Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
What small % of people? NY has over 8 million residents. More than any other city in the US. People are coming to NY everyday with a dollar and a dream. Just because you can't afford to live there, don't sh*t on it. NYC is the greatest city in the world! Hands down.
Why is it that people form NYC have the right to say this,but people from Texas can't???

Old 09-02-2008, 09:51 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
DC's Finest is awesome.

okay, i admit i had a bit to drink while i posted this thread, but i stand by my convictions.

Quote:
Why is it that people form NYC have the right to say this,but people from Texas can't???
i thought they do already?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:55 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
What makes a city that only a very small % of people can afford to live in the greatest city ever?
If the ideal of being a great city equates to affordability then Athens, London, Rome, Paris, Tokyo, Moscow would all be excluded since NYC has a lower cost of living than most of them. The reason a city is 'great' is because the talented, rich, powerful, intellectual and educated want to live there, driving up the cost of living.

Affordability = Great city.... Very flawed argument.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:53 PM

705 posts, read 3,298,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
The reason a city is 'great' is because the talented, rich, powerful, intellectual and educated want to live there, driving up the cost of living.

The fact that their is over 8 Million people living in this city is why it's so unaffordable. Not becuase the rich and intellectual want to live there; if so then most celebs would live in N.Y. rather than L.A. Lets not forget that young professionals don't all want to live in N.Y.C. but are driven to many different cities in the nation and world. NYC is just an urban metropolis and thats what attracts most people. The question that NYC is the greatest city in the world is very opinion based rather than actual fact lets not forget that.

IMO, any city that is affordable can be a Great City.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:07 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
Ever as in all-time? NO I repeat no, I'm no NY basher but NY is just great. All of those cities that Widowmaker2k mentioned has WAY more history than NY and has contributed MORE to the world (think a little before y'all respond). NY is a great modern city but is NY on the same level as Rome, Egypt, London, Athens, etc, when they were at their peak? Then you can't really make the claim, see ya.
But they aren't at their peak anymore. I frequent Rome, and have been to Athens and London numerous times. While beautiful cities with history, they've got nothin' on NYC when it comes to "greatness."

Old 09-02-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
If the ideal of being a great city equates to affordability then Athens, London, Rome, Paris, Tokyo, Moscow would all be excluded since NYC has a lower cost of living than most of them. The reason a city is 'great' is because the talented, rich, powerful, intellectual and educated want to live there, driving up the cost of living.

All are more expensive except Athens, which is a few spots below NYC on the affordability list. But since when did affordability measure greatness?

The definition of "greatness" I'm going by is

unusual or considerable in degree, power, intensity...

so yeah, I'd say New York. Hands down.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:21 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
I thought it said "NYC - gayest city ever".

I was like....huh!??

Old 09-02-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I thought it said "NYC - gayest city ever".

I was like....huh!??
LOL no, that would be San Francisco.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:25 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times
Ok, you totally missed my enire point. I was not in any way saying that the population of NYC is small. NYC is a very expensive place to live and more people cannot afford to live in NYC than people who can live there was my point. I would think affordable housing would be a major factor in determining "the greatest city ever".

That's all I was saying. Certainly not trying to disrespect anyones hometown.

Of course if someone said something that I thought was offensive about Chicago, I don't think I would think much about it. I am open minded enough to realize people have different views than mine and we don't always agree, just like the OP and me. No biggie.

cr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
What small % of people? NY has over 8 million residents. More than any other city in the US. People are coming to NY everyday with a dollar and a dream. Just because you can't afford to live there, don't sh*t on it. NYC is the greatest city in the world! Hands down.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:14 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,861,584 times
london and paris are the greatest cities in the world. new york is the greatest city in the united states (maybe north america)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.