Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metros could Atlanta overtake?
Washington D.C. (pop. 5.3 million) 99 46.92%
Miami (pop. 5.4 million) 121 57.35%
Houston (pop. 5.6 million) 48 22.75%
Philadelphia (pop. 5.8 million) 88 41.71%
Dallas/Ft. Worth (pop. 6.1 million) 26 12.32%
Chicago (pop. 9.5 million) 8 3.79%
Los Angeles (pop. 12.8 million) 5 2.37%
New York City (pop. 18.8 million) 7 3.32%
None of the above 50 23.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:37 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times

Advertisements

In all fairness, has anyone taken the time to look at the dates of DeaconJ's posts?

Almost 3 years ago, and he was a new member at the time... clearly irritated and probably just beginning to wrap his mind around the typical C-D urban elitist mindset which takes time to digest, trust me! A Philly poster was making comments about the tackiness and inferiority of Atlanta's housing stock, and Deacon was simply letting him know that what tastes like sugar to some, may very well taste like sh*t to others... which IMO is commendable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 01:49 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
It will pass Philadephia and DC, by metro population because they are not growing as fast as the Atlanta area.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:54 PM

644 posts, read 1,019,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Do you live in a cave, no Atlanta is not important at all, just has the CDC, the busiest airport in the world, etc, etc.
I always love when Atlantans bring up their airport, "busiest in the world". It may be the largest metro with only one airport as well. Do you really think it would be the busiest if NYC, LA and Chicago had only one major airport to serve their entire metro?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:23 PM

59 posts, read 143,344 times
It's going to pass Miami, DC, and Philly relatively soon, since it is currently growing much faster than any of these metros. Both Houston and Dallas are growing at about the same rate so it is unlikely to pass either of those.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-13-2011, 02:57 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
With the way DC is growing, I don't see ATL taking it over any time soon, and as DC continues to grow it's only inevitable that the CSA will include Baltimore anyways (unless this strictly MSA).

I picked Miami (didn't see Philly) because it's landlocked and in foreclosure crisis big time, and for a long time!

Old 07-13-2011, 02:59 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Does everyone from ATL truly feel that the population growth rate will sustain itself indefinitely, or even for the next 10 years? I don't. I think the recession is going to have a major impact on relocation and that is Atlanta's biggest growth driver (vs. say, immigration, natural births, etc).

Old 07-13-2011, 03:02 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
In all fairness, has anyone taken the time to look at the dates of DeaconJ's posts?

Almost 3 years ago, and he was a new member at the time... clearly irritated and probably just beginning to wrap his mind around the typical C-D urban elitist mindset which takes time to digest, trust me! A Philly poster was making comments about the tackiness and inferiority of Atlanta's housing stock, and Deacon was simply letting him know that what tastes like sugar to some, may very well taste like sh*t to others... which IMO is commendable.
I did see they are old but Deacon is still around and his points were false.

Am sure there were many outlandish statements on all fronts but i will tell you my place is in that picture and it sure didnt come cheap

Old 07-13-2011, 03:11 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
With the way DC is growing, I don't see ATL taking it over any time soon, and as DC continues to grow it's only inevitable that the CSA will include Baltimore anyways (unless this strictly MSA).
The CSA already includes Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Does everyone from ATL truly feel that the population growth rate will sustain itself indefinitely, or even for the next 10 years? I don't. I think the recession is going to have a major impact on relocation and that is Atlanta's biggest growth driver (vs. say, immigration, natural births, etc).
No, it won't. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I did see they are old but Deacon is still around and his points were false.

Am sure there were many outlandish statements on all fronts but i will tell you my place is in that picture and it sure didnt come cheap
Fair enough although I don't believe that was implied.. seemed more retaliative than anything.

On topic, Miami to me seems most likely to be overtaken by Atlanta particularly assuming the influx of Miamians to Atlanta sustains recent volumes.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:46 AM

345 posts, read 833,448 times
Miami for sure. Miami is past its prime and won't ggrow as much this decade, where as Atlanta will still have really good growth.

The reason why D.C. and Baltimore are considered two separate is because they are both two very historical cities. They both have their individuality, historically and culturally. People know Baltimore and they know D.C. as two separate cities, very different cities. Plus, 20 years ago there wasn't as much development/sprawl that would connect the two like it does today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.