Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times

Advertisements

Whiskey Creek... Ft. Myers, Florida. All the streets are named after a type of alcohol.

Pretty funny considering that the entire subdivision is surrounded by churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
I like it when they name the streets after the types of trees that were removed or the types of wildlife that was displaced to build them. Deer Run Lane? - guess what, the deer hauled *ss out of there when the dozers came along.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:57 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
I can't stand the ones that add an "e" after Point, like "Heritage Pointe". Also, the ones that use the "The ______ at ______" construction. Here in St Paul, there is a 90s office strip mall built in an old 90s warehousing/freight terminal neighborhood called "The Crossings at Vandalia". (Vandalia is the side street by the development, I have no idea what the "crossings" are, unless they are referring to a railroad crossing a half block down the street).

My all time favorite cheesy name is Town 'n County Florida. It's actually an entire suburban town outside of Tampa!

Do goofy names like these actually attract residents and tenants? Hard to believe they would.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
I always laugh when I see the sign for Timber Ridge Estates in the middle of the flat grassland of west Texas.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:18 PM

362 posts, read 1,855,534 times
I live in Summerfield Estates, which is a part of Summerfield Manor, which is a part of Woodbridge Estates. There is no "summerfield," there is no manor, and there are no estates, and there certainly isn't a woodbridge. When I first moved there, I actually thought there would be a woodbridge.

Other funny names in my area:
Winding Creekway (the creekway in question now "winds" through a culvert under the plastic houses)
Bay Shore (I'm in a very land-locked states with no significant lakes)

Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I can't stand the ones that add an "e" after Point, like "Heritage Pointe". Also, the ones that use the "The ______ at ______" construction. Here in St Paul, there is a 90s office strip mall built in an old 90s warehousing/freight terminal neighborhood called "The Crossings at Vandalia". (Vandalia is the side street by the development, I have no idea what the "crossings" are, unless they are referring to a railroad crossing a half block down the street).

My all time favorite cheesy name is Town 'n County Florida. It's actually an entire suburban town outside of Tampa!

Do goofy names like these actually attract residents and tenants? Hard to believe they would.
LOL you remind me that in Brunswick, GA there is a large subdivision called Belle Pointe...actually, it is two subdivisions...the 'lower-end' half is called Belle Point; the pricier, more upscale section is Belle Pointe. For another $100,000, you get to tell people that you live in the part with an 'e' on the end.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
This is exactly what I was going to post. "Pebble Brooke," "Towne Square," "The Shoppes at ___" --so pretentious, tacky and nauseating! Also hate any development full of McMansions with "Manor" or "Estates" in the name. Come to think of it, I hate all of the phony, baseless names given to suburban developments, but some are so ostentatious you just have to laugh.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
There is a subdivision in Destin, FL called Destiny. I've spent years mocking the name every time we drive past one of their signs.

I live in Caribbean Village East (not to be confused with Caribbean Village West or Caribbean Village South or Caribbean Village Central in the same mega-development) in what's one of the the least tropical/Caribbean parts of Florida.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
This is exactly what I was going to post. "Pebble Brooke," "Towne Square," "The Shoppes at ___" --so pretentious, tacky and nauseating! Also hate any development full of McMansions with "Manor" or "Estates" in the name. Come to think of it, I hate all of the phony, baseless names given to suburban developments, but some are so ostentatious you just have to laugh.
Agree 100%. I would have written the exact same thing.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
In Rockville, Maryland there is a subdivision called King Farm. In it there are streets like Longhorn Crescent, Deer Meadow, Trotter Farm, Treemont, Barnside, Grand Champion, Saddle Ridge, Pure Springs, Pasture Side, and Thompsons Dairy.

The thing is....this place was built when the government foreclosed the real Thompson's Dairy and the adjacent farm and sold it to developers after the farmers could no longer pay the increasingly high property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.