Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
What does it matter? I think Iowa is nice, but it is not exactly somewhere I would want a vacation home. If someone does not want to consider a vacation home in certain states, what difference does it make? It is an opinion, not really snobbery.
Well, the point was to name a vacation home in all 50 states. However, the poster in question used it as an opportunity to trash various states that he probably only drove through on the Interstate. Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:03 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, the point was to name a vacation home in all 50 states. However, the poster in question used it as an opportunity to trash various states that he probably only drove through on the Interstate. Big difference.
He did not exactly trash all the states, he for the most part said "nowhere," the only exceptions, taken from his post, are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Alabama: are you kidding?
Arkansas: uhh...no way
Indiana: h*ll no
Nebraska: uhh...I don't think so.
These are the only four in which the poster said something other than "nowhere." Now, tell me how this is something worth getting upset about.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Nah. A snob's a snob. I've been to all but four, and never been to a state that didn't have some seriously cool places. Arkansas has Lake Ouachita and the Ozarks, Alabama has Mobile Bay and Mentone, and the list goes on and on.
Well, it's subjective. It's what you like. Not all states are for me though.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
If I had 50 billion in the bank there's no way I'd have 50 homes to have to keep up, even if I could afford "people" to keep them up for me. I'm just not mentally geared that way.

But if I could have homes anywhere, and more than one....

1) Dahlonega, Georgia: Small artsy/craftsy North Georgia mountain town for relaxation.

2) Asheville, North Carolina: Another artsy/craftsy town, but much larger with events and some of the best Autumn leaf viewing short of New England.

3) Vancouver, Canada: Just for the sheer beauty of it and the surrounding area. Ok, it's not one of the 50 states, but it's close enough that I'm going to count it (though they may not like that idea).

4) Beckley, West Virginia: I'm originally from WV, and a home here would give me access to Charleston WV (my home city) and Babcock State Park, which I could spend days at a time in for relaxation and photo opportunities.

5) New York City: I'd have to add a small 2BR flat in Manhattan's Upper East Side as my final pick. I couldn't handle living in NYC full time, but as a "big city getaway" it would be nice to have a place there.

That's it, really. I mean sure, if I had the whole world involved I'd probably add a place in Europe somewhere, but that's it. My billions would mostly be in savings. lol

Old 07-13-2009, 11:17 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
This is too fun of a topic not to give it a try. I'm gonna skip some states doing this, mostly ones where either I don't know much about a state, or am very unsure which section of a state I'd most want to move to. May give additional states a try, in a later post. Enjoy:

Alabama: Dauphin Island, since I've always heard great things about the AL Gulf Coast, and've always liked what I've read/seen about this island, and others along the coast.
Arizona: Flagstaff, since it's much cooler than the central and south parts of the state, served by Amtrak, and is close to the Grand Canyon. also a short drive to Sedona.
Arkansas: not sure, maybe inbetween Fort Smith and Fayetteville? it'd definitely be in the NW part of the state.
Connecticut: a town/suburb not too far away from New Haven. haven't read up enough on surrounding smaller communities yet to know which one I'd want to live in.
Delaware: not sure, but probably somewhere just outside of Bethany Beach, to allow for easy drives to bigger Delmarva communities(i.e. Salisbury, Dover).
Florida: Saint George Island(on the Gulf south of Tallahassee, and has always been my favorite FL beach by far)
Georgia: penthouse or mansion in Atlanta's Buckhead neighborhood
Idaho: somewhere inbetween Sandpoint and Coeur D'Alene
Illinois: Carbondale, since I've always had a thing for this small city. wouldn't mind trying living in a totally different region of Illinois that's completely unlike northern Illinois, and the Chicago area(where I grew up).
Indiana: Broad Ripple neighborhood in Indianapolis
Iowa: Burlington, since I well remember traveling here years ago, and wouldn't mind seeing it make a comeback.
Kansas: Wichita, since while I think it isn't the greatest of cities, the negative reputation of the city is excessively overblown b/c of more than just the national media(and other factors I've done reading on, and won't get into). it'd tickle me if the city ever began to turn a new leaf, and started making some positive progress. guess I'd be like an urban pioneer here
Kentucky: so tough to state an answer(since I like many parts of this state). perhaps Bowling Green, since it's within a day's drive of both Chicago and Atlanta, and easy drive to many different parts of KY. and this will annoy anyone who's anti-smoking, but as a libertarian, I'm proud their city council voted down a smoking ban.
Louisiana: somewhere in NOLA vicinity
Maryland: in the west part of the state, perhaps Cumberland.
Minnesota: Rochester, since I enjoyed this city on a past trip, and it's marginally warmer than other regions of Minnesnowta. also an easy drive to La Crosse, and other river towns(i.e. Winona, Red Wing, etc).
Mississippi: another tough one for me. guess I'd go for outside of Jackson(as I have heard not good things about the city proper, but would be open to changing my mind on that if I read up further on Jackson), so that I'm centrally located in the state, have at least some urban amenities, and not be too far from the Natchez Trace Parkway, and historic Vicksburg. The Mississippi Gulf Coast region, and Hattiesburg also wouldn't be too far away, and could still get to northern MS, if I felt like going there.
Nevada: probably near Las Vegas, so I could get a foreclosed property.
New Hampshire: maybe in the central part of the state, south of the White Mountains?
New Mexico: probably Albuquerque
New York: Buffalo, another city I wouldn't mind seeing make a comeback.
North Carolina: very tough one, as I've gone to many different parts of that state, but I'll narrowly go with Asheville.
Ohio: Cincinnati
Oregon: somewhere along the central part of OR's Pacific coast
Pennsylvania: Pittsburgh
Rhode Island: Providence
South Carolina: Charleston or Myrtle Beach vicinity? all I know is it would be in the Low Country region.
South Dakota: Rapid City, or somewhere in the Black Hills
Tennessee: Nashville area, I like the fact a commuter rail service started just a few years ago(and hope the Atlanta region is one day is inspired by Nashville's new commuter rail system, and starts a system of its own). and I've liked my past trips to Nashville, too.
Texas: Alpine/Marfa, since I've always wondered if that area is as nice, unique, and have never lived in an area so remote. Amtrak even stops in Alpine!
Vermont: hmmm, I suppose near Burlington.
Virginia: Charlottesville, easy drive up to Northern Virginia(without having to worry about that region's notoriously high housing prices, or traffic), in the middle of the state(allowing for easy drives to various regions of VA), and Amtrak access. also have traveled there, and like that city.
Wisconsin: Milwaukee, probably in the neighborhood(sorry I don't know its proper name) inbetween Brady and North Aves. near Lake Michigan. I absolutely love how gorgeous the houses are in that area, and the beach directly to the east of there is nice.

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 07-13-2009 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: removed Missouri, as I realized I dunno for sure where I'd live within MO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.