Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 PM

395 posts, read 523,466 times

Advertisements

It seems ironic. We had a that disruptive little War, but we still cant seem to get along. Northerners hate Southerners, Westerners hate Easterners, etc. There seems to be a spiritual element at work. We are becoming closer as a country- in terms of travel

However, it seems regional predjudices still divide us. Will this ever end? Or will it get worse? I even hear some people calling Red States 'Jesus Land'.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 11:05 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times
People are stupid.

I think most regional differences are just talked about jokingly. You will have some people that honestly believe what comes out of their own mouths. But I think for the most part people joke about our differences.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:17 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
It seems ironic. We had a that disruptive little War, but we still cant seem to get along. Northerners hate Southerners, Westerners hate Easterners, etc. There seems to be a spiritual element at work. We are becoming closer as a country- in terms of travel

However, it seems regional predjudices still divide us. Will this ever end? Or will it get worse? I even hear some people calling Red States 'Jesus Land'.
It's actually "The United States of Jesus" if you want to get technical.

Alright... Serious answer...
I think that because our country is getting "closer" that it's pushing us apart. Nowadays we know too much about each others' differences to really all get along as one anymore.

It won't ever end as long as people are people. It will probably just get worse too.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:22 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
We're just a big country. That's it. And, technically, we are a republic of 50 individual states, meaning each state has its own quirks and its own culture that contribute to the over-all American experience.

Anyone who has ever driven cross-country knows just how humongous our country is. To expect people from flat, hot Florida to behave or think the same as people 3,000 miles away in chilly, mountainous Seattle is absurd.

I see nothing wrong with our regional differences, and I see nothing wrong with the gentle ribbing that goes on between states and regions.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:26 AM

6,336 posts, read 11,083,649 times
If we filled in the Mississippi River with concrete we'd no longer be a country divided.

Seriously blueva, I don't see it on the scale that you do. These regional prejudices don't seem any stronger now than they did a decade ago. If you are basing your opinion on the comments made by people on this forum then I'd have to say you get more extreme opinions here than by the average person you'll run into during the course of an average day. It's the nature of this kind of forum to attract a few zealots.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:40 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
because of statements like:

"its not worth trying to reason with a Yankee"

"If by "lifestyle" you mean being brash, rude, unfriendly, and refusing to serve sweet tea, then I guess you're right!"

"Amen, brotha! Fight those Yankees"

"And I would barf if anyone called NOVA the Northeast, but thats just me."

with statements like this, you are SERIOUSLY asking this question?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:50 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Just look at the Political board. Talk about hate! All because of how someone votes.

Last I checked everyone wanted a better America. Why does it have to matter how someone votes?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,181,348 times
Nice screen name

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Just look at the Political board. Talk about hate! All because of how someone votes.

Last I checked everyone wanted a better America. Why does it have to matter how someone votes?

Old 09-18-2008, 10:08 AM

304 posts, read 904,509 times
"Westerns hate easterners?" nah....maybe on the boards but in real life our coast reigns supreme, anywhere past the missisippi to a Californian is stinky and cold land.

We dont have "hatred" like the petty fights "northerners" and "southerners" bring up . We are indifferent towards the rest of the country meaning in real life we could care less where your from, we are still the most dominating factor in the U.S...i know it makes people steaming mad but just accept it...

Old 09-18-2008, 10:38 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,550 times
There's differences, sure, but the "culture war" is really something invented by the media, I suppose to fill time on 24-hour cable news networks. If you take a look at the data, or go out into the country and talk to people, it doesn't really exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.