Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 AM

53 posts, read 240,899 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm Naya and i'm Afro-Latina (Haitian and Dominican) and my boyfriend is White (English, Irish and French).

I'm originally from Chicago, IL and he's from Grand Rapids, MI currently we both reside in Michigan. I miss big city life and he's looking for something larger than GR but smaller than Chicago.

Being a part of an inter-racial couple has been hard both living in Chicago which is extremely segregated and GR which has close to no Black/Latino residents.

Where is a city that is used to seeing inter racial couples? Where we won't get stares of hatred, rude comments, etc at just walking down the street holding hands engrossed in one another?

Does anywhere like this exist even?!

We're young. 21 and 23 respectively and we like to be out and about. We're not into the club/bar/rowdy scene. I'm a yuppie and he's a bit of a loner/artist type (oh yeah, somewhere where he can play hockey and I can buy arroz con gaundules and fried chicken a huge plus! lol)

We've no kids and all the time in the world. We're open to moving almost anywhere in the States. We've had some bad experiences visiting southern States though, so probably nowhere down south.

Please help us find somewhere to call home.

Naya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 08:21 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Maybe Seattle?

Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Somewhere out in California?

Old 03-06-2007, 08:49 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
oooh yeah, we are an IR couple too-

come to Philly, its not utopia but it is safe for IR couples and you see plenty of IR couples(IKEA is mecca for IR shopping and seeing other families). It is normal here.

Columbia MD is another place

Northern Virginia-arlington, alexandria

DC

Baltimore

Atlanta

Albany NY

Montclair NJ-near NYC

San Jose Cali

Seattle WA

Denver co

Houston Tx

San Antonio Tx

Austin

Miami

Phoenix AZ

Minneapolis MN in your area

Old 03-06-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
oooh yeah, we are an IR couple too-

come to Philly, its not utopia but it is safe for IR couples and you see plenty of IR couples(IKEA is mecca for IR shopping and seeing other families). It is normal here.

Columbia MD is another place

Northern Virginia-arlington, alexandria

DC

Baltimore

Atlanta

Albany NY

Montclair NJ-near NYC

San Jose Cali

Seattle WA

Denver co

Houston Tx

San Antonio Tx

Austin

Miami

Phoenix AZ

Minneapolis MN in your area
Wow, really? Philly? That's actually where we've been looking into moving. What area or neighborhood would you suggest? CC? Lots of people are recommending Olde Kensington to us, how is that? I've never been to Philadelphia before.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:25 AM

your husband being artsy an you yuppie it Northern Liberties might be cool for you guys. I live in Center City, in the gayberhood, where cafes, restaurants, the theatre and art district is. You would love it in Center City.

My favorite is Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy and Manayunk. West Philly(University City) is ok too for young couples. Just dont go Northeast, South Philly or North Philly. They are scary places with violence, racism, and poverty.Things found in most big cities.

In CC and Chestnut Hill, you will see lots of Interracial couples and my wife and I say Sundays must be IR Day cause we always see our folks out on that Day!!

come and check it out and if I can help let me know.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:30 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
Leaving the Midwest? too bad.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:31 AM

hey Naya, go to the thread, "Forested cities on the east coast" and scroll down. You will see lovely pics of Philly

Old 03-06-2007, 09:40 AM

naya,

where in the South did you guys travel? The south isnt as bad as you might think, unless you are in rural areas(but that is the same up north).

I am from the South, born and bred. As a black male married to a white female, we travel down often. Atlanta, Charleston, Charlotte, Alexandria, Nashville, Austin,Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Miami Savannah, are fine with IR couples--esp your combination, much less for bmwf

Old 03-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
your husband being artsy an you yuppie it Northern Liberties might be cool for you guys. I live in Center City, in the gayberhood, where cafes, restaurants, the theatre and art district is. You would love it in Center City.

My favorite is Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy and Manayunk. West Philly(University City) is ok too for young couples. Just dont go Northeast, South Philly or North Philly. They are scary places with violence, racism, and poverty.Things found in most big cities.

In CC and Chestnut Hill, you will see lots of Interracial couples and my wife and I say Sundays must be IR Day cause we always see our folks out on that Day!!

come and check it out and if I can help let me know.

LOL! Sounds great! jejejeje.

People have been recommending an area called Olde Kensington. How is that neighborhood?

Also how do I search for these neighborhoods? I've been trying rent.com and apartments.com but I can only search by county. Is there an easier way? Do you know of a site I can use?

Thanks heaps for the information. It is greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.