Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 10:24 AM

828 posts, read 691,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I agree with most of what you said; however, I had a different experience than you with CA winters. The 65 degree day you referenced could feel more like 45 degrees to me—not 80–on some days with a cold chill coming off the bay (SF and SD) that cuts right through you. A 3-4 day Santa Ana (when it warms up) was the exception, not the norm.

I have no issue with humidity provided one lives in an area where you receive coastal breezes. The worst days for me are when there is no breeze and no clouds in the sky. Fortunately, I have found those days to be limited to 30 days total during a year here in Miami, usually lasting no more than 2-3 days consecutively spread over 5 months.

My skin also stays more moisturized with humidity—I used to dread the December through March winters in CA where the dry conditions would have me scratching my arms and legs, requiring body moisturizer.

I also cannot recall too many dehydration headaches in a humid environment with them being more likely in a dry environment.

Depending on time of year, San Diego could have the warmest 65 degrees I ever felt (spring) and the coldest 65 degrees I ever felt (winter).

No concern about my cigars drying out with humidity (that’s what humidors are for, though they won’t unravel if I leave one out of a humidor for a few hours). I’ve also noticed less women who suffer from premature aging (or, those with damaged facial skin from being out in the sun too long) in humid environments.

I moved back East for many other reasons besides weather though I do agree the CA weather was not as perfect as locals made it out to be. Not awful, mind you, but not “perfect” throughout good portions of the year as many claim. The following is a 30+ year old dandy article but still rings true:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...ml%3f_amp=true

Miami was supposed to be some hell hole, similar to the Forbidden Zone from the original Planet of the Apes—that, too, I have found to be overblown as the weather (coastal area anyways) is an asset to me, not a detriment.
This^^. Los Angeles had some of the chilliest feeling 62 degree days that I've ever felt. I also prefer the weather on the east coast. CA weather is over rated and hyped up. Most of June was 63 degrees and cloudy by the beach and then 85 and sweltering 2 miles inland. Although once in a while an amazing 75 degree day with not a cloud in the sky in mid January would make me forget all the chilly days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 12:01 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
One thing I like about California is how its brown in the summer, green in the winter. Winter scenery is green and lively. The brown dead grass of winter in the NE is incredibly depressing, especially when surrounded by brown snow piles. I grew up in New England and always wanted to make winter postcards of the massive brown snow piles against the light posts in strip mall parking lots. That's much more a reality of living there than the quaint farm house with a snow covered lawn. Average New Englander is far more likely to go to the brown snow pile covered Natick Mall parking lot than a cute farmhouse in the middle of nowhere.
New England has far more coniferous trees for winter greenery compared to a number of other regions of the country. It is in no way similar to the dead brown uninteresting winter landscape that a good chunk of the Midwest has most of the winter these days south of the Snow Belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.