Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Forest Type do you like Better: Deciduous or Coniferous Forest?
Deciduous Forests 51 60.71%
Coniferous Forests 33 39.29%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:33 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Coniferous forest, as a climax vegetation, sustains very little speciation. It is a nearly-dead environment, with extremely weak and inert soil. If you clearcut coniferous forest, you basicly have a wasteland left behind. If you clearcut deciduous, it is very fertile.

I'm with the desert people. America's deserts have a rich and varied population of plant and animal species.
Alaska's forests certainly support a lot of life...

I like both types though I would like to see some maples around me in Alaska like in VT, but still, spruce is nice. And there are birches and aspens here and there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:34 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times
Well, in the Midwest, mostly what you'll get is a mix of deciduous/coniferous forests. I personally prefer coniferous because they are more aesthetically pleasing to the eye (at least for me) and they are great lookers in the winter for sure....and the smells, as Steve-O pointed out earlier, are just great. Deciduous I guess I like because they lose their leaves in the winter and they grow back in the regular season...coniferous forests never alter their looks at any time of year.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:44 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Depends on where youre at. Would I rather be in drab Nevada's central desert or in Irish countryside farmland? IRELAND ANY DAY!!!!! Some areas of the desert are sooooo flat and soooooo desolate that its beyond lame. If that was the case, give me farmland any day. But if youre talking about central Kansas farms over the Chihuhuan Desert? Ill take the desert.

Make sense?

yeah pretty much i get what your saying....it's all about the diversity and intangible beauty of the particular place.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:56 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,755 times
What about Mixed Deciduous/coniferous forests, as is common throughout much of the South?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,608,489 times
Well as Steve-o said decidous for the looks and coniferous for the smells.

The only bad thing is when your in an area that has lots of coniferous trees more than likely the soil will be sandy-acidic making it hard to grow any crops except maybe potatoes. Decidous seems to thrive more off of dark soils or even some clay like soils that are prevelant in the south. Also needles from coniferous trees seem to leave stains on asphalt and sometimes even concrete. I don't know if its the acid or what?

All in all the coniferous scents sure do help ya relax. Nothing beats a good ol pine air freshner. lol That's what I use in my cars.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,909 times
Deciduous.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:45 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,030,222 times
Probably conifer for me, due to more foliage all year.

Redwood Forest: Conifers

And our conifer forests currently have understory highlights of autumn color from vine maple, dogwood, poison oak, and more.

The page above, are redwoods. I was at one of those groves yesterday.

Now, the image below, is from Oregon, several weeks ago. I call this spruce Jurassic Tree - north coast near Manzanita.
Attached Thumbnails
Which forest type do you like better: Deciduous or Coniferous Forest?-jurassic_tree_800.jpg  

Old 10-06-2008, 01:52 AM

And here is another photos I took around August 15th. A redwood that is about 25 feet across.

It has a horizontal limb that is about 6 feet in diameter emerging from it's trunk about 200 feet up, but the rain was too heavy this past week to get a photo of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Which forest type do you like better: Deciduous or Coniferous Forest?-titan_800.jpg  

Old 10-06-2008, 01:52 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,354 times
Coniferous: Largest trees in the world, smell great, and stay green year round. Though, as far as deciduous trees go, it's pretty amazing when the groves of quaking aspens turn red and orange in the fall, from a distance it looks as if there is a wildfire burning through the pine trees.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Coniferous: Largest trees in the world, smell great, and stay green year round. Though, as far as deciduous trees go, it's pretty amazing when the groves of quaking aspens turn red and orange in the fall, from a distance it looks as if there is a wildfire burning through the pine trees.
I like the mixed forests, like between Shady Cove, Oregon, and Crater Lake. Both evergreen and trees like quaking aspen.

Also, driving to the Oregon coast, I like the areas where the alder trunks line the streams, flanked by western red cedars and hemlocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.