Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 09:13 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
NYC, LA, Chicago, San Francisco, Oakland, Philadelphia, DC, Milwaukee, Buffalo, and Rochester aren't liberal?
Rochester is only 35% white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I certainly don't perceive Minneapolis, Seattle or Denver to be uber-liberal, either, absolutely not more than any other large city mentioned with larger minority populations.

Denver still carries a lot of that interior western Libertarian tradition and Minneapolis is still tempered by midwestern traditionalism to some degree. Seattle has to kowtow to one of the largest corporate behemoths on the planet, not exactly a hallmark of liberalism.

Portland is likely the only city to stand out here, although I can't say it's a shining example to highlight the benefits of progressivism right now.
You are stereotyping here. Hennepin County (where Minneapolis is located) went 72% for Biden in 2020 (Also, St Paul went 73% for Biden). Both cities are more-to-much more Democratic than the burbs in their counties.

Old 07-16-2023, 07:39 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Rochester is only 35% white.
It appears predominantly white mean less black than Detroit

Old 07-17-2023, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It appears predominantly white mean less black than Detroit
Yes, less Black than Detroit. There are more than 2 racial groups in Rochester.

Old 07-18-2023, 02:40 AM

297 posts, read 244,880 times
Default Sorry, and to clarifly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveareeno5 View Post
white, non-hispanic, not asian. Are their any over 100K population?
I was thinking like 70% and above white.
Census often groups hispanics as white, I meant like N. European or similar whites.
By liberal I was thinking social welfare policies, such as Minneapolis had with their large Scandanavian population. Some surprises for me like Charleston, S.C.

Old 07-18-2023, 01:18 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Charleston

73.5% white

Mayor a Democrat

City proper pop. 153,672 (2022 Census Bureau estimate) votes blue reliably

Conservation innovation

80 out of 100 for LGBTQ rights and livability despite being one of very few blue islands in a deep red lake
I spent 8 days in Charleston last year. That place is not liberal. At least not in the historic area where all the restaurants are. In fact we even commented at how there weren't even people of color WORKING in the restaurants. And two of our Uber drivers had Let's Go Brandon blankets in the backseat. And there were a few stores with all their anti-woke paraphernalia for sale.

I'd never been in a more "elite whites" place in my life. Those voting Democrat there are probably remembering the Democrats of the 1800s.

Old 07-18-2023, 04:27 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
^I spent a few days at a friend rental near Charleston in one of the gentrified sea islands.

It was very **not liberal** and felt like a plantation in some ways. Super white elite is one thing but set in a major slave port and knowing they are actively taking land away from Gullah people without a care in the world?

In the knee faux colonial shopped had 100% white staff and customers. A white man came up to me and a friend sitting by a dock and wanted to know where we were from, how old we were and began giving us life lessons and talking about racial color blindness.. I guess you could call that polite? Felt intrusive and inquisitive too.

And It's just felt conservative.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:25 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I spent 8 days in Charleston last year. That place is not liberal. At least not in the historic area where all the restaurants are. In fact we even commented at how there weren't even people of color WORKING in the restaurants. And two of our Uber drivers had Let's Go Brandon blankets in the backseat. And there were a few stores with all their anti-woke paraphernalia for sale.

I'd never been in a more "elite whites" place in my life. Those voting Democrat there are probably remembering the Democrats of the 1800s.
Charleston didn't feel that 'elite white' to me, at least not in the way Berkeley, Boulder or even Savannah did. I do agree with you that it didn't feel that liberal.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:36 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
^I spent a few days at a friend rental near Charleston in one of the gentrified sea islands.

It was very **not liberal** and felt like a plantation in some ways. Super white elite is one thing but set in a major slave port and knowing they are actively taking land away from Gullah people without a care in the world?

In the knee faux colonial shopped had 100% white staff and customers. A white man came up to me and a friend sitting by a dock and wanted to know where we were from, how old we were and began giving us life lessons and talking about racial color blindness.. I guess you could call that polite? Felt intrusive and inquisitive too.

And It's just felt conservative.
We did the Boone Plantation tour. There were maybe 100 people on the tour at the same time.

3 black people. I expected more.

Also, north of the downtown area, there is a highly black neighborhood - light years different from where the tourists go. And one of our Uber drivers described how ALL the white kids go to private school, and the public schools are almost exclusively black. It's two totally different worlds down there, and 3-4 families who settled there in the 1600s still have a lot of control.

Old 07-19-2023, 01:35 PM

208 posts, read 145,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The state doesn't, but the city does, and it's a reaction to the growth in high-paying tech jobs, which the progressives blame for a lot of the city's ills.
Source? I find nothing about Seattle having an income tax. WA state has 2 W-2 income taxes that total to over 1%, paid leave and long term disability insurance, with the latter being a marginal income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.