylk View Post

Right.

And even then, I have cousins from a rural area and I never thought of them as being that much different from other kids. Both live in NYC now.

Old 12-13-2020, 05:55 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
This thread is silly.

OP looks for similarities in places and then say "see, they are all the same", while ignoring the things of differences.

If you are just looking at similarities then you can extend that to just about anywhere.

The US is rich in cultural differences. If it wasn't then I would not travel for pleasure at all.
I love going to different places and experiencing the nuances in lifestyle, food and culture.

I found it so silly seeing Americans visiting foreign countries, waiting in long lines and paying double what they would pay here for meals at burger king. Because English is widely spoken and US fast food is readily available in Ireland did that mean it's just the same as the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.