Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S lowering the age limit back to 18 for drinking alcohol?
Yes, lower it to 18! 198 60.92%
No, keep it 21 as it is now 112 34.46%
I don't know/care 15 4.62%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:45 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,917,783 times

Advertisements

Since Katiana won't accept messages I reluctantly force myself into a public forum to declare a response and if dared- a denouncement:

Dear Katiana and general public,
I am 20 and legally drink sometimes. I am no way responsable enough to consume alcoho nvermind to operate heavy machinery afterward or deliver birth.

Just to get this clear the mysterious Katiana said to me "Thanks. I thought I'd just let that guy have his rant. Katiana".
Now, until after reading this I was unaware that any guy had had any rant. Since, I have learned that "guy" is one RalphKNS* and I was impressed with the first paragraph and select words of the next two. What I took away from it was that Ralph, like myself, likes middle-aged women who make big cash settelements.
Katiana has throw my hat into this ring of filth and my hair has suffered since. All I needed to say was that drinking neither instills hope nor inspires creativity. It contributes no real chi to the fabric of the world's cloth but when balanced correctly between confidence and restraint the joy of drinking illegally can provoke someone to a grad scheme...of life........clouds...........joy............

*Kunt Nuggett Slipper

EDIT: I have been drinking legally at 20... a study in the "euro-style". I still feel inclined to play 'rut and fight and have unprotected sex on rumpspringa.

Last edited by TheWereRabbit; 08-31-2008 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: deleting edit 2 and 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 07:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
^^^ What the hell was that?

Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 AM

404 posts, read 1,338,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I agree with Gtownoe.

not to mention how unconstitutional the interstate funding blackmail perpetrated by the federal government was.

Or how discriminatory it is for the government to tell a certain portion of the adult population they can't do something everyone else can.

Or how unsuccessful the ban has been keeping 18-20 from drinking and in fact making it more dangerous since they have to do it secretly.
Helmet laws, seatbelt laws, etc whine whine whine. Then, who ends up paying the massive hospital bills when they get injured beyond their means to pay? yes, the society.

It's a burden on society when what they'd claim to be "just their own self" ends up in tax payer absorbing $150,000 medical bill for that "own self".

Who's going to pay for the health care bill for 18-20 year olds alcohol related stupidity? If they're independent they're likely going to be on government programs and burden the society. If they're dependent... oh that's right.. the employment based dependent health care cost is already skyrocketing. So, legalizing drinking for 18-20 year old is a big no, especially if the rest of society have to pay for the expense of their stupidity

Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphKNS View Post
Alright, how about we raise it to 3 years above however old you are now?
I could care less. Like I said, alcohol is fun to drink, but I can just as easily do without it. I don't depend on alcohol for happiness.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
What you do or don't personally depend on for your happiness is the stupidest basis for nationwide public policy that I have ever heard of.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:41 PM

146 posts, read 350,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechmanOR View Post
Who's going to pay for the health care bill for 18-20 year olds alcohol related stupidity?
Who's going to pay for the health care bill for 21-100 year olds' alcohol-related stupidity? Your argument does not hold up. Especially considering that young adults who want to drink, like myself, will drink regardless of what the law is. My body is mine, and I don't need Big Brother telling me what I can and cannot drink. I am old enough to legally get married, join the military, be tried as an adult for breaking the law (and in states with a death penalty, I am more than old enough to be executed). Yet the law is so ridiculous that I can be tried as an adult for Minor in Possession of Alcohol!

Allowing 18 year old adults to drink legally will take some of the drinking out of the woods or frat parties and into their homes or restaurants. The 21 drinking age, like the War on Drugs, is a miserable failure. As Jello Biafra said, for every prohibition you create, you also create an underground.

I am 19, and I drink responsibly, moderately, and never drink & drive. And, I will never require hospitalization for alcohol abuse or alcohol poisoining. Meanwhile, there are dozens of people I know in their mid 20's who I wouldn't be surprised to hear do require it.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:04 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What you do or don't personally depend on for your happiness is the stupidest basis for nationwide public policy that I have ever heard of.
Excuse me, fyi I was not basing my personal happiness on the nationwide public policy, I was simply talking about me personally. Honestly, I don't really care about the drinking age being raised one way or the other. Being old enough to drink is actually great, but my point is that if that right were taken away from me today, I wouldn't really care either, as I don't NEED alcohol. Your interpretation of what people are typing is among the poorest I've ever come across, so i guess we're even now. Think before you try and put meaning to typed words that have no voice or facial expressions to go with them, and ask what people were saying before launching an all out attack. I'm out of this damn thread, have a nice day.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:12 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
I seldom drink anything but a couple beers. Frankly I could do without any alcohol ever again. It makes a person fat, rots liver and kidneys, and puts loved ones through a lot of misery. I vote for 21. But I know the teens want to learn how to puke their guts out because some don't know when to quit. I have seen first hand the destructiveness of alcolhol. Drinking sucks. BTW I like the taste of beer, not the effects of it.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:17 PM

146 posts, read 350,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I seldom drink anything but a couple beers. Frankly I could do without any alcohol ever again. It makes a person fat, rots liver and kidneys, and puts loved ones through a lot of misery. I vote for 21. But I know the teens want to learn how to puke their guts out because some don't know when to quit. I have seen first hand the destructiveness of alcolhol. Drinking sucks. BTW I like the taste of beer, not the effects of it.

Moderate drinking does not contribute to obesity, cirrhosis, or chronic renal failure. It has been shown in multiple studies to improve a person's health; alcohol in moderation is good for you. Time and time again in this thread the obvious has been stated: people will drink, whether the long arm of the law tries to stop them or not. By having alcohol available legally to 18 year olds, they are allowed to have better access to the options of drinking in the safer environments of their home, restauraunts, or cultured and decent social functions instead of in hiding or in the openly alcohol-abusive culture so prominent in American universities.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:25 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphKNS View Post
Moderate drinking does not contribute to obesity, cirrhosis, or chronic renal failure. It has been shown in multiple studies to improve a person's health; alcohol in moderation is good for you. Time and time again in this thread the obvious has been stated: people will drink, whether the long arm of the law tries to stop them or not. By having alcohol available legally to 18 year olds, they are allowed to have better access to the options of drinking in the safer environments of their home, restauraunts, or cultured and decent social functions instead of in hiding or in the openly alcohol-abusive culture so prominent in American universities.
Unfortunately Ralph, I've seen the bad side of drinking. Believe me if you have seen chronic alcoholism you just hate the stuff. I can't prevent drinking but it is an emotional thing with me. Moderaation works for some I'll grant you. Nobody should make a fool of themselves with it. The worst thing about drinking and drugs is the big waste of time they are. A GREAT BIG WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!

Last edited by hdwell; 09-01-2008 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: added a sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.