Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 12:52 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
And your goal is to impress them to the point of where they would want to move to your locale. Sure, you'd show them touristy stuff (Disneyworld if you live in Orlando, etc). What would you do?

This can be for young single person or a family of four? They're looking for a new place to live and part of that would involve having fun. What would you show/do?

I'll be back with mine in a bit.
This is where Long Island shines, especially in the summer. One of my biggest complaints about living here is it is overcrowded but it is overcrowded for a reason.

First is obvious, good access to New York City, one of the world's great cities and all that if offers. From where I am in Babylon (western Suffolk) I can be in Manhattan in an hour.

Then there is the beaches. 100 miles of ocean beaches from Bay Ridge to Montauk and then you have lesser beaches on bays and the Sound. Babylon has 5 town beaches and there are two state parks with beaches in the town, Robert Moses on Fire Island and Gilgo Beach on Jones Island. https://www.fireislandlighthouse.com/ The Fire Island Light House is about a mile walk from Robert Moses State Park.

Being a wealthy suburban area, Long Island has its share of shopping and restaurants. But you also have things that you do not always see in suburban areas:

--- 50+ wineries
--- Long Island Aquarium
--- the Hamptons
--- Fire Island National Seashore
--- Montauk Point and Light House
--- Whale watching and seal watching tours
--- Ocean fishing / party boats
--- 100+ golf courses (including several on the PGA tour)
--- Long Island Game Farm / Childrens Zoo
--- Huntington, Babylon, Sayville, Patchogue, Port Jefferson, Sag Harbor villages etc. (downtown and historic areas)
--- U pick farms (apple and pumpkin)
--- Splish Splash water park
--- numerous historic landmarks, buildings and mansions 1600 to early 1900s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 01:18 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
New York City (Manhattan)
I have given tours before, though less than 1 week. I generally group the following activities, could be in any order...

1. Tour of my general neighborhood, bars, food, parks, etc.

2. Empire State Building, Public Library (42nd Street), 5th Ave, Rockefeller Center, Central Park.

3. Walk the high-line, tour of Chelsea, Meatpacking, West Village (could be 2 days).

4. Staten Island Ferry (great views), Brooklyn Bridge, 9/11 Memorial, Wall Street, Chinatown, Soho. (could also be 2 days).

5. Broadway show / Times Square

6. Potentially a museum or an observation deck if my guest enjoys them.

7. Free day to have fun and wander!

(And of course eating and drinking all along the way).

I've also given tours of Philadelphia for my friends & boyfriend, usually for 3 days. A lot to do, tough a week is a long time (a long time for most places).

1. Rittenhouse Square, Fitler Square, Schuylkill River Trail to Art Museum, BF Parkway, City Hall.

2. Washington Square, Independence Hall & historic sites, Society Hill, Old City, Reading Terminal Market, wander around Center City and enjoy good food (and a cheese steak), a museum if my guest enjoys them.

3. Northern Liberties / Fishtown, mostly for food and drink.

4. 30th Street Station & University City. I am Drexel alum, so I enjoy revisiting the campus and U Penn next door (this could be a half-day mixed with something above).

(I also love Philly food tours, so much good food and the tight historic gridded streets are more manageable to explore compared to New York.

Last edited by cpomp; 12-14-2023 at 01:33 PM..

Old 12-14-2023, 01:34 PM

513 posts, read 253,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
Chicago?
Not everyone likes this, but...
Probably the bar hopping scene. The food. The different neighborhoods and how they're all unique and extremely different than one another.
If no touristy stuff.
Touristy stuff works too. You have the best Starbucks in the world and I could absolutely spend a day there.

Purpose of this exercise is to see a) how exciting your area can be and/or b) what makes it different

Old 12-14-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
New York City (Manhattan)
I have given tours before, though less than 1 week. I generally group the following activities, could be in any order...

1. Tour of my general neighborhood, bars, food, parks, etc.

2. Empire State Building, Public Library (42nd Street), 5th Ave, Rockefeller Center, Central Park.

3. Walk the high-line, tour of Chelsea, Meatpacking, West Village (could be 2 days).

4. Staten Island Ferry (great views), Brooklyn Bridge, 9/11 Memorial, Wall Street, Chinatown, Soho. (could also be 2 days).

5. Broadway show / Times Square

6. Potentially a museum or an observation deck if my guest enjoys them.

7. Free day to have fun and wander!

(And of course eating and drinking all along the way).

I've also given tours of Philadelphia for my friends & boyfriend, usually for 3 days. A lot to do, tough a week is a long time (a long time for most places).

1. Rittenhouse Square, Fitler Square, Schuylkill River Trail to Art Museum, BF Parkway, City Hall.

2. Washington Square, Independence Hall & historic sites, Society Hill, Old City, Reading Terminal Market, wander around Center City and enjoy good food (and a cheese steak), a museum if my guest enjoys them.

3. Northern Liberties / Fishtown, mostly for food and drink.

4. 30th Street Station & University City. I am Drexel alum, so I enjoy revisiting the campus and U Penn next door (this could be a half-day mixed with something above).

(I also love Philly food tours, so much good food and the tight historic gridded streets are more manageable to explore compared to New York.
Yes. 4 day weekend would be easy to fill in most areas. A full week is a bit tougher.

Old 12-14-2023, 02:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
It would be nice for my London-area nephews to think about living in Seattle. We'll never impress them with general urbanity, museums, pop-culture impact, multiculturalism, the ability to take a train freaking everywhere, nightlife, or access to healthcare. But they seem to like our water, forests, and mountains. Oh, and the Museum of Flight. And perhaps economic opportunity. They tend to be impressed with in-city places like the Pike Place Market, Ballard Locks, UW, and Capitol Hill.

Last edited by mhays25; 12-14-2023 at 02:55 PM..

Old 12-15-2023, 08:18 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
And your goal is to impress them to the point of where they would want to move to your locale. Sure, you'd show them touristy stuff (Disneyworld if you live in Orlando, etc). What would you do?

This can be for young single person or a family of four? They're looking for a new place to live and part of that would involve having fun. What would you show/do?

I would not show them the touristy stuff. I would show them or tell them about points of interest and amenities that locals enjoy and are more likely to do in their everyday lives.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It would be nice for my London-area nephews to think about living in Seattle. We'll never impress them with general urbanity, museums, pop-culture impact, multiculturalism, the ability to take a train freaking everywhere, nightlife, or access to healthcare. But they seem to like our water, forests, and mountains. Oh, and the Museum of Flight. And perhaps economic opportunity. They tend to be impressed with in-city places like the Pike Place Market, Ballard Locks, UW, and Capitol Hill.
Hard to beat London for urbanity.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:27 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:

Having just finished a Brit thread, I am picturing my friend Nicholas from England and I want to impress him to move here? Take him to the gun range/store.

BUT, it is a serious question to what kind of world they come from......to say nothing about politics. As I have often said, I picture the kids of the family of the next generation or so visiting the ranch.....and mentally starving since I don't have unlimited wireless Internet.

The ideal life for me, the peace of the country, may not be for them and further, maybe I don't want them to move here and disrupt what I have.

Finally, Disneyworld?????? To impress them?

Old 12-15-2023, 10:11 AM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
Some Europeans are fascinated by the gun thing, but in general I've heard more be scared and appalled than attracted.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Having just finished a Brit thread, I am picturing my friend Nicholas from England and I want to impress him to move here? Take him to the gun range/store.

BUT, it is a serious question to what kind of world they come from......to say nothing about politics. As I have often said, I picture the kids of the family of the next generation or so visiting the ranch.....and mentally starving since I don't have unlimited wireless Internet.

The ideal life for me, the peace of the country, may not be for them and further, maybe I don't want them to move here and disrupt what I have.

Finally, Disneyworld?????? To impress them?
So obviously not everyone loves Disney or theme parks, but it is a thing to do right? It does absolutely depend, but that's why I gave the family or singles option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.