Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:48 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times

Advertisements

Getting back to KY - I always thought that Louisville and NKY were more midwestern than the rest of the state. Not to say they are not southern; but more midwestern. Places like Henderson, KY and vastly different from places like Louisville and Newport. Henderson is without question more of a southern town to me; whereas Newport feels less southern and more midwestern IMO.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:30 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Come on up and see what we have! I bet you'll like it! I LOVE Tenneessee myself.
I live in Tennessee, too and I'll be in Kentucky (Cumberland Gap) in October. I've also been in the Covington area, a few times. While I don't think of the state often, when I do think of it, I think of how pretty it is outside of the cities. I also think of horses (I don't ride), bourbon (I don't drink) and the song Bowling Green (Everly Brothers) which says so many nice things about the state. Lyrics:

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/the-everl...ing-green.html

Old 07-28-2008, 10:44 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times
I'm from Georgia, and Kentucky is definitely southern. I've never understood why people would argue that it is not. Sure, it's not as far south as much of the "south", but neither is Virginia. Culturally, Kentucky is southern. Accent: Check, Cuisine: Check, Music: Check.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
I'm from Georgia, and Kentucky is definitely southern. I've never understood why people would argue that it is not. Sure, it's not as far south as much of the "south", but neither is Virginia. Culturally, Kentucky is southern. Accent: Check, Cuisine: Check, Music: Check.
Thank you!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I live in Tennessee, too and I'll be in Kentucky (Cumberland Gap) in October. I've also been in the Covington area, a few times. While I don't think of the state often, when I do think of it, I think of how pretty it is outside of the cities. I also think of horses (I don't ride), bourbon (I don't drink) and the song Bowling Green (Everly Brothers) which says so many nice things about the state. Lyrics:

The Everly Brothers - Bowling Green Lyrics
Thank you for sharing the song!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
As well as Southern, is how you consider it. I think this has been covered many times, you can say Kentucky is Southern with Midwestern influences or Midwestern with Southern influences, it's all a matter of perspective and what part of Kentucky you are in.

Geographically anything South of the Mason-Dixon line is Southern, that includes Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, even Missouri Oklahoma and Florida. Historically we speak of Southern as the confederacy which did not include West Virginia nor Kentucky.

The hardest to define which is subjective is the "cultural" aspect which you are explaining. Today Florida has become almost a country of its own, Texas can be SouthWestern, Western or Southern, you may be right that the Northern portion of Kentucky is more Midwestern while the rest of Kentucky is more Southern in a cultural feel. It is nonetheless part of the "rust belt" as we know part of the motor industry shifted South into urban Kentucky as well as significant portions of the midwestern population in our "mobile" society.

Unanimously the Southern bloc today "culturally" without debate includes NC, SC, GA, AL, MI, LA, AR, TN. Other states have changed so dramatically in the past 20 years that it is left debatable whether Southern is still "cultural" or simply geography.
Most of Texas has the southern accent, if you want to consider that a culturally southern trait. For example, most people from Odessa eastward along I-20 have southern speech, and a good percentage west to Van Horn have southern speech. El Paso isn't southern in any sense of the word. It's like a Mexico with English signs and less poverty and blight.

From San Antonio southward, it's a bit of a toss-up, considering that the area has become heavily "Mestizo", but whites in the area speak with a noticeable southern flare.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
It sounds to me like you consider only gulf coast states (I guess they are all sunbelt) but it is not only about geography either. It's all about culture and traditions as well.
Georgia and South Carolina are "Gulf Coast States"?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Georgia and South Carolina are "Gulf Coast States"?
Ooops, sorry lol I guess I didn't pay attention to my post. I meant coastal but so is NC. Heck fire, I can't get ryhme or reason out of that person's post.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:07 PM

42 posts, read 109,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Getting back to KY - I always thought that Louisville and NKY were more midwestern than the rest of the state. Not to say they are not southern; but more midwestern. Places like Henderson, KY and vastly different from places like Louisville and Newport. Henderson is without question more of a southern town to me; whereas Newport feels less southern and more midwestern IMO.

I can agree that Henderson is more southern than louisville and newport. I've been to both newport and louisville, and I live in henderson so i can vouche for us.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:10 PM

42 posts, read 109,697 times
Quote:

Could not agree with you more!!! I always knew I liked georgia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.