Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:40 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Everyone can have their own opinions. If you were born and raised in Omaha and don't have much to compare to it, then yeah, you'll think there's a lot to do. But if you're from a big city, it may seem more dull. It all depends where you come from.
Oh I completely agree. I'm simply saying these threads make more sense if you compare with other similar cities.

And without a doubt, Omaha has much better options than many cities it's size or bigger. Like I said, you can't please everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:07 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Everyone can have their own opinions. If you were born and raised in Omaha and don't have much to compare to it, then yeah, you'll think there's a lot to do. But if you're from a big city, it may seem more dull. It all depends where you come from.

Sigh...

I live Downtown Omaha and have many friends that live down here that are locals and transplans from bigger and better cities and they are quite happy here.

I'd give my Downtown a 7/10.

I live and work Downtown and don't have a car and it suits me well. There is plenty of restaurants, bars, and clubs to go to and plenty of places I still haven't been in the over 2 years I've lived down here.

The Old Market is great, but it's far from being the only place to go for things DT. That's just where it's the most concentrated. There are many nameless pockets of activity Downtown frequented by DT residents and others who know where to go.

Downtown Omaha has over 8,000 people in the just the downtown and we have 2 dedicated grocery stores with numerous small markets and specialty shops and bakeries. We also have great parks Downtown and along the river with big open areas and bike trails that are part of a network from here to St. Louis. It's a very recreational Downtown.

We have a good arts scene. Jun Kaneko has his museum and workshop down here and his warehouse is the next block over from my house. Omaha also has the countries largest artist-in-residencey with people coming from all over the world to develop their abilities in Omaha. The arts community puts on many free events throughout the year that are well attended by the public. The Hot Shops are a popular place in town with glass blowing and other arts in the physical sculpture medium.

There are also plans to turn a now vacant part of north Downtown into another large artist colony for all mediums with the artists educating the public. Saddle Creek Records is HQ'd Downtown and they bring national tours and put on popular local shows as well. Their is also a new 3 screen independant theater downtown which has Alexander Payne (famous local director, Sideways, Election, About Schmidt, Citizen Ruth) is on the board of directors and he is a Downtown resident as well.

I could go on about the good but there are somethings I would like to see get better. Most of them are in the process of changing now.

-Infill of surface lots should always be a priority.
-A first run theater. They're building one in Midtown which isn't really far from me but I would like to have one Downtown as well.
-Better transportation around DT. There are shuttles in the daytime but not eny other time. Downtown covers a large area and hoofing all over the place can get tiresome. The plan for streetcars is in the funding stage but will be starting the next year or two.
-I would like to see more male clothing stores. Lots of stuff for the girls but only Urban Outfitters and Amercian Apparell for guys. And I'm not a toothpick
-The homeless. I hate homeless people here. The stupid churches are always feeding them in the park so they all just swarm there and hang around. They're disgusting.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:07 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
So who wants to make the list of downtowns ranked against each other?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:18 AM

196 posts, read 992,689 times
Boston's Downtown:

Quality of Density: 10
Entertainment: 9
Cleanliness: 8.5
Public Transportation: 9
Landscaping: 10
Variety of Architecture: 7
Shopping: 9
Convenience: 10
Current Development: 8
Available Land For Future Development: 4
Sunlight Quality: 10
Lack of Blight: 8.5

Last edited by BubbyBu; 01-21-2009 at 10:40 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
lol, oh please. Have you been to other cities Omaha's size? Omaha is leaps and bounds above most. How many entertainment/restuarant options do you need?

Holland Performing Arts Center - Qwest Center - Orpheum Theater - Slow Down - Rose theater - Durham West. Museum - Joslyn Art Museum..etc etc (You can leave the old market, but I'm guessing you haven't been downtown in quite some time)

I could go on and on but some people are impossible to please...
I go downtown often. I do not count a deserted business district with an arena a mile away sorounded by parking lots a vibrant downtown. I like going to slowdown a lot but it is sorounded by silly looking hotels and blocks of dirt fields. That is so cool and urban.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:24 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
lol, oh please. Have you been to other cities Omaha's size? Omaha is leaps and bounds above most. How many entertainment/restuarant options do you need?

Holland Performing Arts Center - Qwest Center - Orpheum Theater - Slow Down - Rose theater - Durham West. Museum - Joslyn Art Museum..etc etc (You can leave the old market, but I'm guessing you haven't been downtown in quite some time)

I could go on and on but some people are impossible to please...
I think people are using a different scales. Some use a more absolute rank while others are being comparative to cities of similar size.

For instance, if I was rating Pittsburgh compared to every other city in the U.S. (including NYC), I probably give it a 5 or so. However, if I was rating it compared to cities its own size, then I'd probably give it a 9 or 9.5.

BTW, Bubbybu, what does Sunlight Quality mean?

Old 01-21-2009, 02:33 PM

distribution and intensity of sunlight based on varying factors....ie pollution, city design, natural location, weather patterns

Old 01-21-2009, 02:35 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBu View Post
distribution and intensity of sunlight based on varying factors....ie pollution, city design, natural location, weather patterns
Personally, I think I'd give a 10 to Santa Monica then and not Boston.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 PM

great place go for it

Old 01-21-2009, 02:48 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
Hometown, Newark, NJ- 7
Nowtown, Lodi, NJ- 4

Now i lived in Jersey City during college and there downtown is a 9 or 10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.