Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2021, 11:59 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,494,151 times

Advertisements

I moved to the Bay Area from NJ about more than a year ago and I realized I prefer East Coast weather better. I know a lot of East Coasters will say it is because the weather was more dynamic weather back East but that is not my reason. I prefer stagnant weather, but it must be my favorite type of weather for me to like it.

I realized I do not like like the weather out West, but don't get me wrong, the scenery in the western half of the country is much more beautiful than anything back East, but the East Coast has beautiful scenery too except that NJ scenery was my least favorite. I prefer humid weather over dry weather. Dry weather makes me uncomfortable. I feel dead, bags under eyes, occasional stomach cramps, can go under the sun for a minute without sunscreen, etc. Humidity only gives me headaches, which is nothing. I love humidity. I loved it since I was born. I love the soft and exotic feeling it gives off and plus the a/c feels baby soft in the house. I spent more time outdoors in NJ than I do here in CA.

California is always hot. In the winter, whenever the weather is 65 degrees, it feels like 80 degrees and I don't agree that humidity makes things feel hotter. California weather is so overrated and not even perfect. It is always hotter than the written temperature. A 65 degree in NJ felt a lot more comfortable and actually felt like 65 degrees.

Cars in California get hot like an oven. Cars get hot once the weather says it is 60+ degrees outside. In NJ, a car never felt like that at that temperature.

I visited NJ this May when it was hot and humid and I felt much better in the humid weather. I am listening to old songs remembering my life in NJ and remembering the feeling and smell of humidity when riding in a car with the windows down. When I visited NJ, I realized how being inside a hot car over there is much more comfortable than me baking in a car in CA. I felt more energetic and less lazy when it was so humid outside.

The only issue I do have with huimdity is that humidity is SOMETIMES uncomfortable depending on the location. There is this one arboretum I hate going to, because the humidity and the smell of the flowers and woods make me feel so uncomfortable.

Humidity gives me rain and trees, though I think the desert is really beautiful. I miss my rainstorms and I am tired of being in a place where people pay lots of money to live in a severe drought area.

Anyone else move to the West and have this experience and decided to move back East?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 07:38 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
I agree with most of what you said; however, I had a different experience than you with CA winters. The 65 degree day you referenced could feel more like 45 degrees to me—not 80–on some days with a cold chill coming off the bay (SF and SD) that cuts right through you. A 3-4 day Santa Ana (when it warms up) was the exception, not the norm.

I have no issue with humidity provided one lives in an area where you receive coastal breezes. The worst days for me are when there is no breeze and no clouds in the sky. Fortunately, I have found those days to be limited to 30 days total during a year here in Miami, usually lasting no more than 2-3 days consecutively spread over 5 months.

My skin also stays more moisturized with humidity—I used to dread the December through March winters in CA where the dry conditions would have me scratching my arms and legs, requiring body moisturizer.

I also cannot recall too many dehydration headaches in a humid environment with them being more likely in a dry environment.

Depending on time of year, San Diego could have the warmest 65 degrees I ever felt (spring) and the coldest 65 degrees I ever felt (winter).

No concern about my cigars drying out with humidity (that’s what humidors are for, though they won’t unravel if I leave one out of a humidor for a few hours). I’ve also noticed less women who suffer from premature aging (or, those with damaged facial skin from being out in the sun too long) in humid environments.

I moved back East for many other reasons besides weather though I do agree the CA weather was not as perfect as locals made it out to be. Not awful, mind you, but not “perfect” throughout good portions of the year as many claim. The following is a 30+ year old dandy article but still rings true:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...ml%3f_amp=true

Miami was supposed to be some hell hole, similar to the Forbidden Zone from the original Planet of the Apes—that, too, I have found to be overblown as the weather (coastal area anyways) is an asset to me, not a detriment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I moved to the Bay Area from NJ about more than a year ago and I realized I prefer East Coast weather better. I know a lot of East Coasters will say it is because the weather was more dynamic weather back East but that is not my reason. I prefer stagnant weather, but it must be my favorite type of weather for me to like it.

I realized I do not like like the weather out West, but don't get me wrong, the scenery in the western half of the country is much more beautiful than anything back East, but the East Coast has beautiful scenery too except that NJ scenery was my least favorite. I prefer humid weather over dry weather. Dry weather makes me uncomfortable. I feel dead, bags under eyes, occasional stomach cramps, can go under the sun for a minute without sunscreen, etc. Humidity only gives me headaches, which is nothing. I love humidity. I loved it since I was born. I love the soft and exotic feeling it gives off and plus the a/c feels baby soft in the house. I spent more time outdoors in NJ than I do here in CA.

California is always hot. In the winter, whenever the weather is 65 degrees, it feels like 80 degrees and I don't agree that humidity makes things feel hotter. California weather is so overrated and not even perfect. It is always hotter than the written temperature. A 65 degree in NJ felt a lot more comfortable and actually felt like 65 degrees.

Cars in California get hot like an oven. Cars get hot once the weather says it is 60+ degrees outside. In NJ, a car never felt like that at that temperature.

I visited NJ this May when it was hot and humid and I felt much better in the humid weather. I am listening to old songs remembering my life in NJ and remembering the feeling and smell of humidity when riding in a car with the windows down. When I visited NJ, I realized how being inside a hot car over there is much more comfortable than me baking in a car in CA. I felt more energetic and less lazy when it was so humid outside.

The only issue I do have with huimdity is that humidity is SOMETIMES uncomfortable depending on the location. There is this one arboretum I hate going to, because the humidity and the smell of the flowers and woods make me feel so uncomfortable.

Humidity gives me rain and trees, though I think the desert is really beautiful. I miss my rainstorms and I am tired of being in a place where people pay lots of money to live in a severe drought area.

Anyone else move to the West and have this experience and decided to move back East?

Last edited by elchevere; 10-04-2021 at 08:49 AM..

Old 10-04-2021, 07:45 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
I'm actually a west coast native, but prefer the humidity of the east coast. While many say the opposite, my lungs feel much, much better in a warm humid climate.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:04 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
We're certainly all different.
Not a fan of humidity. Low to moderate amounts are okay as long as the temps are below 70°.
Not sure about the hot car situation or the general feeling of being hotter all the time. Less haze, more intense sun? Some posters talk about a 'sun angle' though personally I've never paid much attention.
I'm originally from the extremely humid southeast where cars are blazing hot to the touch in the summer. Don't remember the desert out west being drastically different unless if we were talking about Phoenix. Always amazes me to see Arizona plates on black cars. Can't even fathom...

I like green grass and trees but I also prefer dry to be out in, so I settle on cooler climates where the humidity isn't as draining.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:35 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
I lived in the Upper Midwest until 5th grade. Moved to Colorado and stayed here through college. Moved to Texas and spent 12 years dealing with the wretchedly hot, humid climate of DFW. Moved back to Colorado in 2011. You couldn't pay me enough to live east of the 100th Meridian - especially in the southeast.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:37 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Yep, everyone is different.

I prefer lower humidity. One major benefit with low humidity is one can cool down easily under a shaded area.

I've been in 90+ degree weather and just by sitting under a tree it's instant relief.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:44 AM

26,415 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
We're certainly all different.
Not a fan of humidity. Low to moderate amounts are okay as long as the temps are below 70°.
Not sure about the hot car situation or the general feeling of being hotter all the time. Less haze, more intense sun? Some posters talk about a 'sun angle' though personally I've never paid much attention.
I'm originally from the extremely humid southeast where cars are blazing hot to the touch in the summer. Don't remember the desert out west being drastically different unless if we were talking about Phoenix. Always amazes me to see Arizona plates on black cars. Can't even fathom...

I like green grass and trees but I also prefer dry to be out in, so I settle on cooler climates where the humidity isn't as draining.
Sun angle corresponds to latitude. The easy way to think of it as the sun being more directly overhead in the sky at a greater declination angle for many more months of the year at lower latitudes compared to higher latitudes. With a warming climate, low latitude areas that are drier, become drier at faster rates because hotter temperatures with a very high sun angle bake more soil moisture out of the ground at a greater rate, (many areas of the southwestern US). Lower latitude areas also have a more gradual seasonal change in daylight, less four distinct seasons- compared to higher latitude areas.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:46 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
I feel like an egg frying in the Sun when I’m in SoCal. No cloud cover, direct Uv rays, the desert life is not my cup of tea. Give me clouds, give me humidity, give me shade, and give me air conditioning.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:29 AM

1,320 posts, read 868,789 times
I don't know why people talk about the weather out west as if it's the same all over. The western US is very climatically diverse, especially compared to the largely homogeneous eastern US. You can find places with precipitation varying from 5 inches to 180 inches, altitudes varying from sea level to 10,000 ft, 4 season climates, hot desert climates, cold desert climates, temperate rainforests, etc... There's no one size fits all. Even within the bay area, there are several microclimates.

What I will say in regards to the heat is that the ONLY places that I would willingly live without AC in the US are all west of the Rockies.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:53 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
What makes you think the East Coast is homogeneous?….we have flat areas, mountainous areas, inland areas, coastal areas, etc. The northeast is climatically different from the southeast and many states, including NY and FL (and others), have different microclimates within their own state; some within their own MSA. We don’t have deserts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I don't know why people talk about the weather out west as if it's the same all over. The western US is very climatically diverse, especially compared to the largely homogeneous eastern US. You can find places with precipitation varying from 5 inches to 180 inches, altitudes varying from sea level to 10,000 ft, 4 season climates, hot desert climates, cold desert climates, temperate rainforests, etc... There's no one size fits all. Even within the bay area, there are several microclimates.

What I will say in regards to the heat is that the ONLY places that I would willingly live without AC in the US are all west of the Rockies.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-04-2021 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.