Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Prettiest Region in America
Pacific Northwest -AK, OR, WA 44 22.11%
California 33 16.58%
Mountain - CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY 17 8.54%
Southwest - AZ, NM 11 5.53%
Central - ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX, IA, MO, AR, LA 8 4.02%
The Great Lakes - WI, IL, MI, IN, OH 18 9.05%
Southeast - KY, TN, MS, AL, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, MD, DE 23 11.56%
Northeast - NY, PA, NJ, VT, MA, CT, NH, RI, ME 38 19.10%
Hawaii 7 3.52%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:59 PM

86 posts, read 341,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
CA!!!!

The state is so diverse. We have practically every type of natural disaster, earthquake, fires, tornados, floods.

We have mountains, canyons, forest, volcanos, deserts.

It also snows in CA, which many don't realize.

There is also plenty of farmland

The Golden State wins hands down. I'll vote the PNW second.

whoaaaaa homie lol, washington and oregon have those too.
but washington also has the hoh rainforest which is the only rainforest in the continental 48 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 12:18 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyn View Post
whoaaaaa homie lol, washington and oregon have those too.
but washington also has the hoh rainforest which is the only rainforest in the continental 48 states.
The hoh, while certainly impressive, isn't the only rainforest in the lower 48. Oregon and Northern California both feature temperate rain forests on their coasts, and there are some sections of temperate rainforest in the Appalachian mountains.

Now, Washington and Oregon do not have anything to compare with Death Valley, which, depending on who you talk to, is the hottest or second hottest place on Earth. They also have nothing that can compete with Avalon (Catalina Island) in terms of laid back Mediterranean feel.

Don't get me wrong, I love Oregon and Washington, and the Pacific Northwest is flat gorgeous, but there isn't a state in the Union that can match California in terms of geographic/geologic diversity.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:27 AM

86 posts, read 341,226 times
catalina is very pretty and its a fun weekend getaway.
but washington also has the san juan islands.
anddddd i know we dont have death valley but we have dry falls
which if it was still going it would be the worlds largest waterfall
but now its basically like the grand canyon of the northwest but when i was there for a soccer tournament it was around 115 everyday we were there. i know its not death valley but its pretty close lol. i just think that california, oregon and washington should be together and alaska should just be its own [the north pacific].

Old 11-28-2008, 02:31 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyn View Post
catalina is very pretty and its a fun weekend getaway.
but washington also has the san juan islands.
I love the San Juan Islands, especially Friday Harbor, but they are very different then the Channel Islands. One of my favorite childhood memories is riding the Washington State Ferry through the San Juan's as the fog rolled down the valleys on Orcas Island.

Quote:
anddddd i know we dont have death valley but we have dry falls
which if it was still going it would be the worlds largest waterfall
but now its basically like the grand canyon of the northwest but when i was there for a soccer tournament it was around 115 everyday we were there. i know its not death valley but its pretty close lol.
115 is warm (and quite a bit warmer than where I live), but Death Valley has hit 134! I would love, however, to see Dry Falls, simply from the point of view of an amateur geologist. It's got quite a story to tell, and just imagining all of that water rolling down those cliffs is mind-boggling.

Quote:
i just think that california, oregon and washington should be together and alaska should just be its own [the north pacific].
I agree that California, Oregon, and Washington have a lot in common. Especially if you divide Nor-Cal and So-Cal. Northern California is very much a part of the Pacific Northwest, as we have rainforests, the Cascades, the beautiful (if cold) Pacific Ocean, and the Cascadia Subduction Zone. Really, the Sierra Nevada should be considered a Pacific Northwest mountain range, as we have the characteristicly high precipitation on western slope and dry eastern slope.

Long live the Pacific Northwest!

Old 11-28-2008, 03:14 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,225,839 times
Alaska was lumped into the PNW, so therefore, the PNW wins by default. LOL.

Look, people vote for their favorite based mainly on a personal opinion of aesthetics.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:13 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
I couldn't really vote. I think southern Nevada was beautiful, which is probably similar to what CA looks like too. But, in this poll they're listed as different votes. I haven't been to the other states listed with Nevada in this thread, so that's another reason why I didn't vote. But overall, I would have to say NY, OR, and NV. Never been to CA, but I imagine it's really pretty too.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:29 AM

16 posts, read 27,144 times
All of California, Arizona, and Southern Florida. P.S. NYC as well.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Hawaii

Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
What region does Minnesota belong to?

Old 07-14-2013, 10:53 AM

623 posts, read 957,488 times
Not sure how the NW isn't blowing this thing away....

Folks define beauty in different ways though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.