Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM

11 posts, read 26,305 times

Advertisements

I am from southern Indiana, and while I enjoyed growing up here, the people are somewhat backwards and starving for culture. Do any of you have some top cities in the US that you feel would be fantastic for bringing up a family. I would prefer to be able to own a few acres of land (5-20). Nice bodies of water is definately a bonus!!

A great school district should also be adressed. I love the feel of University towns, but I feel it's hard to get culture unless the city has at least 200,000+ (not always true).

I loved the feel of Columbus,OH, but I was wanting to maybe get out of the midwest.

North Carolina and the east coast have been on the radar recently. Do any of you that have traveled exstensively have any thoughts?

Last edited by biocmp; 07-25-2006 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 01:14 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Look into Aiken, SC. 20 minutes from Augusta and 40 from Columbia. Good old fashioned Southern charm, plenty of pond, lake, and river access. Property here is still affordable, and the people are nice.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:06 PM

46 posts, read 259,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biocmp
I am from southern Indiana, and while I enjoyed growing up here, the people are somewhat backwards and starving for culture. Do any of you have some top cities in the US that you feel would be fantastic for bringing up a family. I would prefer to be able to own a few acres of land (5-20). Nice bodies of water is definately a bonus!!

A great school district should also be adressed. I love the feel of University towns, but I feel it's hard to get culture unless the city has at least 200,000+ (not always true).

I loved the feel of Columbus,OH, but I was wanting to maybe get out of the midwest.

North Carolina and the east coast have been on the radar recently. Do any of you that have traveled exstensively have any thoughts?
Sounds more like Wisconsin of Minnesota, if you want water. Madison or Mpls have culture and universities, but you're going to be well out of town if you want 5-20 acres

Old 07-25-2006, 04:01 PM

158 posts, read 814,676 times
Yeah, you're not going to get land near a major (or minor) city unless you're outside the burbs. Minneapolis and Madison are great choices.

Do you like cold or warm weather? NC has Raleigh-Durham (home of Duke) and of course its close neighbor, Chapel Hill (home of UNC-CH). So, you could research the surrounding towns there.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:17 PM

11 posts, read 26,305 times
I appreciate your thoughts!! I've looked at those places and Chapel hill seems nice but too small. I'm looking at fort collins because of the awesome location!! I just can't figure it out. In 3 weeks I will be done with class and I will be going to 1 or 2 spots to see them in person. Fort Collins will be one of them (at least I think so right now) Any other suggestions? I am looking anywhere people tell me too. I'm checking out all of the statistics.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:44 AM

61 posts, read 94,386 times
Depending on how far you want to be from the water, Richmond VA may work for you. It's about 2 hours from the beach, just under 200,000, I think it's in the 190's, houses University of Richmond and VCU, and if you head west you have the mountains. Schools there vary but can be good, and there's no place more historic than Richmond and surrounding areas.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
By East Coast standards, Baltimore is quite laid back, at least compared to DC, Philly, New York, and Boston and there is plenty of water nearby. At heart this is still a blue collar area which contributes to the friendly, down home, non-elitist feel. The liberal elitism that dominates teh East Coast is not so prevalent here.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Sounds like Portland Oregon to me:

Portland Oregon Tourist & Vacation Information - Travel Portland

Old 01-13-2009, 07:22 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biocmp View Post

Souds like you would like Knoxville TN, Tuscaloosa AL, Charleston SC and on a much larger scale Houston, San Antonio or Nashville

Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Tallahasee, Florida. Not far from the Gulf, huge university town, no burbs so you'll have areas with a lot of land close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.