Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:44 PM
HKB

221 posts, read 802,706 times

Advertisements

Geographical features aside, I've always thought that Minneapolis and Denver are very similar cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 08:02 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
... and yet another potentially interesting thread derails and implodes. I wonder why they don't just rename "General U.S." to the "City Bashfest Free-for-all" forum?
I know, right?
I don't understand why so many people get their undies in a bunch over this stuff.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:23 AM

347 posts, read 1,149,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Girl View Post
Boston and Philadelphia, both rich with American history.
I would agree with that. Also, I would pick Philly anyday over Boston.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:30 PM

124 posts, read 611,600 times
Personally I prefer Boston but I like Philly as well. They've both got food (Philly Cheese steak, Boston Cream Pie), great universities and lovely skylines IMO.

Vancouver, BC and Seattle are ridiculously similar. Both rainy, both by the ocean, both have mountains in the background, rich neighborhoods (Magnolia/West Van.), markets by the ocean (Pike Place/Granville Island), beaches, lots of parks, public transit (monorail/skytrain) etc.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:39 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Every city in this country has another city it can relate to, an "evil twin", if you want to call it. That shows most with Texas and California cities more than anyother.

Like I mentioned before in another post, Cali and Texas are the two biggest rivals in America (arguable, yes?). And every major city in both states relate to eachother in some way. Check it out......

Houston and L.A.
Both: are the largest cities in their respected states, known for a HUGE hispanic population, are notorious for traffic and smog problems, next to a large body of water, has and had a big hip hop scene, has two division I-A schools and the best NBA teams in their respected states.

San Diego and San Antonio
Both: begin with "San", have Sea Worlds, are the "get away" cities for their respected states, in the southern part of the state, and also have a major Hispanic influence.

Dallas and San Francisco
Both: have a major rivalry with the largest cities in their respected states, have 5 time Super Bowl championship teams, had famous tv shows filmed there, in a mega metro area, and have world famous skylines.

San Jose and Austin
Both: are known for technology, very fast growing, and in between hills

Fort Worth and Oakland
Both: have underdeveloped skylines, are overshadowed by their larger... more popular neighboring cities, and are in a mega metro area.

See.

Now what are your cities couter parts?
I will never understand Texans' fascination with trying to be compared with California. Even when I lived in Dallas and Austin back in the 80's and 90's, I used to hear that Austin was just like San Francisco, and Dallas was like L.A. I never saw those similarities, and never understand what the fascination was in trying to be LIKE California - trying too hard in my opinion.

IMO, Austin has more of a mixed feel of cities like Portland, Nashville, and New Orleans yet it is unique, and I see Dallas as just different (NOT like LA - that's neither good nor bad). Texas is a nice place just like California, and the cities in each states have their own personalities, vibes, etc.

I would go so far to say that Phoenix actually has more in common with L.A. than Dallas (perhaps because of the number of Californians that live there now). Yet, even it has a mix of people (Hispanic, Midwestern, East Coast).

I think Texas should just stick to being Texas and forget about trying to be like California - for better or worse.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:42 AM

157 posts, read 316,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Let me guess, you also make $250K a year, are 6'5", live in a 10K sqft home, and have a 12-inch...ahem....

Anonymous internet bragging...it's a beautiful thing...
It's not bragging if it's fact John. Referring back to the original reason for my giving some personal information is that the person impinged my integrity me by saying I was an an insult to West Texas. I then responded with information as to the contrary that most folks in my neck of the woods don't see me as an insult. Just so that you know - I make less than $60k, live in a 1300 square feet home, am 5 foot 10 inches and a little overweight. Any other questions for me John?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 PM

124 posts, read 611,600 times
Green Bay, WI and Duluth, MN.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:03 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I will never understand Texans' fascination with trying to be compared with California. Even when I lived in Dallas and Austin back in the 80's and 90's, I used to hear that Austin was just like San Francisco, and Dallas was like L.A. I never saw those similarities, and never understand what the fascination was in trying to be LIKE California - trying too hard in my opinion.

IMO, Austin has more of a mixed feel of cities like Portland, Nashville, and New Orleans yet it is unique, and I see Dallas as just different (NOT like LA - that's neither good nor bad). Texas is a nice place just like California, and the cities in each states have their own personalities, vibes, etc.

I would go so far to say that Phoenix actually has more in common with L.A. than Dallas (perhaps because of the number of Californians that live there now). Yet, even it has a mix of people (Hispanic, Midwestern, East Coast).

I think Texas should just stick to being Texas and forget about trying to be like California - for better or worse.
Once again..... I'm not saying that Texas cities are trying to be like California cities. I was just making an example between the two states becuase they are the two "big dogs". Alright?

Old 08-26-2008, 02:22 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Once again..... I'm not saying that Texas cities are trying to be like California cities. I was just making an example between the two states becuase they are the two "big dogs". Alright?
You may not being saying that, but I've heard it all too many times to think differently about it. K?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.