Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wal-Mart or Target?
Target 90 67.67%
Wal-Mart 25 18.80%
Neither, I hate corporate America! 18 13.53%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:44 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 07:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,686 times
I like Target better, but spend most of my money at Wal-mart because its located where I live. The closest Target is 50 miles away.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:05 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times
SuperTarget. They take checks.

In all seriousness, they just have really good choices and low prices, and there's a location across from my apartment.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:15 PM

167 posts, read 492,424 times
By ideology, neither. But by practice, I'm a hypocrit, because if I really do need or want something at 2am that I can get at either of these places, I will get it. Somehow, I get the impression that this is the case for many people...

Old 07-09-2008, 07:15 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,011 times
TARGET!!! I work there(although my over the top opinions do not reflect the views of Target corporation) and love it, and I've seen too much terrible Wal-Mart policy to ever consider shopping there and supporting them. here's what I posted on another forum on this same issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29
I work at Target
(But do not speak for them or represent them in any way)
and I have not and will not shop at Wal-Mart. Ever.
I'm proud to work for such a corporately responsible corporation. Occasionally things can get lax on the local level, but in terms of Overall policy and training, Target does a lot.

PROS TARGET:
Target was named most charitable company in 2007 at which time it gave 2% of all profits to charities, and gives 5% of profit total to communities in which it serves, supporting local events and field trips. 1 in 25 students will benefit from a Target sponsored field trip this year. And through their credit card or check card, 1% of all sales with the card go toward the school of the user's choice. That adds up. Over the years, Central High has gained over $20,000 through this program.
Target also has gone green in the last few years, using green building materials, selling reuse-able bags, and shutting off the lights in their stores an hour after close when the employees leave after cleaning up.
They have come up with innovative designs from sticker handles for paper towel 12 packs, to color-coded prescription bottles with flat sides for easy reading.
Target is also very security conscious, their Assets Protection(security) team has helped all levels of law enforcement and has even helped clinch murder cases with no relation to the stores.
Target is generally clean with many friendly people to help you, and yes, they do come up and ask, "can I help you find something."
Target will never pay it's CEO more than 14 times more than it's least paid full-time worker.
Target also treats it's employees well. It has maintained above minimum wage starting salaries, and gives prizes to employees who do their job exceptionally.
-on a personal level, I have worked there for 2 years, and on a daily basis co workers smile and ask me how I'm doing, in a genuinely caring manner, including the executives. I love Target for the place that it is and would continue to do so after I leave.-
Target has 9 stores in the Omaha area, giving Omaha the most Target stores per-capita in the nation, and the city was also home the first Super Target store.

Target maintains low prices, but just high enough to provide all of this
CONS TARGET:
Not as cheap as Wal-Mart
Not open 24 hours

PROS WAL-MART:
Wal-Mart gave 1 percent of it's income to charities in 2007.
Wal-Mart is the country's largest employer.
Wal-Mart helps the community occasionally.
low prices.

CONS WAL-MART:
Wal-Marts are crime magnets and law enforcement receive many calls to those properties on a routine basis.
Wal-Mart executives are some of the richest people in the country.
Wal-Mart is in some cases a beneficiary in the death of it's employees.
Wal-Mart is touted as being the ring-leader behind the move of American Industry overseas, essentially making the US dependent on other countries.
Wal-Mart is known for:
Poor employee treatment
poor training
poorly kept stores

I think there is a big difference between honest business and what Wal-Mart pulls off. A lot of the time what they do is legal thanks to a healthy team of lawyers who can write up a mean health care policy, but it doesn't mean it's morally acceptable.

last time I heard of Target doing something people didn't care for was when they barred the Salvation Army from ringing Santas during Christmas. This however, was in fairness to Target's no solicitation policy so there weren't any exceptions. Target does however give millions of dollars a year out of it's own pocket to this organization.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
I spent 5 and half years of my life working at Target; what a great company to work for!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:37 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,234 times
Target stores are generally cleaner, less crowded and annoying, and their prices are just as low. I've lived in and been to several different places that have both stores, and this seems to be the situation across the board. I've heard from other people on this forum that Target stores can be pretty bad in some places, though. Wal-Mart is bad everywhere.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
I by no means hate corporate America, but can not stand Walfarts's third world like corporate practices. Target at least maintains its stores and treats its employees fairly well.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/12/14/122225/59

Old 07-09-2008, 08:42 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,747 times
I try to avoid both due to their practices of putting mom and pop stores out of business. Especially Wal-mart, which comes in at #4 on my axis of evil list Unfortunately there are times when money overrides ideology (i'm an actor=starving artist). In that case, even though I consider Wal-mart a far greater evil entity than Target, I will pick up what I need there over Target as I have found that Wal-Mart is generally cheaper than Target.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:18 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
I don't patronize either. It's not so much because of ideology, but they aren't convenient for me. There is a Target in Newport, which is two subway stops away, but there's nothing Target has that I can't get at CH Martin, Duane Reade, or the other smaller shops in my own neighborhood. I have no idea where the nearest Wal-Mart is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.