Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metros could Atlanta overtake?
Washington D.C. (pop. 5.3 million) 99 46.92%
Miami (pop. 5.4 million) 121 57.35%
Houston (pop. 5.6 million) 48 22.75%
Philadelphia (pop. 5.8 million) 88 41.71%
Dallas/Ft. Worth (pop. 6.1 million) 26 12.32%
Chicago (pop. 9.5 million) 8 3.79%
Los Angeles (pop. 12.8 million) 5 2.37%
New York City (pop. 18.8 million) 7 3.32%
None of the above 50 23.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 07:30 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Lmao.

Riight. Because people are really considering Dayton, Ohio as a place to live.
First off, they would be considering the Cincinnati-Dayton metro Area, which will be the nation's 14th largest in 2010 Note that my posting name is Dayton- NATIAN, referring to this bond these cities will share .

Second, Dayton has many cultural activities, museums, universities, and creative thinkers, along with an astonishing history (know why you can fly in a plane, sort your cash, have a pop-top can, or start a car without a crank? Think Dayton). In addition, Cincinnati, only 1 hour away, can easily rival many of our nation's cities based on these factors alone, including Atlanta, and if that's not good enough for you, Columbus and Indianapolis are also less than 2 hours away, as well, which I have heard is the same amount of time required to get across Atlanta's metro. In addition, we have a lot of different industry, from military to food to retail and beyond (Abercrombie and Fitch and Victoria's Secret, along with all of Limited Brands, are based in Columbus. Iconic Macy's is actually based in Cincinnati. Air Force One frequently slumbers in Dayton (including every other past Air Force One besides Reagan's), and yes, almost all of its maitnence is done in the Gen city, too.

Take a look at the city you are critizing before you dismis it as a cowtown. I have done so with yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 07:37 PM

542 posts, read 1,499,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
First off, they would be considering the Cincinnati-Dayton metro Area, which will be the nation's 14th largest in 2010 Note that my posting name is Dayton- NATIAN, referring to this bond these cities will share .

Second, Dayton has many cultural activities, museums, universities, and creative thinkers, along with an astonishing history (know why you can fly in a plane, sort your cash, have a pop-top can, or start a car without a crank? Think Dayton). In addition, Cincinnati, only 1 hour away, can easily rival many of our nation's cities based on these factors alone, including Atlanta, and if that's not good enough for you, Columbus and Indianapolis are also less than 2 hours away, as well, which I have heard is the same amount of time required to get across Atlanta's metro. In addition, we have a lot of different industry, from military to food to retail and beyond (Abercrombie and Fitch and Victoria's Secret, along with all of Limited Brands, are based in Columbus. Iconic Macy's is actually based in Cincinnati. Air Force One frequently slumbers in Dayton (including every other past Air Force One besides Reagan's), and yes, almost all of its maitnence is done in the Gen city, too.

Take a look at the city you are critizing before you dismis it as a cowtown. I have done so with yours.
Not from Atlanta. I like Ohio. But you flew off the handle and bashed a region that I happen to be a part of. I didn't criticize -- all I did was state a fact.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:56 PM

12 posts, read 21,557 times
Okay I just saw where Deacon posted that Atlanta has grown by double digits every decade for the last 150 years?......You might want to visit the Atlanta City website,and check out their figures.Yours are just a little higher.Not much,but a little.I think you missed about 15 years where the pop went down..And you accused another of "apparant envy".I thought that was me!!!!!...Oh that`s right I`m the fiction guy..not for long with the stuff you post though.I think you better get someone to help you.Your defense of Atlanta is pathetic,and in reality I like Atlanta.Would rather live there than many many places....please get someone to weigh in here.You are getting your butt kicked.You have to remember that if you accuse other people of posting fiction that you have to make sure you aren`t posting fiction.....The guy ragging on the other guy from the rust belt for degrading Atlanta..you should get him to help you.He sounds like a worthy defender of Hotlanta(don`t you hate that?)
Now this is just a fun debate..I really do like Atlanta...AND I really am not trying to offend any residents of Atlanta.Just having fun,and learning things I never knew.Even at my age.....And I respect Deacon as a person.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:00 PM

Are you nutz?Cross Atlanta in 2 hours?By plane maybe if you don`t count the time embarking,and debarking...

Old 07-05-2009, 08:19 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdaweather View Post
Okay I just saw where Deacon posted that Atlanta has grown by double digits every decade for the last 150 years?......You might want to visit the Atlanta City website,and check out their figures.Yours are just a little higher.Not much,but a little.I think you missed about 15 years where the pop went down..And you accused another of "apparant envy".I thought that was me!!!!!...Oh that`s right I`m the fiction guy..not for long with the stuff you post though.I think you better get someone to help you.Your defense of Atlanta is pathetic,and in reality I like Atlanta.Would rather live there than many many places....please get someone to weigh in here.You are getting your butt kicked.You have to remember that if you accuse other people of posting fiction that you have to make sure you aren`t posting fiction.....The guy ragging on the other guy from the rust belt for degrading Atlanta..you should get him to help you.He sounds like a worthy defender of Hotlanta(don`t you hate that?)
Now this is just a fun debate..I really do like Atlanta...AND I really am not trying to offend any residents of Atlanta.Just having fun,and learning things I never knew.Even at my age.....And I respect Deacon as a person.
Deacon was referring to the Atlanta metro, not the city itself...and he was correct in his assertions. Unlike so many on this forum, he consistently backs his statements up with researched facts.
I can't really understand how a person can insult someone and also tout their respect in the same post. Pretty passive-aggressive IMHO.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:54 PM

Passive-agressive?......Well it`s okay for him to dismiss everyone as envious..and to say they are stating fiction.A kind word for lying..That`s okay?That`s an insult to me.....and since you are weighing in..what facts?What research?......I haven`t seen any.Please.....this isn`t politics.Just saying a person backs up his statements with facts doesn`t make it so.Again I know you all are smarter than me,but when I go to the US Census Bureau website,and they say they are releasing the census on Jan.1,2010 I think they might be telling the truth..even though Deacon says he saw the newest census..which has to be 2010 since they do it every 10 years....and by the way..I love Decatur.Really nice city.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:15 PM

Default quiting

That`s it.Im leaving....I do this to have a little fun,and get educated....but now it`s just arguing...And now my cousins(in Atlanta) read my posts,and called me up yelling.... so no more.....my family will be mad...I won`t have a place to sleep when I visit......so here goes:

I`m sorry if I insulted anyone..especially about their lovely city,and suburbs.I truly like Atlanta,and the people..even if most are Yankee`s!No I`m sorry I didn`t mean that..Yankee`s are okay to....I won`t even tell y`all where I live because you`d have a field day with me..even though I think it`s Shangrila.And no it ain`t Huntsville,or Alabama..so Hasta LaVista everyone,and God bless you all.From Ohio,to Fl.,to Texas,and the whole world.
Did you read that Claudette & Bud?

Old 07-05-2009, 09:19 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdaweather View Post
Passive-agressive?......Well it`s okay for him to dismiss everyone as envious..and to say they are stating fiction.A kind word for lying..That`s okay?That`s an insult to me.....and since you are weighing in..what facts?What research?......I haven`t seen any.Please.....this isn`t politics.Just saying a person backs up his statements with facts doesn`t make it so.Again I know you all are smarter than me,but when I go to the US Census Bureau website,and they say they are releasing the census on Jan.1,2010 I think they might be telling the truth..even though Deacon says he saw the newest census..which has to be 2010 since they do it every 10 years....and by the way..I love Decatur.Really nice city.
Take the time to read Deacon previous posts; he is generally quite well-informed and is certainly respected in the GA and ATL forums. And to his credit, he doesn't have to resort to telling other posters that their defenses are pathetic and that they are getting their butt kicked. Really, what is this, the elementary school lunchroom?

Old 07-05-2009, 09:35 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,295 times
In all honesty, metro areas like Dallas and Houston are built denser than metro Atlanta (as are most all of the areas out west). Many of the suburbs have small lots in comparison to the Atlanta area (especially outside of I-285 where lots are quite large). Look at views on Google Earth and you can see the difference in lot size and density.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 PM

Default you read

I did...and for you to say he`s informed is silly.You may like what he has to say,but that doesn`t make it so...now HE dismissed me.Said I was posting fiction....dismissed others saying "you are just envious it`s obvious"..is that a way to discuss something?To prove a point?No it`s what people do when they are wrong....I`m outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.