Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 09:23 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

Michigan however is saddled with places like Detroit and Flint and its economic dependency on auto manufacturers. Most Michigan people live near these embattled communities and they also live far from the beautiful areas of their state. The southern third of Michigan looks a lot like Indiana.

The auto industry is centered in SE Michigan. There is no auto industry in the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 09:49 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The auto industry is centered in SE Michigan. There is no auto industry in the rest of the state.
This isn't actually the case. The auto industries influence can be felt all over Michigan. Even one intersection unincorporated hamlets in the UP have some kind of tier 4/5 dirt floor shop that supplies components to the tier one's and twos. Grand Rapids has probably the healthiest manufacturing sector among metros over 1 millions and the dirty little secret is that it's majority automotive. The same is true in Kzoo, and even as far north as Traverse City/Petoskey. The difference between SE Michigand the rest of the state is that the union presence isn't nearly as dominant, and the firms are much smaller and diversified. So when automotive goes into a down cycle outstate isn't nearly as impacted as SE MI. They are still supplying to Aerospace, medical, electronics, etc.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
This isn't actually the case. The auto industries influence can be felt all over Michigan. Even one intersection unincorporated hamlets in the UP have some kind of tier 4/5 dirt floor shop that supplies components to the tier one's and twos. Grand Rapids has probably the healthiest manufacturing sector among metros over 1 millions and the dirty little secret is that it's majority automotive. The same is true in Kzoo, and even as far north as Traverse City/Petoskey. The difference between SE Michigand the rest of the state is that the union presence isn't nearly as dominant, and the firms are much smaller and diversified. So when automotive goes into a down cycle outstate isn't nearly as impacted as SE MI. They are still supplying to Aerospace, medical, electronics, etc.

The lack of jobs, and especially auto-related jobs, is what keep many Detroiters from moving to northern Michigan.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:22 AM

257 posts, read 160,256 times
Quote:
There is most definitely an auto industry presence all over the state, or more specifically the western parts of the lower peninsula. There might not be much of the Big 3 presence on the west side of the state but as mentioned above, there are many, many auto part suppliers.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The lack of jobs, and especially auto-related jobs, is what keep many Detroiters from moving to northern Michigan.
Automotive is more than than just the big 3. Even then the factories we are talking about have been there for decades in most cases. These jobs aren’t new at all. People in small towns work at the same job for life, I can’t imagine there would be a whole lot of jobs for metro detroiters. Besides that doesn’t matter, almost every metro detroiter I know works in some type of white collar, administrative or corporate roll anyway.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Besides that doesn’t matter, almost every metro detroiter I know works in some type of white collar, administrative or corporate roll anyway.
False.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Automotive is more than than just the big 3. Even then the factories we are talking about have been there for decades in most cases. These jobs aren’t new at all. People in small towns work at the same job for life
Most of that factory work has gone to Mexico and China.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Most of that factory work has gone to Mexico and China.
I don't know what to tell you. I manage the supply base for a tier one automotive supplier in Grand Haven. More than half of my job for the last 5 years has been to travel to suppliers inthese podunk towns across Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin. I can promise you these small firms still exist throughout the Midwest in plenty, and yes they do in fact build automotive components, among other things.

Last edited by mjlo; 10-17-2019 at 11:26 AM..

Old 10-17-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
False.
You know the metro Detroiters I know??

Old 10-17-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
You know the metro Detroiters I know??
I know many Detroiters with blue collar jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.