Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:38 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
The City I want to see is San Francisco...

But I REALLY want to go on the new Skywalk at Grand Canyon which extends 70 feet out from the canyon wall and 4000 feet above the Colorado River!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 04:35 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default Well the planning is over --- Going to Oil City

Yup, supposed to be in Oil City tomorrow.

Turned out to be sort of interesting. This trip was not just to go to Oil City but I turned out to be close, so after all the big fuss, I just had to go see it for myself.

Had an interesting discussion with my BIL. He is from PA and knows the general area extremely well. Had nothing bad to say about Oil City but he has not been there for few years but had no reason or interest to go lately. Said what others have said, the better town in the area is the County seat, Franklin. Just for the record he is not super high on western PA, especially many of the smaller towns.

In fact, BIL looked at the pictures I took of Bluefield, WV and was very interested. He used to work with some folks from Bluefield and heard his share of stories about the area. Wanted to stop in there when he goes down somewhere into VW during this summer, just to nose around.

Looks like NAH really knows how to pick the hot spots.

Might be the slick selection criterion.

Been tough to come up with freebie WiFi, didn't expect to get this one.Tough to do a place like Oil City cold turkey without your daily puter fix.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:46 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Honolulu
Anchorage
Victoria BC
Been there, but would LOVE to spend more time in Halifax NS and Quebec City
Been to Atlanta a few times, but would like to go back and see it up close

Old 03-11-2007, 04:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
For me it's a draw between three cities---Minneapolis, Duluth, MN, and Madison, WI. If I should ever finally become discouraged with my "Scranton Rocks" personality, I feel as if one of these three cities would be a wonderful fit for me. I know Madison and Minneapolis are both supposedly WAY overpriced, but Duluth is very reasonable, from what I've seen. The drawback to the Duluth, of course, is the terrible economy. Then again, there's just something about waking up every morning and embracing my partner on our third-floor Victorian balcony as we overlook the beauty of the skyline and Lake Superior that makes me tingle inside. I also think living in a high-rise on the downtown isthmus between two lakes in Madison sounds phenomenal, as does living in Loring Park in Minneapolis, a very "gay-friendly" community near downtown. Then again, living on a tree-lined street in Scranton near my downtown office and my childrens' schools also sounds dreamy.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:13 PM

151 posts, read 739,793 times
Default I'd like to visit....

• New York City
  • more of New Jersey (I've been to Asbury Park, but I would also like to visit Atlantic City and Wildwood)
  • New England
  • California (Los Angeles and San Fransisco)
  • Key West
  • Las Vegas
  • Outer Banks
  • Minnesota
  • Hawaii

I probably have more.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:16 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
i have a list of places. I'll be going to check out the Northern most part of California next month. On the way back I'll take a look at some towns in Southern Oregon.

Those places are closest to where I live. I can then check them off my list or leave them depending on what we like.

Next I'd like to see both West Virginia and New Mexico. I have been to both of these states but it was several years ago. It'll take some time to see all these places and get the list down to just a couple of places.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:44 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
I'm going to be taking a vacation soon (my first true vacation in nearly three years!) and am kicking around ideas about where to go. While I'm heavily leaning towards going overseas or someplace in the Caribbean (not sure if that qualifies as "overseas"), I'm also heavily considering making a trip out to the Pacific Northwest, the see Seattle, Portland and Vancouver, as well as various other parts of the area. Of all the cities I've never been to, Seattle piques my interest the most. I've also never been to Miami, or to Florida as a whole for that matter since I was five years old (but the rest of Florida doesn't really interest me), and am debating heading down there. I would love to go to New Orleans as well although I have no plans to visit.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:14 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
San Francisco tops my list of wants. Once I get my act together career-wise, I would consider moving there.

I'd also like to see Key West, Las Vegas, San Diego, Portland, and Denver, too.

Oh, and Green Bay, too. Go Pack Go

Old 03-11-2007, 09:04 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
For me it's a draw between three cities---Minneapolis, Duluth, MN, and Madison, WI. If I should ever finally become discouraged with my "Scranton Rocks" personality, I feel as if one of these three cities would be a wonderful fit for me. I know Madison and Minneapolis are both supposedly WAY overpriced, but Duluth is very reasonable, from what I've seen. The drawback to the Duluth, of course, is the terrible economy. Then again, there's just something about waking up every morning and embracing my partner on our third-floor Victorian balcony as we overlook the beauty of the skyline and Lake Superior that makes me tingle inside. I also think living in a high-rise on the downtown isthmus between two lakes in Madison sounds phenomenal, as does living in Loring Park in Minneapolis, a very "gay-friendly" community near downtown. Then again, living on a tree-lined street in Scranton near my downtown office and my childrens' schools also sounds dreamy.
Scranton--Yes, Duluth is very reasonable for housing. I certainly wouldn't consider their economy "terrible". It did sink in the 70s and 80s as the US steel industry contracted, but they have bounced back since. And yes, the views are incredible from much of the city due to its geography. Many of the residential neighborhoods are built on a long steep hill that slopes down to Lake Superior. In most cities, all the "great view" lots and neighborhoods are taken up by the wealthiest, but in Duluth, because the hill is so big, there aren't enough wealth neighborhoods to take it all up! The "worst" neighborhood in town, called "Central Hillside" is--you guessed it--on the hill, and every dumpy apartment and dilapidated home there has the same fabulous view of the Lake, the harbor and the lift bridge as the old moneyed neighborhoods to the east. You really should take a trip there to see the city. It is unique!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:22 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Seattle and S.F., for sure. Possibly Portland.

Honolulu is a beautiful city.

Hey SWB, what is the deal with Scranton? I have read alot of your posts, is it really that great? I have been to Philly; never west of there though.

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.