Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 09:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

I swear if I see one more post by Mimzy Music wanting to change something: name of the midwest, definition of the midwest, def. of the south, etc, I am going to scream!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 01:21 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,400,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I swear if I see one more post by Mimzy Music wanting to change something: name of the midwest, definition of the midwest, def. of the south, etc, I am going to scream!
agreed, this is out of control.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:59 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,705 times
OP,
Would you prefer the Widmest??
Would you rather have a Drof than a Ford?
Or a Yvehc rather than a Chevy?
It is what it is for a reason.
I hope your SO is named Bob instead of boB.
And Mom is mom instead of moM.
And Dad is dad intead of daD.
Well, at least you can't get them wrong.
Why is a carrot called a carrot instead of a buffalo?
BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT WE CALL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Look at old history books. There was a time when anything west of Ft Pitt, (Pittsburgh) was considered "the west" including Ohio, Indiana, etc.
The maps haven't always looked like they do now as far as U.S. ownership.
When "Manifest Destiny" came along then we started moving west. And the "west" eventually was considered as the midwest after we actualy did move toward the Pacific.

Last edited by Robhu; 07-01-2009 at 04:21 AM..

Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
OP,
Would you prefer the Widmest??
Would you rather have a Drof than a Ford?
Or a Yvehc rather than a Chevy?
It is what it is for a reason.
I hope your SO is named Bob instead of boB.
And Mom is mom instead of moM.
And Dad is dad intead of daD.
Well, at least you can't get them wrong.
Why is a carrot called a carrot instead of a buffalo?
BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT WE CALL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Look at old history books. There was a time when anything west of Ft Pitt, (Pittsburgh) was considered "the west" including Ohio, Indiana, etc.
The maps haven't always looked like they do now as far as U.S. ownership.
When "Manifest Destiny" came along then we started moving west. And the "west" eventually was considered as the midwest after we actualy did move toward the Pacific.
Are you nuckin futz??

Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
I had somebody call Tennessee midwest once?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huttah View Post
Mid as in centered east and west.
and west as in cowboys and indians.
mid-west.
ta da.
So thats how it is!!!!Thanks, I didn't know that!

Old 07-03-2009, 12:45 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,077,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I find it annoying when someone is dismissive of a city because it's located in either Nebraska or Iowa. Omaha and Des Moines aren't cities? Google them and look at images, if you can be bothered. To say they aren't cities as casually as you did, is wrong on all levels.
Sorry but I have to disagree with you here. IMHO Des Moines and Omaha aren't real cities. For one thing, there are more people living in Milwaukee County than there are in Omaha's entire metropolitan region. The City of Madison is larger than the City of Des Moines and Madison also has a larger metropolitan area than Des Moines. Having said that, I don't really consider Madison to be much of a city either. You have to at least exceed 1 million people before you can call yourself a city.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:33 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,633,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree with you here. IMHO Des Moines and Omaha aren't real cities. For one thing, there are more people living in Milwaukee County than there are in Omaha's entire metropolitan region. The City of Madison is larger than the City of Des Moines and Madison also has a larger metropolitan area than Des Moines. Having said that, I don't really consider Madison to be much of a city either. You have to at least exceed 1 million people before you can call yourself a city.
By that definition, Milwaukee isn't a city either. Unless you meant the METRO has to exceed 1 million people.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:05 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,077,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
By that definition, Milwaukee isn't a city either. Unless you meant the METRO has to exceed 1 million people.
That is what I meant. Milwaukee has over 600,000 people in the city and just over 2 million in its metro.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:28 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,864,292 times
The part that was the northwest territory (before the pacific northwest stole it) should switch back to that name. It sounds quite uppidity. Maybe that's why Seattle and Portland had their rennisances a few years back (like 40) and are doing so well now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.